A question about deck creation

NamasteIndia

lovely art work.

even im into oil and canvas paintings.
http://solaces.webs.com/myartwork.htm

i would like to create a tarot deck. Can I start painting on canvas 22x26cm since im not comfortable with paper.

canid

Of course you can use canvas. Just keep in mind it's harder to home-scan if it's stretched on a frame. Lovely art!

Curtis Penfold

NamasteIndia said:
lovely art work.

even im into oil and canvas paintings.
http://solaces.webs.com/myartwork.htm

i would like to create a tarot deck. Can I start painting on canvas 22x26cm since im not comfortable with paper.

I've never created a deck, but I imagine that if you can place the image into your computer, you don't have to wory too much. Size might change, but you can save the image the same way you do with other images on your website :) .

canid

Curtis, it's not a necessity to have it on a computer for it to be printed. I'm from the old school, before *desktop publishing*, when people actually had to use a camera to shoot the art before it was separated, made into plates, & printed. Sure, it's extremely convenient, especially when trying to market, but still not a necessity for a publisher.

Curtis Penfold

canid said:
Curtis, it's not a necessity to have it on a computer for it to be printed. I'm from the old school, before *desktop publishing*, when people actually had to use a camera to shoot the art before it was separated, made into plates, & printed. Sure, it's extremely convenient, especially when trying to market, but still not a necessity for a publisher.

That is old school LOL :p

As a matter of interest (I know its discussed in other threads, but repeating never hurts), what methods for publishing have worked for you?

canid

Curtis Penfold said:
That is old school LOL :p

As a matter of interest (I know its discussed in other threads, but repeating never hurts), what methods for publishing have worked for you?

I'm a graphic designer, started the trad way, T-square, light table & all, & I worked as a *stripper* for a printer. When a deck is printed, it's offset printing. (Newspapers, magazines, HUGE runs are done on a web press.) The only benefit to having your designs on your home computer would be to email a publisher, or print your own at home. Or, of course, send it somewhere via PDF to have someone else make the cards for you. But still, offset printing is how it's done for commercially printing cards. The art (4-color film) is laid out 4 large layout templets, which the plates are made from. Depending on the size press, they could be 4-up, to 8-up. That's how many images are printed on the same sheet of paper, then later cut down. Sure, I've printed some cards on my inkjet, then coated them myself with spray acrylic, but it's not the same as the last protective varnish or lamination from an offset printer. Unless you're using a service that someone recently posted about (I forget the name of the company) who strictly (I believe) prints digitally, then this is how it's done. Offset printing.

Curtis Penfold

So do professionals do that? Like, will Namaste have to take a picture, or do people specialized in this business come in and do that? Or is it possible to just go in and do the entire thing yourself?

I just want to see how it goes from your canvas or whatever to print.

canid

Usually the printer/publisher will want the original art & they'll take it from there. Whether it's scannable (?) or if it's a larger format, a professional photo lab will make the photo. From there the photo is scanned ie digitized, then *printed* onto 4 pieces of film, one for the black that's in the original, cyan, magenta & yellow will be on separate pieces of film, representing in a series of *dots* (resolution) on the film on each of the 4 pieces, that when overlapped give the illusion of a photo image after printed. If you look very closely at anything printed, you'll see the dots. On newspapers the dots are larger & further apart because the stock (paper) isn't high quality & the ink will bleed. So virtually any piece of art can be printed, as long as it can be photographed or scanned.

NamasteIndia

thank you everyone for your input.

that means i can use canvas for painting my tarot deck and later the canvas can be sized according to the requirements by the printer.

canid

NamasteIndia said:
thank you everyone for your input.

that means i can use canvas for painting my tarot deck and later the canvas can be sized according to the requirements by the printer.

Yup, that's it in a nutshell. Good luck!