A question about Liber T Tarot

Stark Raven

There is one deck I have been attracted to for some time. But please, how do others feel about the fact that in the Liber T deck, on one card a woman appears to be having some sort of encounter with an animal, of a sexual nature? Please tell me how you feel about this.

Zephyros

Which card is that?

Stark Raven

I fully get the meaning of the image. I am just not comfortable with the idea of whipping out this deck in front of someone for a reading with that card in there. It seems kind of weird in that sense.

Sulis

The 10 of Cups has been discussed in the Liber T study group, you may want to take a look. Here's the group's index thread, just click the link to take you to the card you want to read about: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=1122676

I know quite a few people who absolutely adore this deck but I'm not a Thoth person myself so it's never appealed to me.

Stark Raven

The 10 of Cups has been discussed in the Liber T study group, you may want to take a look. Here's the group's index thread, just click the link to take you to the card you want to read about: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=1122676

I know quite a few people who absolutely adore this deck but I'm not a Thoth person myself so it's never appealed to me.

Thank you Sulis. I appreciate this.

tarotbear

Jury is out on that one.

I don't know what to tell you - after all, there are people who are offended that the RWS has nudity in it (albeit not sexual nudity); people who get shocked easily need to get shocked more often - as Mae West used to say.

Given the exponential chances in a shuffle and a spread - how many times do you think this card could possibly come up in all the times you will use it for a reading?

If someone asked me 'what that was supposed to signify' in their card reading I would reply 'Different strokes for Different folks.'

Zephyros

I can't find a scan of the card to compare, but I myself don't mind "shock imagery" when it is useful and done well. Look, for example, at the Thoth Lust. Not only does it show what it does, but the BoT goes even further and tells you flat out that what you think you're seeing really is what is there. I don't find it gratuitous, though; it makes sense and has a beautiful, sublime message to it. The Great Whore can be a very pure, holy and beautiful idea, from the proper perspective.

Abstract, meditative ideas can be communicated in a variety of ways, and sometimes how we deal with those images is a type of "test" of how we will deal with the deck in general. Another example is the Thoth Devil. Some may use a Waite meaning for it, and in doing so completely miss the point of that card, and probably much of the spirit of the deck. We don't always have to agree with an image or agenda, but we should allow it to challenge us, to create turmoil within us, to unsteady our preconceptions, to create dialogue. Even if after the "battle" is over we appear unchanged, we aren't, and we are probably stronger for it.

So... what do you think of the Ten of Cups? })

Zephyros

Thank you Sulis, that makes things clearer!

Now, the picture itself... huh, would ya look at that...

As far as I can tell, the image is taken almost verbatim from the Picatrix, thankfully I have Scion's handy guide:

Picatrix said:
A sad man of evil thoughts thinking on deceptions and treachery; and before him a woman and an ass ascending over her, in her hand is a bird. And this is a face of ambition and of lying with women with a great appetite and of seeking quiet and peace.

All that, of course, leads to Satiety.