About a deck I don't want...

Stark Raven

I have a deck, it's beautiful, it was on the pricey side, on sale at $20.00 of the regular price at $60.00 and another $30 for shipping. I got it and was shocked to see that it had no coating, and also that the cardstock is white, most of the print is a deep blue. I want to sell it but the set it's in is large, the shipping to sell it online will be high. Because I am afraid a prospective buyer may be as disappointed as I if I were to sell it to them via eBay or some such platform, I'm not sure what to do.

The dilemma seems to be that if I tell the buyers about the defects, which of course I need to, then it may magnify the significance to people that such things wouldn't matter to. I don't want to waste the precious effort of setting up a listing for naught. I am not trying to sell anyone anything here, I want to ask an opinion. How many of you use decks that are uncoated/unlaminated and are also dark print on light cardstock? Did any of them leave ink film on surfaces they sat on? Something tells me that this one will, as the bubble wrap when I received it was blue and a bit sticky. One more thing, this deck, unused and well handled has tiny nicks in the edges, very tiny but irritating.

Do you think that this whole issue greatly reduces the value of this deck? Can I name the deck? Maybe I can say it's by Jyoti. Any advice based on what you might do with such a deck would be appreciated. (I was going to have it laminated, but the cards stick together, I would literally have to be at the print shop the whole time and take full responsibility for separating them).

rota

do you have a local tarot group you could bring it up to? Possibly someone there will have different feelings about the deck than you do.

and some people have good luck with craigslist. since the potential buyers are local, they can see the item in person, and you can make the sale without worrying about postage costs.

Stark Raven

do you have a local tarot group you could bring it up to? Possibly someone there will have different feelings about the deck than you do.

and some people have good luck with craigslist. since the potential buyers are local, they can see the item in person, and you can make the sale without worrying about postage costs.

Great suggestions rota. These specifically might not work because I am out in the boonies. The closest city is Winnipeg, it would cost someone approximately $100 gasoline to here and back to look at it. I suppose I could always get them to phone me prior to leaving and meet half way. People here look more to Kijiji, so thanks for jogging that into my mind. The Tarot groups suggestion is lovely, there are none until Winnipeg, approximately 2 hour drive; too bad :0(

Bhavana

now I am really intrigued, and want to know what deck this is! I don't see where it would be a problem to let us know or post photos of it...and not all collectors use their decks, so it's issues might not be the same to others as they are to you.

Laura Borealis

Is there a reason you can't simply return the deck for a refund? With all the defects you describe -- cards sticking together, edges nicked, etc -- it sounds like you have indisputable grounds to be dissatisfied.

AJ

now I am really intrigued, and want to know what deck this is! I don't see where it would be a problem to let us know or post photos of it...and not all collectors use their decks, so it's issues might not be the same to others as they are to you.

I'm guessing since she said she wanted to sell it, to add more information would get the thread moved to Trading, and she isn't a subscriber so that wouldn't do her any good.

If there are defects, return it for a refund. At least you will get some of your money back.
And cold comfort but many of us with quite a few decks have had the same experience, the YUCK what was I thinking when opening a deck. Most of mine have been because I got carried away with the mob mentality on gushing threads. No more :)

gregory

I have a deck, it's beautiful, it was on the pricey side, on sale at $20.00 of the regular price at $60.00 and another $30 for shipping. I got it and was shocked to see that it had no coating, and also that the cardstock is white, most of the print is a deep blue. I want to sell it but the set it's in is large, the shipping to sell it online will be high. Because I am afraid a prospective buyer may be as disappointed as I if I were to sell it to them via eBay or some such platform, I'm not sure what to do.

The dilemma seems to be that if I tell the buyers about the defects, which of course I need to, then it may magnify the significance to people that such things wouldn't matter to. I don't want to waste the precious effort of setting up a listing for naught. I am not trying to sell anyone anything here, I want to ask an opinion. How many of you use decks that are uncoated/unlaminated and are also dark print on light cardstock? Did any of them leave ink film on surfaces they sat on? Something tells me that this one will, as the bubble wrap when I received it was blue and a bit sticky. One more thing, this deck, unused and well handled has tiny nicks in the edges, very tiny but irritating.

Do you think that this whole issue greatly reduces the value of this deck? Can I name the deck? Maybe I can say it's by Jyoti. Any advice based on what you might do with such a deck would be appreciated. (I was going to have it laminated, but the cards stick together, I would literally have to be at the print shop the whole time and take full responsibility for separating them).

I have MANY unlaminated decks and use them (though I don't recall one that bled ink :D). If it is one that people want they will expect these things. If you name the deck, we may get more of an idea.

What is it worth - what someone will pay for it. Are they actual defects or a part of the deck ? Post pictures on ebay and let people make up their own minds.

But if you think it is in fact defective, you can return it to the seller.

Aerin

If you do sell it, then you absolutely should be very clear about any defects - if someone knows and buys it anyway then that's fine, otherwise they will be (as you seem to be) very dissatisfied and you may end up having to accept a return and/ or get bad feedback. Very clear description and photos essential.

But if it was "new" and is in fact faulty, and you were misled then arrange to return it...

So yes, reinforcing what others have said really.

Alternatively, put it down to experience and every time you are tempted to make an impulse buy get out the deck and re-feel the pain. (Or just use the poor thing as it was meant to be used.)

Stark Raven

It's the Healing Earth Tarot, 2nd edition. I didn't know if I should post that or not, but if it's okay, why not.

nisaba

Is there a reason you can't simply return the deck for a refund? With all the defects you describe -- cards sticking together, edges nicked, etc -- it sounds like you have indisputable grounds to be dissatisfied.

That, and there's a trading forum here. Misprinted decks are often prized as one-offs by dedicated collectors.