Absolute Favorite Oracle Decks

frac_ture

TAO Oracle and Osho Zen Tarot

For those of you with both the Tao Oracle and the Osho Zen tarot... Which would you recommend the most?

I have both of these decks, but I haven't owned either one for very long, and I haven't used either one too extensively just yet, so my take here will only get you so far...;)

Still, I think what agent199 said bears repeating: these are not just general Oracle decks with no set structure, the way many such decks can be described (like, for example, the Messenger Oracle is a deck of 50 cards, total, but there are no suits, no Majors vs. Minors, and the numbering sequence seems incorporated almost solely so the creator could summarize the meanings in the accompanying book, and not because the order of the cards in the deck has tons of bearing on a given reading -- basically, it's like, "Here: have 50 cards! Read away!").

On the other hand, though, the Osho Zen deck is a Tarot deck. It may not cling slavishly to RWS or Thoth meanings and imagery, and some people will tell you it's more general Oracle than Tarot, but I don't find that to be so true, myself. For me, it feels like it's Tarot, no question (four suits, Majors/Minors, Aces through 10's, Court Cards, 79 cards in total [the usual 78, plus one extra one]). Tarot has a much more rigid structure than "Hey, here's 50 cards!" If you were looking to get away from that kind of strict structure, you'd probably like a different deck better. On the other hand, if you're cool with a deck that's essentially Tarot with less of a direct and primary focus on RWS/Thoth traditions, and if you like the artwork, it's struck me so far as a really rich deck!

And then the TAO Oracle...despite the name, this one also is not just a virtually random assemblage of cards -- it's a deck meant to be used with the I Ching system. It expands on the 64 hexagrams of that system by providing new graphic symbols and images that I believe can help trigger intuitive understandings in ways that maybe the pure hexagrams themselves might not for some people. I know I do appreciate the new visuals a lot. Still, I'm totally new to the I Ching, and there's plenty to learn. I suppose you could dispense with worrying about the system and just draw cards and interpret the pictures and titles and such, but you'd definitely be ignoring some things that were central in the deck creator's mind when she made this. It's by the same artist as the Osho Zen, so that might not help you to choose one over the other -- the imagery looks very comparable to me from one to the other so far.

If nothing else...the Osho Zen has 79 cards, while the TAO Oracle has only 64, and both come with companion books that are pretty informative. On this aspect alone, you might therefore get slightly more to work with overall (i.e., 15 more cards!) if you go with the Osho Zen...

Celtictarot

Just finishing a week doing daily readings with the Wild Wisdom of the Faery and I love the energy and feel of this deck. I also love the Enchanted Oracle by Jessica Galbreth. The artwork is out of this world and I et excited when using the deck.

I wonder if I will feel the same when i do the Oracle of the Shapeshifters and Oracle of Shadows and Light. I have Oracle of the Dragonfae on my shopping list as well.

iAmRiotEyes

Just finishing a week doing daily readings with the Wild Wisdom of the Faery and I love the energy and feel of this deck. I also love the Enchanted Oracle by Jessica Galbreth. The artwork is out of this world and I et excited when using the deck.

I wonder if I will feel the same when i do the Oracle of the Shapeshifters and Oracle of Shadows and Light. I have Oracle of the Dragonfae on my shopping list as well.

I'm very interested in the Oracle of the Dragonfae deck. As for the others, I wish there was no difference between the Australian and American versions of the deck. It seems the Australian is the more "original" one because the American's have been made PG. I don't believe that's entirely necessary. It bugs me when publishers do that. I mean I get why, teen girls are apt to buy the deck, but... It's fine just the way it is. :/ I'll have find them on ebay I guess.

Celtictarot

I'm very interested in the Oracle of the Dragonfae deck. As for the others, I wish there was no difference between the Australian and American versions of the deck. It seems the Australian is the more "original" one because the American's have been made PG. I don't believe that's entirely necessary. It bugs me when publishers do that. I mean I get why, teen girls are apt to buy the deck, but... It's fine just the way it is. :/ I'll have find them on ebay I guess.

Or do as I did, find the decks in Australia or purchase them direct from Blue Angel Publishing. I think it is a bit odd doing the PG decks as if you are a reader, you are not really by law (here in the UK) meant to be reading teens? I always found that a bit odd and there is an updated deck of the Dragonfae deck with extra cards coming out.

iAmRiotEyes

Or do as I did, find the decks in Australia or purchase them direct from Blue Angel Publishing. I think it is a bit odd doing the PG decks as if you are a reader, you are not really by law (here in the UK) meant to be reading teens? I always found that a bit odd and there is an updated deck of the Dragonfae deck with extra cards coming out.

I think it's illegal in at least some states in the U.S. as well, and I don't think it's kinda dumb. I get the qualms parents might have but they have questions just like the rest of us, in fact I wouldn't doubt there are some on this site getting readings.

I'm probably going to have to. I wanted to save myself some money by buying them on Amazon but I don't want a "censored" deck. I'll keep an eye out for that Dragonfae deck though, do you know when it comes out?

iAmRiotEyes

I have both of these decks, but I haven't owned either one for very long, and I haven't used either one too extensively just yet, so my take here will only get you so far...;)

Still, I think what agent199 said bears repeating: these are not just general Oracle decks with no set structure, the way many such decks can be described (like, for example, the Messenger Oracle is a deck of 50 cards, total, but there are no suits, no Majors vs. Minors, and the numbering sequence seems incorporated almost solely so the creator could summarize the meanings in the accompanying book, and not because the order of the cards in the deck has tons of bearing on a given reading -- basically, it's like, "Here: have 50 cards! Read away!").

On the other hand, though, the Osho Zen deck is a Tarot deck. It may not cling slavishly to RWS or Thoth meanings and imagery, and some people will tell you it's more general Oracle than Tarot, but I don't find that to be so true, myself. For me, it feels like it's Tarot, no question (four suits, Majors/Minors, Aces through 10's, Court Cards, 79 cards in total [the usual 78, plus one extra one]). Tarot has a much more rigid structure than "Hey, here's 50 cards!" If you were looking to get away from that kind of strict structure, you'd probably like a different deck better. On the other hand, if you're cool with a deck that's essentially Tarot with less of a direct and primary focus on RWS/Thoth traditions, and if you like the artwork, it's struck me so far as a really rich deck!

And then the TAO Oracle...despite the name, this one also is not just a virtually random assemblage of cards -- it's a deck meant to be used with the I Ching system. It expands on the 64 hexagrams of that system by providing new graphic symbols and images that I believe can help trigger intuitive understandings in ways that maybe the pure hexagrams themselves might not for some people. I know I do appreciate the new visuals a lot. Still, I'm totally new to the I Ching, and there's plenty to learn. I suppose you could dispense with worrying about the system and just draw cards and interpret the pictures and titles and such, but you'd definitely be ignoring some things that were central in the deck creator's mind when she made this. It's by the same artist as the Osho Zen, so that might not help you to choose one over the other -- the imagery looks very comparable to me from one to the other so far.

If nothing else...the Osho Zen has 79 cards, while the TAO Oracle has only 64, and both come with companion books that are pretty informative. On this aspect alone, you might therefore get slightly more to work with overall (i.e., 15 more cards!) if you go with the Osho Zen...

Thank you for your input :)

I'd probably fall into the Osho Zen Tarot for oracle purposes camp even though I do see how it's a tarot deck. I looked at a preview of the book online and it looks fantastic, especially for meditations. I've been focusing more on spiritual work rather than divination for myself and the Osho Zen tarot looks like it's particularly great for that. It really is a rich deck, not just visually. I think I'm going with that one, at least until I have more money :p

Celtictarot

I think it's illegal in at least some states in the U.S. as well, and I don't think it's kinda dumb. I get the qualms parents might have but they have questions just like the rest of us, in fact I wouldn't doubt there are some on this site getting readings.

I'm probably going to have to. I wanted to save myself some money by buying them on Amazon but I don't want a "censored" deck. I'll keep an eye out for that Dragonfae deck though, do you know when it comes out?

You can buy it on ebay and amazon the updated Dragonfae deck.

Celtictarot

I am loving the Universal Wisdom oracle as the energy just grabs you and says, "read me!"

Briar Rose

I am using Susie Green's Animal Wisdom and I love it. The book is excellent.

And I have always cherished, Tree Magick by Gillian Kemp.

My 30 year friend gifted me, Froud's Faeries Oracle that I love.

Aulruna

Froud's Faeries also tops my list! It is deep, yet can be lighthearted, it's quirky, challenging and downright otherworldly at times. I can't wax about it enough!!

Oracle of the Dragonfae is also one I like, whereas Shapeshifters and Light and Shadows don't really work for me. I simply can't see situations in all these huge-eyed dolls, though I really am very fond of the artwork.

Spirit of the Wheel is a long standing favourite that also has a calming and meditative quality for me. It also realigns me with the seasons when I feel out of synch.

And recently I started to read with the cards from the boardgame Dixit - they are storytelling cards, but eerily spot-on. For the moment, I'm very taken with them and just ordered one of the extension sets.