Advise for Choosing a Deck?

MacMorrighan

Hey guys, I have been a Witch for almost 20 years, and during that time I have been meticulously forging my own unique Path drawn from quantum physics, folk-lore, Celtic and Indo-European Studies (at an academic level, I might add!). However, in that time, while I have been immersed in scholarship (indeed, I consider myself a freelance scholar!), I have utterly ignored learning a divinatory system; so, I am hoping to focus on doing so with the Tarot, as I have long-been fascinated by the symbolism involved (as I was writing about Astrology I came upon a book by Aleister Crowley that explained *why* The Chariot is associated with Cancer....I've been curious about that for years!).

That being said I am curious about how others have chosen their decks. I have an idea about the deck I want! However, I feel that the Rider-Waite-Smith deck is used far too often by readers, in my experience, is far too commonly used (I want my own deck to be much more "original"). I want a deck in which the Major Arcana is somewhat "standard"--e.g. a Devil Card that isn't a Devil will bug me, even if the same interpretation is implied. (The seems to be the most common card to change.) I'm also looking for something with a vintage, but beautiful, with an "Old World" aura about it. I was recommended the Yeager Deck, and I adored it for it's vintage theme, but the "Devil Card" looked like a television set, which miffed me somewhat as it was the only card I actually had a disliking for, aesthetically. Thank you so much...

All my best,
Wade

nisaba

You might like any of the Visconti of Marseilles decks for age-authenticity.

But given your stated interests, what's wrong with the Quantum Tarot? It's authentic Tarot that works well as Tarot. It involves the mystic side of science. And it reads brilliantly! My copy of the first edition deck (which I personally prefer, but which is unavailable now) was chosen by an ancient Peruvian villager whose elderly daughter was there to translate, from the selection of decks on my table - I was expecting her to go a Marseilles or something. :) And that was its very first reading.

chaosbloom

However, I feel that the Rider-Waite-Smith deck is used far too often by readers, in my experience, is far too commonly used (I want my own deck to be much more "original"). I want a deck in which the Major Arcana is somewhat "standard"--e.g. a Devil Card that isn't a Devil will bug me, even if the same interpretation is implied. (The seems to be the most common card to change.) I'm also looking for something with a vintage, but beautiful, with an "Old World" aura about it.

You could check out the various historical reproductions here http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/historical-reproduction.shtml. I can't think of something more "original" and "old world" than some of the early Renaissance decks. The problem is that many of those were not originally used for divination so they're not as practical as the ones from the 19th c. onwards.

Too many people using Rider-Waite and it's derivatives is an advantage in that regard, as there is a wealth of information on the particular symbolism and meanings of that line of decks, especially useful for a beginner. The Thoth deck, since you favor Crowley, is also popular but not as widespread as RWS and has a pretty unique look.

Otherwise you could find some Marseilles-RWS hybrid that's styled to look old but still practical enough (drawn pips and whatnot) to be used for divination.

nisaba

The problem is that many of those were not originally used for divination so they're not as practical as the ones from the 19th c. onwards.

That was a rumour put about in the early 20th century. It is known that as early as 1527 Tarocchi cards were being used for divination. In that year, Teofilo (Theophile) Folengo wrote a play called "Chaos del Triperuno", in which two women have their fortunes foretold with the cards, and it was assumed that this was not a novel idea to the audience. My source: Stuart Kaplan, Tarot God.

I find the early historical decks to be very eloquent indeed.

Padma

My advice: check out the encyclopedia of available decks here on AT click here for tarot gallery and choose something that appeals both to your eyes, and your intuition. :) one reads best with what one conceives to be beautiful, and to speak personally, and only your eyes and gut can tell you which one is the right one.

chaosbloom

That was a rumour put about in the early 20th century. It is known that as early as 1527 Tarocchi cards were being used for divination. In that year, Teofilo (Theophile) Folengo wrote a play called "Chaos del Triperuno", in which two women have their fortunes foretold with the cards, and it was assumed that this was not a novel idea to the audience. My source: Stuart Kaplan, Tarot God.

I find the early historical decks to be very eloquent indeed.

That's interesting, it would contradict many other scholars including Dummett. Is this mentioned in Kaplan's Tarot encyclopedia or somewhere else?

McFaire

Hi Wade, welcome to AT.

Since you are new to Tarot, it might be a suggestion to keep an open mind. Perhaps there are valid reasons why the RWS has had such a profound impact on so many people, including most of the members here.

As in music, a foundation in structure and theory allows one ever more freedom in improvisation. Virtually all modern decks are a form of improvisation on a small set of classic systems.

You might get a lot out learning the basics of classic decks such as Thoth, RWS, TdM, etc.

Good luck!

MacMorrighan

Otherwise you could find some Marseilles-RWS hybrid that's styled to look old but still practical enough (drawn pips and whatnot) to be used for divination.

At the moment I am looking at the "Ancient Italian Deck"; though, I have never heard of a Marseilles-RWS hybrid! :) Could you recommend a deck or two of that sort that I could check out? I am also rather curious about what has led others to choose their preferred deck or decks? Was it entirely based on aesthetics or some intuitive incite that called one to a particular deck...

MacMorrighan

Since you are new to Tarot, it might be a suggestion to keep an open mind. Perhaps there are valid reasons why the RWS has had such a profound impact on so many people, including most of the members here.

Oh absolutely! If the RWS deck works for one, then more power too 'em; however, for me, it's merely a matter of personal preference as I've always preferred to walk the road less travelled, so to speak, when I make any given stylistic decision. I've always been the black sheep of my town, LOL! Everyone here paints the interior of their homes white, but *I* reach for the can of purple paint. ;)

FLizarraga

I may be wrong, MacMorrighan, but you sound like a Mary-El Tarot person to me. Check it out.