Aeclectic 2012 Top Ten lists are out

Debra

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/new.shtml

I'm gobsmacked. Befuddled. Astounded. Amazed.

Top Ten Decks Published in 2012

Dark Carnival Tarot

Mary-El Tarot (Schiffer)

Steampunk Tarot (Llewellyn)

Wild Unknown Tarot

Gilded Royale Tarot

Ghosts and Spirits Tarot

Dreaming Way Tarot

Tarot of the Absurd

Daniloff Tarot

Zombie Tarot

Top Ten Decks of All Time

Deviant Moon Tarot

Rider-Waite Tarot

Aleister Crowley Thoth Tarot

DruidCraft Tarot

Shadowscapes Tarot

Robin Wood Tarot

Dark Carnival Tarot

Gaian Tarot (Llewellyn)

Legacy of the Divine Tarot (Llewellyn)

Crystal Visions Tarot

jema

Dark Carnival was a real Dark horse here :p
So unexpected!

Tibor

dark carneval, really???? Really??? Come on...really??? Ah ok... never mind....

Thoughtful

Glad to see the Wild Unknown there it deserves its place, though l would have put it tops.

Carla

Gaian and Crystal Visions? Really?

BodhiSeed

Some are deserving and some are just hysterically funny.:p Glad to see Tarot of the Absurd and the Daniloff made the top ten.:thumbsup:

ETA:
From the announcement:
"Votes were cast by Aeclectic Tarot visitors during January and February 2013."
I wonder how the results would look if only AT members voted? Different perhaps?

DeToX

The Top 10 decks of all time is virtually the same as last year, should come as no surprise. Most of the entries there make me scratch my head but hey. Highly underwhelming for me.

Personally I think Deviant Moon is overrated - very clever deck, very well designed and painted - but too stylised for me - a little too much overacting in the characterisations (zero subtlety) and the cutesy moon theme gets rather tiresome for me personally. When I first saw it I thought it was disturbing, then when I got used to it, I thought it was too cutesy! I can dig the pronounced psychological themes in it though. Will probably sell mine unless I warm to it.

Best deck ever? *Cough*...Thoth...lol...Best by what criteria though? Best for what audience? It's funny how Thoth gets highly praised in the deck reviews but the GD decks don't, often on the basis that they are hard for the audience to comprehend if they haven't read a relevant book. Admittedly most of them look awful but the Initiatory GD Tarot is really very good. Hermetic Tarot is also excellent for different reasons.

I am not really keen on any of the top ten decks of 2012. Mary El is the best of the bunch though if I was pressed to like one. Dark Carnival is quite good, quite creative, but I am not sure I'd buy it as it's too stylised for me (is this my default mode of criticism?)

Bluefeet

No historical decks on both lists yet again.