A sort out

Carla

I just went through all my decks. Laid them out on the floor, all with the Chariot card face up. Some of them I never use and kind of regret buying. Some of them I love. With my first decks, I would order a bag at once and chuck the packaging (particularly those that come in big kits with books). I wish all decks came with a sturdy, close-fitting box or better yet, in a tin! All decks should come in a tin with a good, tightly snapping lid. That would be ideal.

It's strange, going through decks. You feel like there ought to be more of them. I guess that's because I remember all the decks I've owned, and actually I've traded or given some of them away.

Also, I've done things to decks that I kind of wonder if I should have. Like cropping Touchstone. Writing on Druid Plant & Animal Oracle and on Haindl. At least with those, I can buy replacement decks cheap if I decide to, and use the ones written on as study decks only. I guess.

There are the favourites that I love and use all the time: Anna K, Druidcraft. Universal Waite.

The ones I look at and wonder what possessed me to buy them: Vision Quest, Tarot of a Moon Garden, Halloween Tarot, Tarot of the Old Path, Morgan's Tarot Deck. It's not that I don't like them, it's just, I don't know. I look at them and think, what the??

I used to love Roots of Asia, now I look at it and it just looks muddy to me, and the green borders are nauseating, and it STILL smells weird after two years. I have relegated it from its purpose-made bag back to its original box. Don't know what its fate is.

I think the most beautiful deck I own is Kat Black's Golden Tarot. Haindl is also beautiful, but for some reason it makes me feel sad. To me, it's a deck that is so emotionally complex, I can't describe it.

The one with the cardstock that I like least is Kat Black's Touchstone. I really hate the texture of those cards. I don't know why, I just don't like handling the deck. I like looking at it, just wish I didn't have to hold or shuffle it. They're grippy-like. But I'm odd because I actually like the super slick slidy indestructible US Games style lamination.

Then there are the ones that I get a sinking feeling about, because I know I will have to study hard to ever use them, and I feel almost sure I never will give them the study and care they deserve. The Herbal Tarot, Dame Fortune's Wheel, JC Flornoy's Jean Noblet Tarot, Shining Tribe, Haindl. Robert Place Buddha.

I used to think with tarot cards, the bigger the better. Now I find that if a deck feels big in my hand, I start trying to figure out a way to trim it. I do actually like smaller cards. They're easier to shuffle, and easier to lay out on a table.

I wonder what my collection will look like in a few years, and how my tastes and opinions will have changed. I know I don't have the space or inclination to keep every thing I ever buy or use, so a lot of what I have now may be long gone by then. I used to have: Lisa Hunt's Fairy Tale, Osho Zen, Rabbit Tarot 2nd edition, Bright Idea Deck, now they're gone. (Traded, given away or in the case of Bright Idea, chucked in the bin). I don't regret doing that, I don't miss them. In fact, I feel a strong desire to purge this collection. It'll make me feel better.

Interesting experience.

firefrost

Hi Carla :) been there, done that quite a few times. The result of which has been sale threads on here!

It's true that tastes change, but what I found was that I came full circle. Started off sharing a RWS deck for years when I was young, to buying loads of decks that I was determined to 'get into' (yeah, right!) to realising that the RWS system is the one for me.

I totally spoiled a Spiral deck when trying to trim it - my heart just wasn't in it and that just ended up in the bin. I wrote on a trimmed Druidcraft and just couldn't use it then.

I think I feel the same way as you about the Kat Black, although I love the deck. Up to now it's escaped my sales. Vision Quest and Moon Garden tarots I didn't keep long at all. And apologies to all Jean Noblet fans out there, but I bought the deck for a study group and it just reminded me of cigarette packet cards. I did try, but to be honest it repulsed me. The positive side of that was that I did learn a little about how to read with the Marseilles.

I've always avoided larger decks as I have small hands. Some here will say to persevere with exercising, shuffling larger cards and others will say shuffle them lengthways. I can't get used to either, no matter how I've tried over the years.

I've bought bags that I've sold on as well. I like to keep my cards in their boxes and I never throw any horrifically big ones away, in case of future sales.

Yes, it will be interesting to see how you feel/think in a couple of years' time! ;)

Dusk Till Dawn

I know what you mean. I recently looked at my Wheel of Change, and thought, I don't like it anymore, what happened? So I went through my Decks, and I felt the need to let go of some. When I did the first time, letting go of a lot of Decks, I thought, I might regret that. But I didn't , I felt much better after that.
Also, I rather have those now that I dearly love, and I finally started to use the Decks, that I always was afraid of doing so.

Le Fanu

As the owner of Firefrost's Noblet, I have to reassert that it is very dearly loved here and is one of my favourite decks and regularly gets a shuffle and a workout... :)

But Carla.. I know that feeling. I have realised over the last few months that my collection is big. And there are decks which I really don't need. I bought out of curiosity or completism or because they were U.S Games Printed in Belgium and I thought at least have a look at the better edition. Decks like the LoS Viking Tarot, Tarot of the Moon Garden, Shadowscapes, Housewives and loads of others, will never get used. And they're not the kind of thing that get pounced on in Trading either so I find I cannot even be bothered listing them.

I find that having so many decks which I know I will never bond with, clouds my vision, clutters my mind. I look at my tarot shelf and confusion reigns but then you never know. Always haunted by that thought; what if it becomes rare? Desirable? Doubt the Moon Garden will but there are others.

It's the sense of knowing which decks are for you and having an overly clouded vision which bothers me.

I have all my favourites as back ups at my bf's place. These are my "cannot do without" decks; 2nd copies of the VR, BG, Thoth, RWS, Royal Fez Moroccan Conver, Klimt, Vieville, 1001 Nights, Melissa Lenormand, etc etc. About 20 in all. The very favourites. Having only those nearby makes things clearer for me. And when I go to my place and see the - what? - 500 or so other decks (probably more by now. Maybe nearing 1,000)), I am filled with lethargy (Noblet and few others excepted). And a weird thing has happened. These 20 or so back ups by the bed have become the decks I tend to love the most...

It all feels very "Two of Swords" :(

Carla

Le Fanu, I'm a still a newbie, having bought my first deck mid 2009. But I plunged myself head first into this world and I have since bought over 30 decks. I now own 25 and one oracle (I could Druid Plant & Animal as one deck). I actually use 4 or 5 of those.

I don't know why I suddenly feel like just getting rid of some of these. Maybe if I put them in a separate storage, as you have done, they wouldn't be weighing me down.

Le Fanu

It's not officially separate storage unless you consider a 2nd house as a tarot deposit which is quite a luxury come to think of it, as that's the way my house is heading.

But I realise that having the 20 or so favourites (I must count them and get back) has made me think cleaer and has made a difference. I spend most of my time there and these really feel like my working, closest deck and I love getting them out on the bed and playing with them. It has definitely made a diference. meanwhile. The house keeps getting fuller.

It's odd as I have got rid of decks before and I have never regretted it.

firefrost

Carla said:
Maybe if I put them in a separate storage, as you have done, they wouldn't be weighing me down.

I did that to a certain extent, by putting the unused ones in the drawer under my bed.

They always get remembered when I need money. })

Cedar Wolf

Le Fanu -- have you thought about turning your personal collection into some sort of semi-public tarot library? Turn what is a burden to you into something that others might get use out of. There are lots of people who would be delighted or curious to be able to compare hundreds of different tarot decks. You wouldn't have to lend them out, even, just allow people in to look at them in-house. You'd have to work out a lot of logistical matters, but...might be worth a try as a project.

ann823

Or you could slowly work through them and showcase them on your blog. It would be a wonderful opportunity for people to see decks we'd never see otherwise, and these decks would have a purpose other than being your reading decks.

Le Fanu

ann823 said:
Or you could slowly work through them and showcase them on your blog. It would be a wonderful opportunity for people to see decks we'd never see otherwise, and these decks would have a purpose other than being your reading decks.
Nice idea. Makes sense. Never really thought about it like that. I was looking through my list today and there really are many, many decks which I never think of using. It's just that if you decide to showcase a deck on a blog, you tend to want to do it with decks that you love and want to work with, even if only for a couple of days. I look at some of these and think, why do a reading with this if I can use one that I actually like? But you're right, it would be a way to forge a connection with a deck