A question about reversed cards...

littlestar

When shuffling do you ensure all cards are the right way up and only then if the card falls in the reverse position it is read as a reverse or when shuffling the cards do you actually shuffle them and reverse some along the way as you shuffle?

afrosaxon

I reverse all the way when shuffling.

For those decks that I only read upright, I shuffle a different way to ensure that all the cards stay upright; then, if a reversal pops in, I pay special attention to that card.

T.

janee

I lay my cards on the table and mix with both hands, then pick them up and shuffle. Having done that I figure any cards that are reversed, are meant to be.

littlestar

Regarding reversals and shuffling there is no right or wrong is there? It's just what feels right to the reader isn't it?

stpcarly

janee said:
I lay my cards on the table and mix with both hands, then pick them up and shuffle. Having done that I figure any cards that are reversed, are meant to be.

That is exactly how I do it. Somethings when shuffling I may turn my deck after I've done that. But I figure by that point, whatever is supposed to be reversed, is.

HOLMES

the method

the method you use should be the one that makes the most sense to you.

for myself i found it easier just to divide the deck into three or fours, then pick up each pile, and reverse half and shuffle it well, until I had done all, upon which I combine the deck and shuffle it as a while reversing half here and there.
by the time I am done I find the deck is well shuffled, and let the cards fall where they will.
then when I turn over the cards and I find the majority is reversed,, well I know that the reading is more blocked then I figured.
or sometimes the deck is mostly upright except for one or two reversed cards.
so for me it is amazing to see the differnce from reading to reading,,
just like sometimes there are lot of majors , and sometimes a lot of court cards. but I do nothing that splits the cards up differntly.

it is much like poker where sometimes you get an all club flop and sometimes a straight board,,
and othertimes just a rainbow card where the cards arent' connected at all.

using the other method, where you upright each card and just use an reversal if it shows up mean there should be special meaning to the reversed card or should be.
but if you are forcing the deck to be upright before shuffing,, then the chances of a reversed card appearing where it should are reduced at least in my view.

if you are going to use reversed cards in my mind,, and in my opnion of course,,
one should use a well shuffled deck then that way they keep in pratice when reading reversed cards, and they dont' have to worry about being perfect sort to speak.

if i am to reuse the deck again right away out of necessarity for example, as when I read this summer all my decks were in storage.
I picked up the ten cards from the cross and tried to put them into random places in the deck and reshuffle it well,

that was to break up the energy from the previous reading and so I wont' be influenced as great if a card shows up again,, for i figure it is meant to be,
as opposed to I didn't shuffle the deck well.

Scotty_Bane

its all in the wrist

Kaley_Bane

What I do...which this is the method that makes the most sense to me...I shuffle them like I would shuffle regular playing cards. I'm not sure of the correct term for the way you shuffle a deck of playing cards but it's where you cut the deck in two, take the two ends and fan them at the same time to mix them and then mash them together at the end....this might not make sense but it's like the bridge shuffle thing except I don't do the bridge part, just the first half! Then you un-intentionally get reversed cards and you have no idea what they are and you can just cut the deck in different spots each time. But I mix this type of shuffle with also handling them and just moving the cards about etc.

SunChariot

littlestar said:
When shuffling do you ensure all cards are the right way up and only then if the card falls in the reverse position it is read as a reverse or when shuffling the cards do you actually shuffle them and reverse some along the way as you shuffle?

When I use reversed cards, which I do only about 1/2 the time, I purposely reverse some cards during the process of shuffling. If I didn't I could not get reversed cards becuase of the way I shuffle.

Babs

colorwalk

SunChariot said:
When I use reversed cards, which I do only about 1/2 the time, I purposely reverse some cards during the process of shuffling. If I didn't I could not get reversed cards becuase of the way I shuffle.
I'm the same way. The way I usually shuffle would really never give me any reversed cards unless some jumped out and I stuff them back into the deck whichever way without checking.

With the decks that I read reversals with though, I tend to get reversals in two ways, depending on what seems to fit at the moment:

One, I spread all the cards out in front and then just do the "mahjong wash" - or in other words, mix all over with both palms/hands moving in circles and whichever way. After it feels about right, I gather the scattered cards back into a pile and then shuffle normally.

Two, if I'm pressed for time or simply don't have enough space for me to do a massive mix like that, then what I do is fan the deck (or sift through if I don't have a flat space to work with)... and run my fingers across the cards. At that point, I'd get the urge to turn some here or there. I find that this method garners a less amount of reversed cards than the previous.

Lately, I've been preferring method 2 more because it feels like every reversed card is purposely created and chosen individually. So when they pop up, it's that much more significant to me.