a little freaked out

theora

so I've been offering email readings and so far most of them have gone really well. now it has come up that someone is asking me "when will I become pregnant" and this question is freaking me out. aside from the fact that I am not one of those folks who is good at predicting "when" questions, I am extremely leery of this topic. I'm not sure if I even want to attempt to read on it at all!

halp? advice? am I being paranoid?

Marcia959

I'm a fan of not doing any reading you're not comfortable with, no matter what the reason. Whether it's due to your own sense of ethics and the topic is too much like a medical diagnosis for your comfort OR it's due to your lack of confidence about pinning down that "when" question, it doesn't matter. You can just say that you may not be the best person to answer that question if you don't feel comfortable with it, no harm, no foul.

IF you know someone who reads who is comfortable with this kind of question, you trust them, etc, you might give the sitter a referral to another reader. I think it's always good to have a "reader buddy" network because sometimes you can just tell that the sitter will get a better experience with a different reader; and your buddy network can refer you, too!

Best wishes!

FatesLady

I don't blame you - I get really nervous about questions like this as well, and "time" is the thing that I have the most trouble with in Tarot. I would do as Marcia suggested. Refer her to a Tarot friend who DOES these readings, or just let her know that you can't help her this time.

tarotmama

You could suggest she change the question to something like "what kinds of conditions will need to be met before I get pregnant" (that sounds so clinical, but you know what I mean...) or try a 4 card "seasonal" spread to let her know what kinds of energies are going to be present for her in the coming year?

I don't like to answer questions like that either -- and I wouldn't answer a question like "Am I pregnant"... but I think there are ways to rephrase the question to offer her helpful advice.

gregory

Tell them you don't do health readings as that is the business of doctors ?

theora

so I decided to respectfully decline to read on that particular question. beyond it being a medical issue, pregnancy is just so fraught, and I really do not feel comfortable approaching the subject. it's kinda the ultimate "third party reading" too - heh. I want to be helpful but it seemed like there were too many possible risks involved in that topic and it seemed like the possibility of doing more harm than good was very real, and close to the forefront.

thanks everyone for your input.

Umbrae

When will I become pregnant?

Well for starters there is no way to verify gender online. There are folks on these purple pages who are not who they say they are.

So you must verify the person is female.

Second – they must be able to become pregnant. Pre-menses and post menopause prevent this condition as doe’s hysterectomy.

Third – sexual activity must be present. Oral or anal do not produce the results we are discussing.

Even face to face with a sitter, there’s no way to guarantee all three requirements have or will be met. Some questions are the ‘test the psychic’ kind. That said – it could also be a genuine question with all the requirements in place…

What I’d suggest – is see what the cards actually say…you may be surprise.

TarotGirlUK

Umbrae said:
When will I become pregnant?

I agree, just designate a system first, for example:

Moon = Month,
Sun=Within a Year,
More Suit than another = The season it represents.
The Magician = Imminently
High Priestess = Unknown factors

Just some :lightbulb's

Anna

Umbrae said:

This is exactly what I would do too.

I always think; if someone is brave enough to ask the question (who knows how long they have been building up the courage, if it's a biggie), then they deserve to hear the truth as you read it in the cards.

zan_chan

Umbrae said:
Third – sexual activity must be present. Oral or anal do not produce the results we are discussing.

I'd say that if the person asking this question isn't already aware of the above, then its probably for the best that they don't get pregnant anyway. :)