A 'deep' dark deck?..

Nickigirl

I love the way it reads. The people are so expressive. And I just love the colours and art.

Penthasilia

I wonder though, is this one of those decks where you need to read about every goddess on every card to understand the meanings? And if so, does the LWB provide enough info?

No- you can read it immediately- that was my one test for it. The LWB provides a little more in relationship to who the goddesses are- but not much above that. The larger book will be fantastic for learning more- if you want to.

In my mind- reading the LWB to gain access to the courts was lovely as it helped solidify the ideas behind the personalities in this particular deck. You can read it directly without using the LWB if you wish- to me the additional info adds layers so you will probably end up wanting to learn a bit more- but it is nice that it isn't overwhelmingly detailed so it serves as a very nice reference- even if the larger book is purchased later on. :)

Nickigirl

Thank you for info on that! :)

FraterGrant

Just my opinion-

Let me start off by saying that I love all things dark- from clothing to music, and it pervades through my favorite tarot decks as well. Now, by dark things, I don't mean gothic. I attribute a lot of the dark decks to be this strange fantasy goth inspired artwork that just emanates a level of inexperience and a sense of child like gore. Its just not the kind of dark that I prefer to play with.

I would suggest the Hermetic Tarot. It is all black and white and is marvelously deep and full of symbolism. I couldn't recommend any other deck but one that would help you learn more about the tarot.

There is the Wild Unknown Tarot. It deals with dark themes with beautiful artwork- and it helps bring the darkness through it's rather sketchy and neurotic artwork.

As stated about I would also look at the Mary-el. The deck is fantastic for meditation, or for cutting the boarders off and using as artwork on things that you cherish. If I ever lose a few cards from a deck I use the rest of the deck as artwork or bookmarks. I have even written my contact information down on own of these now miscellaneous cards.

Finally, I would recommend the Thoth deck. This is my daily deck and I love its darkness and how steeped in history the deck is.

Good luck on finding the perfect one for you!

dancing_moon

I love the way it reads. The people are so expressive. And I just love the colours and art.

Thanks, I'll be definitely looking at it more!

I would highly recommend the Dark Goddess tarot- after receiving it and having the opportunity to use it, this is a wonderful deck!

http://www.darkgoddesstarot.com/dark-goddess.htm

Thanks for letting me know!

I would suggest the Hermetic Tarot. It is all black and white and is marvelously deep and full of symbolism. I couldn't recommend any other deck but one that would help you learn more about the tarot.

Thanks for this one! I do prefer colored decks, but this one looks really intriguing.

There is the Wild Unknown Tarot. It deals with dark themes with beautiful artwork- and it helps bring the darkness through it's rather sketchy and neurotic artwork.

It's definitely one of the options.

As stated about I would also look at the Mary-el. The deck is fantastic for meditation, or for cutting the boarders off and using as artwork on things that you cherish. If I ever lose a few cards from a deck I use the rest of the deck as artwork or bookmarks. I have even written my contact information down on own of these now miscellaneous cards.

That's a great idea! Makes a very personalized business card. :D

Finally, I would recommend the Thoth deck. This is my daily deck and I love its darkness and how steeped in history the deck is.

Good luck on finding the perfect one for you!

I'm still looking at the Thoth from some distance. It looks a little too wild for me (for the nowadays me, anyway :D). It might change some day, though.

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Chimera Dust

I just wanted to say I love this thread. I can't help you (sadly) but I know exactly what you mean! Most "dark" decks out there use more obvious imagery like vampires and corset-clad ladies but the ones that don't are often too "light" for me. I like things that are dark but not in a "dark fantasy" kind of way.

I think you might enjoy the Bosch Tarot. I wouldn't consider it particularly dark but it's sort of eerie in a way that is more psychologically unsettling than in-your-face gore and fangs. Other than that, I'm going to keep an eye on this thread!