Albano

Richard

Has a consensus ever been reached as to whether the colors in the Albano-Waite deck conform to Paul Foster Case's instructions?

Cerulean

If you can match them to the Morgan Greer (BOTA) colorwise

and you did the comparison to Paul Foster Case's color keys, then I could joyfully say
you would have done the comparative work.

I don't recall amyone doing this here card by card yet.

But those who use the Albano more often than myself...hope to hear details.

Abrac

I've got a BOTA coloring guide and in comparing it with Albano it does look like there are many points of similarity, probably more than just by coincidence. But it's not an exact match in every detail, and some of the cards are completely different in design so you can't really make a fair comparison. I think it would be reasonable to say Albano used Case a point of reference. My instructions make a point of saying to make sure the colors are vivid.

The easiest way would be to get a hardcover copy of Case's The Tarot: A Key to the Wisdom of the Ages (ISBN 0938002082) with color images and compare them to Albano. :)

Richard

The coloring of the Minors seems fairly consistent with the Golden Dawn's color associations for the four elements. I'm therefore assuming that the Majors also conform, to some extent, to a carefully formulated color scheme, probably adapted from Case's instructions for the BOTA deck.

Case had a high regard for Waite's Tarot and wrote in An Introduction to the Study of the Tarot (published in 1920) that the deck designed by Waite and Smith is "by far the best." (Of course, this was before his creation of the BOTA deck.)

I think I made a mistake by not starting this thread in the RWS forum, but what's done is done, unless some moderator would be kind enough to move it.

rwcarter

Abrac said:
The easiest way would be to get a hardcover copy of Case's The Tarot: A Key to the Wisdom of the Ages (ISBN 0938002082) with color images and compare them to Albano. :)
I've got the hardback book w/ color plates and a Tarot Productions Albano in front of me. I don't have time for an in-depth comparison, but just looking at the Fool, I'd agree with Abrac that Albano used BOTA as a point of reference. What's orange in the Albano Fool is red in the BOTA, the mountains have a darker purple shading in the BOTA and the background of the card is more goldenrod in BOTA and yellow in Albano. There are similar differences in the High Priestess, Empress and Emperor cards.

Rodney

lucifall

Abrac said:
I think it would be reasonable to say Albano used Case a point of reference.

What i think is striking, is that temperance in the Albano tarot has a rainbow above his head. This rainbow does not appear on the RWS, but it does on the B.O.T.A. tarot.
The eagle and lion on the B O T A we do not find on the RWS and the Albano, but we find this back in Crowley's Art...

Albano Temperance:
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/2272/zomygyr7fn.jpg

B O T A Temperance:
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/607/b72d736006ee022461bfa11.jpg

Not on topic but interesting: where is Mr Albano???
From aeclectic revieuw Albano tarot:
"According to the Little White Book, the Albano Waite deck was originally published in 1968 by Tarot Productions Inc, with the art directed by Frankie Albano. The LWB also states that the deck went out of print in the late 1970s and “efforts to locate Frankie Albano have proven futile”.

Luci

Cerulean

Hi Lucifall, thanks for confirming the rainbow on Temperance

in BOTA and Albano. A friend and myself noticed it when we were tossing casual comparisons and I brought the Albano instead of an older/standards Waite-Smith deck.

This note below is not really BOTA coloring, but on one or two odd colorings you might notice in the Lovers card:

A trivia note about the Lovers card and the red and green coloring in the Angel hair in the deck...it might have been the Los Angeles Aquarian Theatre also put on the travelling production of Hair....anyway, the mysterious Tarot Productions poster of the Albano Tarot Lovers card was included in the musical record album for the "stage production of Hair". The card has a weird coloring of green and red on the angel and the poster for the Hair album was printed in the similar colors...I believe it matches the card in the deck. There's red and green odd graphics in the album as well.

(So anyone who might know about Hair trivia and Los Angeles Tarot Productions...maybe they met the mysterious Frankie Albano...It wasn't until decades later in Northern California did I see the zip code of Tarot Productions...found out about hippie culture and Hair. But I haven't met anyone who would have been around that kind of community back then.)

Anyway, back to the BOTA coloring question--thanks for the information LRichard and Abrac/etc...

Best regards

Cerulean

Richard

Cerulean, thanks for the information about the Lovers card and the Hair musical.

Some people associate the Albano deck with the hippie movement because of the somewhat psychedelic colors and its publication date (1968). I lived in Berkeley in the late 1960s and bought my miniature Albano at the Shambala bookstore in 1969. I feel a bit of nostalgia about those days, in spite of all the turbulence.

jackdaw*

That's an excellent bit about the Lovers as the musical poster :D

I had always heard that Albano used the BOTA colouration. I had found the instructions online some time ago, maybe it's time to dig them up again.

When I first saw the Albano I thought it was too gaudy. But the colours grew on me, and I began to see them as earthy, even autumnal, compared to the wishy-washy Universal Waite or the blah Rider Waite. It's now my favourite Rider clone, and my favourite deck.

Thanks, LRichard, for bringing up this point and reminding me of the BOTA colours.

Goodnight, Mr. Albano, wherever you are!