About Ophiuchus the 13th sign

Bernice

Minderwiz: We should remember that the 88 recognised constellations were not always 'recognised' LOL
AND
I'm quite sure the Aborigines in Australia also recognised constellations that were not on Ptolemy's list, at the time he compiled it. So I am referring to a Northern Hemisphere knowledge base. I'm also sure that the 30 or so Constellations recognised by classical Greek Astrologers did not comprise the sum total of human knowledge in the Northern Hemisphere. My point was that the constellations did not all spring into human consciousness at the same time.

Agreed....

Bernice:
But there's no immutable Law to prevent someone trying.....

Ravenest:
Trying ???? Some have been using it quiet well for over 40,000 years 'down' here
Rubbish! There is no evidence that any peoples 40,000 years ago had mapped out star systems which are now only visible via high tech means. Maybe you didn't actually read what I posted ........?

Ravenest, you said that you "love wandering in deep sky". This begs the question = are you a Trekkie?

Bee :)

Minderwiz

ravenest said:
Not astrology as most see it here. I am looking at a different application where a 12 neat balanced system may not apply.

I do see the problem here. The Sumerians, influenced the Babylonians who seem to have developed the 12 sign Zodiac. The Babylonians in turn contributed to mainstream Greek Astrological thought both through normal trade and through Alexander's conquest.

From Alexander onwards we have something of an Astrological Imperialism. Greeks influence Romans, Romans influence Europeans and Arabs. Europeans take this culture with them through colonisation to much of Africa, the Americas and Australasia.

OK that is much over simplified but it does account for the prevalence of the 12 Sign approach. As I pointed out above the 360 degree circle, itself a Babylonian development has determined the co-ordinate approach for both Astrology and later on, Astronomy.

In the exported Western culture the Astrology that is most practiced and followed is the horoscopic one and that is therefore naturally reflected in the posts here.

The very sad thing, which you are absolutely right to draw attention to, is that other traditions have been lost or overwhelmed or simply ignored. Even traditions within Europe that are not of Romano-Greek origins have been pushed out. Celtic Astrology is largely lost and only a New Age imitation now exists.

The trouble is now that unless there are experts in other traditions who visit such sites as this, the imbalance is likely to remain. So I hope that as you look at developing new systems you will share the ideas with us.

One last point. back on the topic. We are assuming that the zodiac had 12 clear constellations which determined it's number of signs. It's also possible to argue that the number system used by the Babylonians - based on 60, was itself derived from pre-Sumerian systems of counting based on 12 and 5.

That is the Babylonians took 12 signs because it fitted their numeral preconceptions, rather than because of 12 clear constellations. They then named the signs conveniently after constellations. The base of 12 in turn is likely to be based on the number of lunations in a year.

OK I know it's not precisely 12 lunations, but then the first stabs at measuring a 'year' could well have been on the basis of counting lunations and later generations refined it to our current state of knowledge.

If the above conjecture is correct then we might have had a 10 sign Zodiac if the Babylonians had used a decimal system or an 8 sign Zodiac if the Babylonians had used the octal system (indeed I have seen references to an 8 sign zodiac!)

firecatpickles

Was the Hebrews' zodiac system was influenced by the Babylonians or the Greeks?

Minderwiz

I know this sounds a silly question (but I have a reason for it)

When you say 'Hebrew zodiac' what exactly are you referring to?

Knowing will help me respond sensibly

Bernice

Minderwiz said:
I know this sounds a silly question (but I have a reason for it)

When you say 'Hebrew zodiac' what exactly are you referring to?

Knowing will help me respond sensibly

Ive never heard of a Hebew zodiac. The later esoterics/ocultists have used astro. for the Qabalah (and on the Tree) - but the astrological correspondances for it don't seem to have originated with the Hewbrews.

Interesting..... :)

Bee

firecatpickles

It is the same zodiac, not claiming the Hebrews invented it, just wondering if it originates from the Babylonians (i.e., the Age of the Talmud) or the Greeks, or later during the Hellenistic Period.

Minderwiz

Well the Babylonians are generally credited with the 'invention' of the zodiac as a measuring device and that is around 600 BCE or a little before, so any biblical references which seem to refer to the zodiac are to the Babylonians,
especially as the captivity in Babylon was around that date (539-587 BCE)

The Greeks refined the use of the zodiac and really developed the 'horoscope' approach. Natal Astrology, as we now now it is a product of the Greek innovation based on a Babylonian idea.

We also know that the Babylonian zodiac also influenced the Persians, the Egyptians and the Indians.

Bernice

Thank you Minderwiz.... :)

But something always niggles at me re. the math.
Apparently (according to math gurus) it was the Arabs who introduced the concept of zero. And the 360 deg. begins (& ends) with zero.

?

Bee :)

Minderwiz

The Babylonians developed a positional system, rather like our decimal one.

When I went to primary school, we started off sums with columns, and even used 'H' for hundreds, 'T' for tens and 'U' for units. A '1' in the third column was '100' in the middle column it was '10' and in the first column it was '1'. The column position told you which power of 10 you were dealing with (of course we didnt know the columns represented powers of 10)

Now we also used a zero for the place holders if there was an absence of '10's or an absence of '1's but if you think about it, it's not vital for counting and recording. all you need is to put the numeral in the correct column.

Now the Babylonians worked in the above fashion, they had a symbol for '1' and a symbol for '10'. When the had reached '59', i.e. 5 '10's and 9 '1's, they started again with the symbol for '1' for '60' but moved it's position to the left as we do in our number system.

They proceeded in the same way till they reached the equivalent of '3,559' and then started again with the symbol for 1 but shifted a position to the left.

So 360 was represented as six '1' symbols representing 6 x 60.

They actually did develop a 'zero' symbol but it was only used in the 'middle' of numbers, not at the end. so they would use it in 3,601 but not in 3,660.

They clearly did manage to work with this without too much in the way of problems. However the arabic number system is far more elegant as well as being far more functional in advanced applications.

There are several websites that will explain the Babylonian system in such detail, just Google 'Babylonnian number system'.

Incidentally whilst it appears that it is widely accepted that the Babylonian number system has it's origins in the coming together of two peoples using different number bases, there does seem two versions of this. One, as I detailed above, based on 12 and 5 and another theory that it was based on 10 and 6. I Just don't have the expertise to even suggest reasons why one rather than the other should be preferred. However the base 12 and 5 explanation does offer a reasonable explanation of why they settled on 12 signs.

zhan.thay

Astronomical archeology

At 21 Mar 2300 BCE, my version of SkyMap Pro shows Electra (17 Tauri), one of the leading stars of the Pleiades, at 0 degrees ecliptic longitude. Also, at that time, the ecliptic passed through very little of the modern area ascribed to Ophiuchus (from 198 to 207 ecliptic longitude, 9 days worth) and nowhere near its main figure. Theta Ophiuchi was the nearest star of the constellation to the ecliptic being about 202 ecl long & -1 ecl lat. By comparison the ecliptic passed through the modern Scorpius area from 180 to 198, 18 days worth.

At 2000 BCE, modern Aries' boundary (with Taurus) was at 359, Electra at 4. Scorpius went from 184 to 192, Ophiuchus 192 to 211.

At 1500 BCE, the line connecting the stars 41 Arietis & epsilon Arietis was very nearly coincident with 0 degrees ecliptic longitude. Scorpius went from 191 to 199, Ophiuchus 199 to 218.

At 1000 BCE, 0 degrees ecliptic longitude passed through the middle of Aries & through the middle of one of the fish of Pisces. Scorpius went from 198 to 206, Ophiuchus 206 to 225.

Projecting forward several millenia, it can be seen that the ecliptic will never not pass through modern Ophiuchus and going backwards in time it has never not passed through it either. The point to make, which I think has been stated before, is that the Babylonians did not have Ophiuchus as one of their constellations anyway when they divided the ecliptic into twelve equal segments.