All saints day

Lavitabella

Just wondered.. If you had to pick a card you would link to all saints day, which would it be? I clarified a timing question and wondred if it mean't all saints day. Won't say yet as don't want to sway you!

prudence

The Pope, or the Papesse.

Lavitabella

I should have put that i am using the rider
Waite deck.

Starshower

The World

celticnoodle

The Pope, or the Papesse.
exactly what I thought of too.

and, in the Rider Waite deck, this card is known as the Hierophant, Lavitabella.

Lavitabella

Interesting. Yes i can see this as its a christian festival. What made you think of the world? I had judgement. As isn't all saints day about all the saints in heaven? And judgement is showing an angel in the sky. Am i totally off?

shaveling

I was thinking Judgment before I saw your post.

Starshower

I thought of the World rather than Judgement because in Christian theology, when everyone is 'judged', not everyone goes straight to heaven. Some may go to 'hell', or else to purgatory to be purified and undergo 'satisfaction & satispassion for sins', in orthodox / traditional Roman Catholic teachings.

The World Card depicts the 4 beasts from Revelation, representing the 4 elements, and the complete, fully-integrated, perfected human being (sometimes the figure is an androgyne - combining the best of both male & female qualities.) So completion & perfection, in heaven, seemed appropriate to me for All Saints Day, which is the celebration of the saints in heaven.
It was also called 'All Hallows' day (hallows meaning holy ones or saints), which is why All Hallows' Eve means the evening or day BEFORE this feast day - now contracted into Hallowe'en. [Just as Christmas eve means the day before Christmas.]

Then, after the Eve or day before on 31st Oct, we have All Hallows' Day on 1st Nov ... and then we have All Souls' Day on 2nd Nov, where in Catholic countries people still pray & make sacrifices for the 'holy souls' in purgatory, undergoing their punishment / cleansing / purification before joining the saints in heaven.

It's surprising how many modern Catholics are ignorant of this basic trilogy of 3 days representing the 3 states of being the RC CHurch teaches that we can be in after death!

Anyway, I'd pick the Devil for 'hell day', 31st Oct ... the World for 'heaven day', 1st Nov ... and Judgement for 'purgatory day', 2nd Nov (where most of us are supposed to go, who are neither completely evil nor perfectly good).

I actually used to believe all this, as a serious, religious young person! :-o
Blessings of the season to all. :)

Lavitabella

Ah! Thats really strange because the cards i that usually pop up, not nessasarily together, are
the world, judgement, and death and justice. I also get the magician sometimes. As you can tell, been waiting a while!! All majours
Though. Mind you death is scorpio and judgement 11 (nov). I wonder if justice could fit when we get what we deserve?

Richard

The Communion (common union) of Saints is regarded by Catholics as consisting of all true Christians, whether on earth, in purgatory, or in heaven. For (most) liturgical Protestants, it is all true Christians, whether alive or dead 'in Christ'. If I were a Christian, I would probably associate All Saints Day with the Ace of Cups in the Waite deck because of its Eucharistic symbolism.