Ace of Swords and Tolkien

AquaWolf

I just read a quote that reminded me of the Ace of Swords and would love to see if it resonates with anyone else as well. Also, I think that perhaps it could be used for the Ten of Swords.

“For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end, the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

Alta

Yes, that works! That man did have a way with words.

nisaba

<grin> When Frankie was still travelling, I walked past one of the local churches with him (I'm not a churchy kind), and for the first time saw the white crucifix painted on a blue oval on the door as a perfect Ace Swords: the ends of the cross-beam were even curved a little, like the hilt of a sword.

Don't know why the Tolkien mention reminded me of that - it just did.

Zephyros

Yes it does seem to fit, especially in the context. That quote is from when Frodo sees a statue of one of the kings of Numenor (maybe Anarion, but I can't remember) that the orcs defiled and broke. However, around the head of the king a small plant of flowers grew and gave him a crown. Above the reek of Mordor there is clear air, and the two Maiar who act as the Sun and Moon, as well as the stars placed in the sky by Varda, consort of Manwe, whom the Elves named Elbereth. Even beyond that there is Eru Illuvatar, who exists beyond time and space.

Babalon Jones

That is very beautiful, and fitting as well, especially in the context.

SuperSirius

I drew the Ace of Swords as my card for the day, and looking at it in this context is very illuminating. It certainly gives me hope that perhaps this is the start of better times ahead! It also serves as a reminder that despite any darkness and sorrow in our lives, the whole world is out there, unaffected by our daily problems and strife, and it is indeed a beautiful place overall. Thank you for sharing! I love Tolkien! :D

seedcake

I just read a quote that reminded me of the Ace of Swords and would love to see if it resonates with anyone else as well. Also, I think that perhaps it could be used for the Ten of Swords.

“For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end, the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

Beautiful quote. It fits perfectly for me too. And so amazingly written.

Farzon

I have to read the LotR in the original version - that's really a beautiful quote! And it fits so perfectly well - like a sudden flash of knowing, truth piercing through the clouds of doubt. Maybe the most positive aspect of the Ace of Swords.

Marcus R

And I would think Sauron would see the Ace of Swords reversed as the return of Isildurs heir.

LaLaToro

I love this forum so much. <single tear>