Advanced reading material

MystiqueMoonlight

I am a study freak! There I said it....

I was hoping somebody could recommend a good book on Tarot that isn't necessarily for beginners. I don't need card meanings and interpretations....maybe something that focuses on more advanced Tarot. You know incorporates such things as astrology, history, Qabala, spellcraft, meditation etc...

Is there such a book/s?

aeonx

Greetings MystiqueMoonlight. :)
What deck do you use? I might know of some books. I.e. the Book of Thoth by Aleister Crowley, for the Thoth-deck. He uses elements from the Kabbalah, Astrology, Golden Dawn and so on. Hajo Banzhaf is also an author who has written about astrology and tarot.

~aeonx~

MystiqueMoonlight

Well I am currently using the Thoth. I have Alester Crowley's books and have read those, I also have Hans Banzhof's book.

It's funny isn't it that every other book using RW or clones. I know because these are the most popular and all. I was just hoping for something more generic.

catlin

Hi Mystique,

What about the new Kliegmann book "Tarot and the Tree of Life" (dials only with Minors and the integration of the Kaballa in tarot) or the "Living Tarot" by Amber Jajanty. Just check out the "Living Tarot" thread to get further opinions about that.

jmd

If you want a book which is quite advanced and which many consider difficult, consider Mouni Sadhu's Tarot.

In the thread on the Marseilles deck, Ophiel also posts a list which you may find interesting. Another book which is rarely mentioned, and quite dense at times, is Irene Gad's Tarot and Individuation: Correspondences with Cabala and Alchemy, 1994, Weiser. It is mainly illustrated with Wirth cards, and flipped left-right Marseilles-type cards, as well as a few additional depictions.

Bella

If you go to Jim Revak's Tarot site (Villa Revak) at http://jwrevak.tripod.com you'll find a bibliography of books on tarot, which is further is divided into different subtopics and proficiency levels.
You may find something to interest you there.

Ravenswing

MM--

along with Mouni Sadhu's Tarot that jmd suggested, try William Gray's Sangreal Tarot.

LVX
steve

HOLMES

perhpas ..

you have gone as far as you can studyin the books and it is time to put into pratice by mediating studying into the cards.

those following the hallowquest know what i mean .
some cards are meant for you to travel into the card and ask the high priestress for lessons, or perhpas the dog in the fool will bard a lesson at you or just to experience the card energy in a way and perhaps a memory of something in your actual life will come back to you helping you to understand the card more.

at a certian time we learn best by praticing that is the stage i am at ..

i dearly wish to study connolly books, and racheal and mary books and to get the book of reversal, and card combinations.

but i know i shall in my own time

MystiqueMoonlight

I actually do use the cards and have been for a while now, but I do love to read any additional (insert worthwhile) material on the Tarot.

Practice is of course the best way to gain insite to your cards no doubt about that, but for me Tarot and the esoteric arts are a constant learning experience that will go on for ever. :)