A question for the RWS historians...

gregory

That's what Holly's site says so It Must Be True.... :D

Kosmoran

Yeah, lol... That's what Kaplan says too, so it must be the right option - especially if we think that he released the PCS Commemorative Set this year, and not on 2010.

Rosanne

Well I can guess we can apply a little logic here.
The Waite article appeared in the January 1910 Occult Review.
The letter from PCS to Mr Steglitz ws dated November 19th 1909- where she said she will send a pack ready by December 1st (1909).......

So I imagine the article and Waites book to go with the deck was already printed expecting the deck to finished after Christmas- but the printers finished it on time for Christmas gifts. So the Waite article although prepared for Pre- deck, became post- deck. The book must have been printed before the deck in anticipation of the boxed set.

I can just see Rider workers getting the deck out for Christmas- so they did the Occult Review before the Christmas break- ready for January 1910.
I have often thought how Christmasey The Magician looks! and once used it as a Christmas card cover.
~Rosy

roppo

A note: The Occult Review Holly shows in her website is the American edition, a month delaying issue. Waite's article first appeared in the British OR 1909 Dec.

Rosanne

Now it all makes sense! Thanks roppo!
~Rosanne

victoria.star

I just visited Holly Voley's site and, because of my heretofore total lack of RWS history, was excited to know that the very real dream I had of the First Run First Printing Lillies and Roses Pam Deck has some mystery in the waking world as well!
No wonder I was so ga-ga over the deck in my dream! Someone has one out there, in a well-worn, well-loved leather bifold case and that deck doesn't just talk, it SCREAMS! It GLOWS! It MELTS!
Perhaps it is someone with some connection to vegetable stands and fresh fish vending...Someone whose Grandmother has had the deck from the get-go...someone whose name starts with an "A" and has recently received an inheritance...or has come into a family business and is trying to revive it but doesn't really know how...
(These are dream-time clues. I do hope the deck surfaces, though. Not for me, but for RWS collectors and history buffs...I, like Holly Voley, would just be happy to know it exists!)

Amazon

I always thought it was 1910.
I have recently purchased The Commemorative Set by Pamela Colman Smith which includes the Centennial RWS Tarot Deck (as if I need another deck of cards).

It also contains works by PCS & a copy of The Pictorial Key to the Tarot.

It's a great buy from Amazon.com

Amazon

Bitter Almond

I read 1910 in A Complete Guide to the Tarot by Eden Gray, but I read 1909 in The Tarot by Alfred Douglas. It seems a disputed date.

Cerulean

Roppo's 2009 posting seems to be the latest information

roppo said:
I believe the first series of RWS decks was printed by Sprague & Co by December 1909. The Key to the Tarot was published in 1909 though there was the date 1910 in the book (info from Gilbert's Waite bibliograpy). Sir Ralph Shirley wrote in the "Notes of the month" of The Occult Review December 1909 that they were to be sold as a set : and the reference about the setting appeared in the adverts in the back cover of The Occult Review April 1910.

http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~elfindog/ocrvRWSads.htm

my article, FYI.

...and while I do like to look at the earlier websites and published histories as resources, Roppo's posting and his scan of things from his private collection is a very welcome addition to the information out there. I do not think it's disputed as much...well, perhaps the information did not come to light at the time the earlier authors wrote their information.

I really like the Centennial set--and if you notice, some of the additional material that Stuart Kaplan wrote about in his acknowledgments also comes from Roppo's private collection.

Best regards,

Cerulean

Babalon Jones

birthday of RWS deck

Hi there

Resurrecting this thread as I was doing some research as to what the "birthday" of the RWS deck might be.

This article shows a letter from Pamela to her agent 11/19/1909, saying she *may* have a copy of the deck on 12/1/1909

http://pcs2051.tripod.com/waite-smith_tarot.htm

This article contains a text from the Dec 1909 issue of the Occult Review that states that the deck may be available for sale 12/10/1909

http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~elfindog/ocrvRWSads.htm

So, my hypothesis is that the first complete printing was between Dec 1st and Dec 10th 1909
(I wanted to do an astrology chart for the deck. My guess is that the date is between Dec 4th & 6th possibly, as that would place the Sun conjunct the Galactic Center, explaining the deck's iconic status and people's love/hate reaction to it)