A platonic relationship: 6 cups?

palin

Hi,

A friend does not seem to get anywhere in her relationship with her new boyfriend. I have done several readings and the 6 Cups keep coming up about his feelings for her. First I thought ' well she reminds him of someone from the past'.
This card came up so often about this 2 people I am thinking it refers to a strong aspect of the relationship. I have picked on a few comments my friend made ever since she has met him. She has said a few times that she enjoys their time together as it is very innocent.
Today she asked me to do a reading about' his feelings for her'.
In the current state or in favour position 6 cups came up. In the 'against' position, the 'devil' came up (the outcome was 2 swords).
I am beginning to think the 6 cups could be a problem in this relationship where the physical aspect (or just passion) might be missing, hence a blocked situation for now...
What do you think? And how would you approach a querent about this?

frelkins

Yup, the 6 is often seen as a "friendship" card. He might not feel any chemistry for her.

On the other hand, he might be a "friends first" kinda guy who actually *respects* her and wants to get to know her before beginning a physical relationship, instead of just hooking up with her meaninglessly or being a f***buddy.

Focus a reading on that, I'd say. :)

willowfox

Sounds very much like that he is not interested in going beyond the immature, innocent, friends stage, it could be that he only wants a friend to play with, to keep him company.

Eddie

palin said:
This card came up so often about this 2 people I am thinking it refers to a strong aspect of the relationship. I have picked on a few comments my friend made ever since she has met him. She has said a few times that she enjoys their time together as it is very innocent.
What you have picked up from your friends conversations is probably very relevant. The surrounding cards, do put this otherwise very positive card in a different light. It picks up the platonic flavour of this relationship. This is great if nothing more is desired by either party. You don't mention the type of relationship they do have. Are they a romantic couple? or do they resemble a couple who go out and do things they enjoy but without the romance. or are they both and the romance should be there? These are questions you need to ask.
palin said:
Today she asked me to do a reading about' his feelings for her'.
In the current state or in favour position 6 cups came up. In the 'against' position, the 'devil' came up (the outcome was 2 swords).
Its a friendship. The appearance of the devil in this position shows that there are indeed problems with this being much more than that. I would see this combination as this guy possibly stuck in the past, in a negative way, therefore stopping him from seeing beyond any other possibilities with this relationship. He clearly is in a bit of a dilemma. He feels helpless to change things for some reason. Does this couple have a past? which maybe he hankers for, or this is possibly about an old flame.
palin said:
I am beginning to think the 6 cups could be a problem in this relationship where the physical aspect (or just passion) might be missing, hence a blocked situation for now...
What do you think? And how would you approach a querent about this?
I would agree with you here, the six is a problem if your friend wants more than just friendship. This is a question you would need to ask.
If this was my querent, these cards would urge me to ask many questions, for I feel that she may be a little confused as to what she does want. She seems to enjoy the innocents, could she be giving the wrong signals? yet she questions the relationship.
If its passion she is after, it clearly is not here in this relationship. You need to be honest and straight about the cards. Don't be tempted to disguise what they are really trying to say, just because she is a friend. She has come to you for answers and you need to give them to her, even if its not what she wants to hear. Hard for you I know, but you would be doing her and your cards an injustice if you did otherwise.
This couple need to talk frankly to eachother.
Hope this helps,
Eddie:heart:

berrieh

The 6 of Cups has elements of both innocence and friendship (as well as memory/nostalgia), but it doesn't in any way exclude romance in my opinion. In fact, I see it as a great foundation for romance and it often comes up very favorably in romantic spreads.

In my experience, 6 of Cups often stands for friendship and comfort that leads to real love through true compatibility and empathy. While it's not the electric infatuation of the 2 of Cups or the developed, committed love of the 10 of Cups, it's still a good relationship card, in my opinion, though you won't find a lot of fireworks. All depends on whether you want fireworks or not.

With The Devil working against it, I'd say your friend's obsession with 'problems' and perhaps even a desire to move quickly to the physical realm would be what works against it, whereas the innocent 6 of Cups energy they have is nurturing their relationship (the 'in favor' position).

Since it was an 'in favor' position, and it's a generally favorable card as well, I'm not sure why it would be the problem. For that, I'd examine The Devil since it is both an unfavorable card generally and in the negative position...

For the 6 of Cups, I'll point out a particular card that strongly influences my 'idea' of the card... In the Jane Austen Tarot, the 6 of Cups depicts the central couple from Mansfield Park, who grew up together, the closest of friends. Henry is comforting Fannie in the picture on the card, giving her true solace. All along they each loved each other and had a deep compatibility, yet it took them awhile to get it together because they did not know how to express the passionate side of their love yet. It already existed; it just had not been spoken yet. Personally, I've always thought that a very accurate view of what the 6 of Cups could mean for love.

Of course, surrounding cards would be indicators, but the two mentioned don't make me think that the 6 of Cups warns of it being 'purely platonic' forever.

Mellifluous

Since she enjoys their time together, and refers to him as a boyfriend not a friend, I would ask what specifically is meant by 'not seeming to get anywhere'. (At this point you are assuming, right? She has not said.) Then, as berrieh said, I'd explore the Devil card in relation to that.

6 of cups is a great card for romance or for friendship. It's often indicates a 'soul mate' type of bond or a past life connection, if you believe in either of those things. It doesn't preclude fireworks or anything like that. 6 of cups here shows what is going right, not problems. :)

BLFO

Yeah, 6 cups can be romantic. It has a lot of fondness. Or innocence type of love. Not really lusty and hypersexual. The type of love that makes you feel like a teenager all over again.

Eddie

I would whole heartedly agree that alone, the 6 cups is a lovely card, in any relationship.
But this 6 is not alone, is it?
Lets not forget that the querent has already specified that she is not happy about the way its going for her, this has to be taken into account.
There are some obviously good aspects of this relationship, for thats why this 6 is here, however, for her and lets not forget her feelings on this, the devil does give this a completely different angle, and will have an effect on how this 6 is read. Cards always interact with eachother and do have an effect on eachother.
As the outcome card is the 2 swords, this card finishes of the picture for me.
How can anyone still be concentrating on the lovely aspects of this 6.
However lovely, it is not enough for this person and a decision will be pending.
Eddie

re-pete-a

the two cups as a result indicates that indecision and tension is gained as an end result of the dissatisfactions, THE RUST IS STARTING TO SHOW.

revised to read 2swords.
________
Coach handbags

palin

another spread

Ok,

In relation to what was said before (I am pleased this topic has inspired so many). It is true that when I said the 'relationship is not going anywhere' I think I gave my own opinion of the relationship. Due to the fact that whenever my friend is asked how her relationship is going with this guy she would say something like 'Not sure, we'll see, I don't know, can't really say...'.
She has romantic feelings for him but is unsure of his feelings. He does not appear to be taken by the relationship, he does not make plans, and after 7 months of dating she does not know if he is really 'in love'. But he has said I love you to her already.
Sorry guys, it's confusing I know. In conclusion, I think I am summing in up when saying the relationship is up in the air, not going in a particular direction..
I am not making this up but today I did a few spreads about her and him and in the 'Is he in love with her' I got:
6 cups (again!!!)
4 swords
3 pentacles

I understand that 6 cups is about spending a good time together, 3 pentacles would describe a nice bond between people. So there is good cooperation between them two.
4 swords? dormant feelings? Need for isolation?

Thanks for your comments!