9 of Cups - Always feels sad!

Pandora MoonRaven

OK So I read here and don't remember who (Apologies!) that she didn't like the Star because for her it wasn't a happy card it was dark. Well I always seem to feel the same way about the 9 of cups. I know that typically the cups is about enjoyment..the person is happy, smiling, in druidcraft cheering. However all I ever see about the card is that for such a happy person they are always alone and the card holds a strong sense of lonliness and/or false happiness. It makes me feel melancholoy. This really hammered in when I just acquired Mystic Tarot and the girl in the card to me looks sad and depressed...I thought FINALLY a deck that agrees then I read the meaning in the book. She is supposed to look lost in thought and daydreaming/content.

Why do I always see this card as lonely and showing a false sense of happiness? The best part is I am fiercly independant, career woman..I am married. I just can't figure out why I carry this from deck to deck. How does this card make other people feel. I want to contemplate your meanings and try to turn my thinking around. :eek:)

rwcarter

Pandora,

I don't have the Mystic, but I do have the Druidcraft. Looking at the card, you don't see who is to the immediate left of the figure, who's to the far right or who is directly across from the seated figure. So you can't say for certain that he's alone.

Another way to look at it is this. Maybe this is the first big party that he's been able to throw. He's really proud of himself. And before his guests arrive, he sits at the table, picks up his glass and thinks about how wonderful it's going to be to give the welcome toast to his guests. That moment is going to be the highlight of his life, and he's savoring it before it happens.

HTH,
Rodney

Pandora MoonRaven

Hi Rodney,

I like that!!! Your right! Perhaps I have somehow managed to get a very narrow view of this particular card. I love that thought. Off to go stare at the DruidCraft. Thank you for that.

rwcarter

You're quite welcome! :)

Rodney

rwcarter

I believe she's talking about the Mystic Dreamer, which is newly released by Lo Scarabeo.

HTH,
Rodney

ETA: GMB, as you progress with your tarot studies, you'll find that different decks can give a different mood to the same card. Sometimes that "mood" slightly changes the meaning.

GreenMoonBeam

RWC, noted that in my Tarot diary. I thought the deck may well have been the
Mystic Dreamer. Looking only at the card images here at AT, I thought 'dark' at
once. Those images do not even show this card. I grasp the OP's feeling.
Thank you as always.:love:

GMB! :):

balenciaga

I think the Star is Dark (or at least futile)

Is is possible that 9 cups makes you "sad" because you are not ordinarily happy when you are alone? Because you might be co-mingling the 9 pents "aloneness", "independence" with the 9 cups image. I find the way I learned something from the beginning often sticks with me and is hard to dislodge.
Because the 9 cups is a minor, it can represent a wish on the mundane plane. The Star's wishing is of a higher, philosophical, diaphanous order, and can denote "wishing in vain for something unreachable".

Feretian

"I hate the Star Boo!" is from Pao and it's here: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=104086&highlight=hate+star+

I don't know your deck, but look at all the nines together. They start with the Hermit, and I interpret in them (in RWS, anyway) a sense of being a solitary presence. And a bit of yearning. And being unfinished.

I hate the six of cups, boo.

Grizabella

What we get from our cards is influenced a lot by our own "baggage" so it's probably something about your own life or your life in the past that brings this up for you. Were you the child of or the wife or partner of someone who drank a lot---especially alone and not in a social setting? Of course, I'm by no means a psychologist or psychiatrist, but it might be something like that. It might be food for thought, maybe. :)

I know it's really hard for me to use the Bohemian Gothic to read for anyone else because every card in that deck drags "stuff" up out of my childhood and young years for me. I'll probably use it for a special journaling project one of these days.