An other way to compare the "Crackled Backs" Pamela decks

truelighth

I finally got round to putting the scans of my decks together for comparison. They are a Pam-A Roses&Lilies back, Pam-A crackled back, Pam-A crackled back 1920 printing, Pam-B, Pam-C and a Pam-D.

I have send the scans to Coredil, because I can't post them. I hope you all enjoy them.

coredil

Thanks a lot truelighth for your amazing scans!
You really have a nice old Pamela deck collection with even a Roses and Lilies back!

You also made a really great job to prepare the scans with titles :)
I had to cut each of your JPEG in two parts as they were a little too big in size to upload.
So there are now 3 cards on each file.
I upload 4 files pro post.

After a quick look, comparing only the 9 of pentacles and the 5 of wands , I already found following:
1. One can indeed recognise the same pattern on several editions for the flowers on the 9 of pentacles and for the blue points on the 5 of wands.
2. The pattern may just be shifted a little
3. Concerning these two cards: Your 3 Pamelas A deck + Holys one are identical
4. Your D an my D are also identical.
5. The Original Rider Waite seems to be identical to your B
6. The Blue Box seems to be identical to the A

So here are the 9 of Pentacles and the 5 of Wands from truelighths collection:

Attachments

• pentacles9_1.jpg
    pentacles9_1.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 144
  • pentacles9_2.jpg
    pentacles9_2.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 125
  • wands5_1.jpg
    wands5_1.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 133
  • wands5_2.jpg
    wands5_2.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 124

coredil

The Fool and the 6 of cups from truelighths collection

Attachments

• Fool_1.jpg
    Fool_1.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 115
  • Fool_2.jpg
    Fool_2.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 124
  • cups6_1.jpg
    cups6_1.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 102
  • cups6_2.jpg
    cups6_2.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 114

coredil

The Ace of pentacles and the 3 of Pentacles from truelighths collection

Attachments

• acepentacles_1.jpg
    acepentacles_1.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 111
  • acepentacles_2.jpg
    acepentacles_2.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 106
  • pentacles3_1.jpg
    pentacles3_1.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 135
  • pentacles3_2.jpg
    pentacles3_2.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 132

coredil

And finally the 5 of pentacles from truelighths collection :)

Attachments

• pentacles5_1.jpg
    pentacles5_1.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 140
  • pentacles5_2.jpg
    pentacles5_2.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 122

Peredur

Missing lines

On the 3 of Pentacles, is there any significance to the lines missing from the right arch on the Pam-B and Pam-C versions? This omission is also apparent on the "original" rose and lilly pack.
Bob

Abrac

Hi Peredur-

I'm no expert on this matter by any means, but recently I have started noticing many small similarities like this between the B and C. There are differences too, to be sure, but there are enough similarities to make a person wonder if there is some kind of relationship going on there.

As for why the right side of the arch is bare, I have no clue. Maybe someone forgot to put the lines in. :)

truelighth

Apart from minor details (like that line on the Sun card), I find that the Pam-B and the Pam-C are more or less identical in line-art. I am pretty sure they are related. My guess is that the plates for the B were made first and the little line on the Sun card was added later for the C printing.

When comparing the Pam-B/Pam-C to a Pam-A you can notice a real difference in the line art. The art from the Pam-A is like the one in the Key to the Tarot, definately Pixie's. The B/C ones miss a lot of detail. The faces look different and they also have some left over spaces. Like on the Empress, there is a void between the arm of the Empress and the trees behind her that is only visible on the B and C, not on the A.