9s and solitude

Aset

I have recurring confusion over 9s and whether they always indicate some kind of solitude/loneliness. Logically I realize they shouldn't, but I tend to default to that conclusion when say the Hermit or 9 of Disks comes up in a relationship reading. The Hermit is just all around somewhat of an enigma to me. I get it, hermits do things by themselves, but it just seems so limited to me. How does the Hermit interact with other people? How does 9 of Disks interact with other people? And why is it that 9 of Cups, for example, seems to escape that interpretation all together?

wulzcat

I have recurring confusion over 9s and whether they always indicate some kind of solitude/loneliness. Logically I realize they shouldn't, but I tend to default to that conclusion when say the Hermit or 9 of Disks comes up in a relationship reading. The Hermit is just all around somewhat of an enigma to me. I get it, hermits do things by themselves, but it just seems so limited to me. How does the Hermit interact with other people? How does 9 of Disks interact with other people? And why is it that 9 of Cups, for example, seems to escape that interpretation all together?

Hi Aset, I also think the 9s are kind of solitary cards... i have come across that idea too, that multiple 9s in a reading suggest isolation in some form or other... I don;t think just one in a reading necessarily means that though. The 9s are about reaching some sort of culmination and maybe that's always something for the solitary traveller? It's a point of gathering oneself to oneself and reflecting on what you've learned or lost on the journey from 1 - 9... and then 10 is kind of back to 1 again (numerologically speaking). Maybe. ;)

starrystarrynight

I sort of look at it this way, too: Nines do harken back to the major nine (Hermit) in that they are solitary and seeking the truth or final closure of their suit. For Cups, the Nine is not quite at the emotional satisfaction of the Ten. In Pentacles, the lone person in the image is not quite at the point of solidity or final stability where s/he has something of her/his own to pass down as legacy. With Wands, there is still an obstacle s/he needs to surmount to bring the ego to rest on his/her shoulders. And with Swords, s/he has yet to get past the anxiety and worry about the potential effects of the upcoming Ten.

In all those cases, the person is alone under those energies to deal with them by him/herself. There is no balance of it being an even number (and I feel that all odd-numbered cards are similarly unitary for the position they hold in their suits because of that, as well.)

Thirteen

What is left to learn only you can teach

I have recurring confusion over 9s and whether they always indicate some kind of solitude/loneliness.
I don't know if it's "loneliness" so much as completeness within oneself. You stop interacting with others--which you might have been doing through most 1-8--in order to integrate all you've learned. Thus, it's not about limiting yourself from outsiders or outside experiences; rather, it's a matter of taking all those experiences you've had with others and taking time to make them a part of yourself.

That's what the Hermit is about as well. There comes a point where you've learned all you can on a subject. You have completed all the courses. And now you take time to go over it all. And maybe, like the Hermit, you still feel there is more to learn, but the only one who can teach you more is yourself. Like Einstein who reached the limits of what was known in physics and had to work alone in that patent office as he "taught himself" what more there was to know. Other people won't help at such times. You need time, room, and your own experiences to help you find what you're looking for. What will make you, here on this earth, complete.

As for 10, I know many believe that one starts over again there, but, at lest to me, 10 is 9 +1, meaning (IMHO) it goes beyond the 9. Beyond the physical ideal to the spiritual ideal.

Thirteen

Knowing how to make people happy

And why is it that 9 of Cups, for example, seems to escape that interpretation all together?
It actually doesn't. The card presents that time prior to the party where the "host"--all by his lonesome--sets up the cups for his guests. Think of it this way: did you ever have one of those friends or relations who when you arrived at a party had everything taken care of for every guest? Had a vegan version of the dinner for the one vegan, and gluten-free cookies for that other person, had games ready to amuse the kids, saved a certain chair for someone with back trouble? Or how about a restaurant or tavern that knows you so well that they have your favorite drink--prepared just the way you like it--ready at your favorite table as soon as you arrive?

This is why, in part, it is the "wish" card. Which, by the way, doesn't mean as most people think that you'll win the lottery or a new car. Rather it's about getting whatever you might "wish for" emotionally. Like when a friend takes one look at you and gives you that perfect hug and pulls out a pint of your favorite ice cream--which they magically seem to have on hand--which is exactly what you needed to help you get through a tough time. This is the card of the "Host" who isn't a part of the party but who, before opening the doors to his tavern, prepares for the party. Like all other 9-cards, his knowledge (in this case of how to make people happy) is so complete that he can prepare each cup before hand so that guests feel as if they were granted their wish. Yes?

poivre

It actually doesn't. The card presents that time prior to the party where the "host"--all by his lonesome--sets up the cups for his guests. Think of it this way: did you ever have one of those friends or relations who when you arrived at a party had everything taken care of for every guest? Had a vegan version of the dinner for the one vegan, and gluten-free cookies for that other person, had games ready to amuse the kids, saved a certain chair for someone with back trouble? Or how about a restaurant or tavern that knows you so well that they have your favorite drink--prepared just the way you like it--ready at your favorite table as soon as you arrive?

This is why, in part, it is the "wish" card. Which, by the way, doesn't mean as most people think that you'll win the lottery or a new car. Rather it's about getting whatever you might "wish for" emotionally. Like when a friend takes one look at you and gives you that perfect hug and pulls out a pint of your favorite ice cream--which they magically seem to have on hand--which is exactly what you needed to help you get through a tough time. This is the card of the "Host" who isn't a part of the party but who, before opening the doors to his tavern, prepares for the party. Like all other 9-cards, his knowledge (in this case of how to make people happy) is so complete that he can prepare each cup before hand so that guests feel as if they were granted their wish. Yes?

Amen & Thank You! :D

Finally that "wish" card explained in english!

wulzcat

That is an interesting take... I see the 9 of cups as emotional completeness in and of itself, which is of course solitary. And as a wish card, it signifies something that either will, or you believe will, bring you emotional completeness. Whether it does or not is another spread entirely...

Luna-Ocean

I've always associated all the 9's in the Tarot as being a self reliant card, they do not need anyone else to make them feel fulfilled but only them selves. All the 9's have a similar self sufficient tendency to each of the cards including the 9 of cups interpretions, i think being able to do things on your own without the help from anyone else is quite an independent person and that's how i view the Hermit.

Thirteen

Depends on which side of the bar you're on

That is an interesting take... I see the 9 of cups as emotional completeness in and of itself, which is of course solitary. And as a wish card, it signifies something that either will, or you believe will, bring you emotional completeness. Whether it does or not is another spread entirely...
My take is that the 9/Cups can stand for either. Like when you get the Hermit card. If you are the Hermit, you will illuminate your own way and find your own answers to the mysteries that still remain for you. If the Hermit stands for someone you meet, then they can offer you illumination to the mysteries. So, too, the 9/Cups. Either you are the Host and can find your own emotional completeness--gain your emotional wish for yourself--or you will meet a Host and they, with all their knowledge on how to be emotionally complete, will give you the right Cup--grant you that wish. It all depends on which side of the bar you're on ;)

Thirteen

I've always associated all the 9's in the Tarot as being a self reliant card, they do not need anyone else to make them feel fulfilled but only them selves. All the 9's have a similar self sufficient tendency to each of the cards including the 9 of cups interpretions, i think being able to do things on your own without the help from anyone else is quite an independent person and that's how i view the Hermit.
Very nice way to sum it up! I like that.