Analytic Tarot and working as an atheist

JackofWands

I was going to put the word 'energy' in quotation marks but I guess I somehow missed them out. :( Yes, I was talking about the whatever-there-is-once-you-get-down-to-the-very-core-of-everything, not sure how the science calls this (maybe, you could help me with this one).

Not sure that science has a word for this (or at least, that I've been exposed to). Because it's such an amorphous concept and can't really be externally demonstrated, most of the scientific community (once again, that I know of; there's certainly plenty going on in that community that I don't know about) stays away from it. No worries, though--I knew what you meant. "Energy" is just a bit of a tricky word, and I wanted to draw attention to some of the ambiguity that can result from its use.

Aidan

I've heard this argument a lot before, and while I acknowledge that I don't understand everything about how the world works, I personally have a bit of trouble getting on board. I agree with you that "everything that happens in the world is 'natural'", but I also have trouble with the idea that there's something out there that's inexplicable or as-yet undiscovered by science. Sure, there will be scientific advancements, and when there are, I'll adjust my worldview accordingly, but I'm unwilling to put my faith in (or concede to the possibility of) something that can't be empirically demonstrated.

I personally am also a bit wary of using the word "energy" in this context, because in physics, that term is very specifically defined as the ability to do work. I understand that you're talking about the interconnectedness of the universe, but discussing it using terms that mean something completely different in the scientific community can be misleading and--for me--detract from your argument.

I dont know if i got everything right, and i hope i dont get too much off topic, but im too curious about that interconnectedness to leave this one out:D
I studied philosophy for some time, and one of the professors mentioned modern string theories being similiar to the chinese believe of qi. Qi being seen as a form.of energy (yeah, i know. Troublesome little word:eek:) which flows throu everything, those connecting people with the universe (i dont mean the scientific terms, more the general and a bit unspecific. Sorry for that). As far as i understood string theories, open strings are supposed to connect with other open strings in some way... But im no scientist...
Is this what you mean? Im afraid this is way off topic, but this is so interesting! (as the whole thread is, as a matter of fact)

Zephyros

Atheism does not mean lack of spirituality, and words like energy and even God are quite proper to use as placeholders for ideas. Many of the doctrines of the Golden Dawn, cloaked as they are in the language of the occult, could be seen as meditative techniques. Magick, too, as a discipline, need not be eschewd simply because there is no scientific jargon to use with it. Hermeticism does not deal in theology, but in the technology and techniques of initiation.

Thelema, for example, makes great use of gods and has a specific pantheon. This still does not mean that belief in those gods is necessary. One could also "worship" them as anthropomorphised forces of nature, and the human symbolism used is because it is easier to connect emotionally to a figure than it is to an idea.

JackofWands

I dont know if i got everything right, and i hope i dont get too much off topic, but im too curious about that interconnectedness to leave this one out:D
I studied philosophy for some time, and one of the professors mentioned modern string theories being similiar to the chinese believe of qi. Qi being seen as a form.of energy (yeah, i know. Troublesome little word:eek:) which flows throu everything, those connecting people with the universe (i dont mean the scientific terms, more the general and a bit unspecific. Sorry for that). As far as i understood string theories, open strings are supposed to connect with other open strings in some way... But im no scientist...
Is this what you mean? Im afraid this is way off topic, but this is so interesting! (as the whole thread is, as a matter of fact)

Ah, string theory. I had a feeling it would rear its theoretical head at some point.

First off, let me say that I am not a theoretical physicist, so my knowledge of string theory is cripplingly limited and I can only speak so much about the matter. Wikipedia, however, actually does have a decent article on the matter, so if you're interested and you haven't already looked at it, check it out. The article does a really excellent job of showing just how vast string theory is, but also how specifically defined its principles are (truly a far cry from unifying mystical concepts like Qi). The goal of string theory is to get at the nature of matter on the sub-sub(-sub?)-atomic level, and (as I in my limited understanding have come to know it) the theory concludes that at this most fundamental level, all matter is actually just a form of energy.

People definitely could (and have) draw spiritual conclusions from this--the sort of "everything is the same, everything is connected" lines that you hear circulating a lot--but from what I understand of the theory, that's not really the direct implication. To me, it seems much more, well, scientific. It tries to explain how different forms of matter (namely, subatomic particles) can be fundamentally the same but have different properties, but it leaves questions of spirituality completely out of the equation. Still, I suppose you could easily say that I just don't want to look at spiritual implications of the theory; they could exist if you were willing to take the leap, but coming to that conclusion from the conclusions of string theory would require a different (non-empirical) form of reasoning.

A quick note to Closrapexa: You raise an interesting point, and I'd like to get to it soon, but unfortunately I have to dash away for the moment. I'll respond as soon as I can.

ravenest

I dont know if i got everything right, and i hope i dont get too much off topic, but I'm too curious about that interconnectedness to leave this one out:D
I studied philosophy for some time, and one of the professors mentioned modern string theories being similar to the chinese believe of qi. Qi being seen as a form.of energy (yeah, i know. Troublesome little word:eek:) which flows through everything, those connecting people with the universe (I dont mean the scientific terms, more the general and a bit unspecific. Sorry for that). As far as i understood string theories, open strings are supposed to connect with other open strings in some way... But im no scientist...

Is that all the professors mentioned ? I have read some pretty far out Taoists stuff that relates to some modern concepts in physics. ... I think I even remember a book back in the late 70s called 'The Tao of Physics' ( so probably VERY out of date by now) . (quick check ... ah yes! by Fritjof Capra (how could I forget THAT name ! ), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tao_of_Physics.

There isnt going to be a melding anytime soon, but some views see similarities in some concepts,

Then there is the Qabalah where we can perceive a type of inversion played out with M-theory - when we look INto the 'heart' of matter (aside from its 'creative principles and dynamics as expressed in Qabbalah); the three ideal realms (supernal triad) become inverted to the 3 'material dimensions' with time added as a forth, with another 6 added to make 7 'internals' - so all up 10 'dimensions' with an 11th somehow fitted in (Daath). If one wants to bring Thelemic images into it, open and closed (looped) strings ; Hadit and Nuit dynamics, and the duality of each particle in 'supersymmetry' 0=2 :

Height, width, and length constitute three-dimensional space, and time gives a total of four observable dimensions; however, string theories initially supported the possibility of ten dimensions – the remaining six of which we cannot detect directly. This was later increased to 11 dimensions based on various interpretations of the ten dimensional theory that led to five partial theories ... Super-gravity theory also played a significant part in establishing the necessity of the 11th dimension.” (Wikipeadia).

The relationship of this model to the Qabbalistic model of 10 spheres of Creation (with an 11th and ‘hidden’ sphere – Daath, situated in the ‘Abyss’) and its manifestation through the 5 elements (including 'quintessence' ) is an interesting correlation .

[ “String theory’s concept of supersymmetry is a fancy way of saying that each particle has a related particle called a superpartner. 0r ... every 'unit' can be expressed as 0 ( 'a' thing or 'a nothing' ) = 2 'things' ( ie/. +1 + -1 )

some examples of the superpartner names.
"
Higgs boson Higgsino
Neutrino Sneutrino
Lepton Slepton
Z boson Zino
W boson Wino
Gluon Gluino
Muon Smuon
Top quark Stop squark.” – Wikipedia article on String Theory.]

JackofWands

Atheism does not mean lack of spirituality, and words like energy and even God are quite proper to use as placeholders for ideas. Many of the doctrines of the Golden Dawn, cloaked as they are in the language of the occult, could be seen as meditative techniques. Magick, too, as a discipline, need not be eschewd simply because there is no scientific jargon to use with it. Hermeticism does not deal in theology, but in the technology and techniques of initiation.

Thelema, for example, makes great use of gods and has a specific pantheon. This still does not mean that belief in those gods is necessary. One could also "worship" them as anthropomorphised forces of nature, and the human symbolism used is because it is easier to connect emotionally to a figure than it is to an idea.

It's interesting that you say this. I understand that, theoretically, atheism does not have to entail a lack of spirituality. Ostensibly, the word merely means a lack of belief in (or, if you really want to stretch it, a non-acknowledgement of) deity or deities. However, speaking for myself and the majority of other self-identified atheists with whom I've interacted in person, I find that atheism is derived from an empirical worldview which precludes other forms of untestable spirituality as well.

Let's take the example of magick. Yes, in theory, magick doesn't require belief in a deity, but at the same time, I personally find myself unable to dance that particular tango because I come back to the perpetual sticking point of the lack of external (non-anecdotal) evidence that it works. It's the same qualm that prevents me from subscribing to religious beliefs. It's not just a question of there not being "scientific jargon" to describe magick, but of me having no reason to believe it any more than in a God or gods.

You raise points about hermeticism and the various rituals of the Golden Dawn and Thelema as not requiring belief in deity, which is interesting. (Contained somewhere in this quote of yours is the seed of a very interesting debate about the respective values of orthodoxy and orthopraxy, but I think that probably belongs more in the Spirituality sub-forum, so I'll leave off on that one.)

Anyways, yes, you're right that the power of ritual and initiatory traditions does not have to be lessened by a lack of religious belief, although I would add the caveat that for me, this is only true insofar as those rituals and traditions don't rely fundamentally on the belief in supernatural forces or the defiance of the known laws of physics. This is actually a very interesting and relevant point to me, because I do quite a lot of work with the Major Arcana that could be variously described as meditation, active imagination, ritual, or I suppose even a "secularized" form of devotional polytheism. I have worked with the cards to the extent that they've developed autonomous personalities in my mind, and I can interact with them freely, even though I don't literally believe that they exist as entities outside of my own consciousness. And the value of my work with these cards is in no way lessened by that lack of belief. It's very similar to what you describe as working with "anthropomorphised forces of nature", although my work with the Major Arcana would probably better be described as an anthropomorphism of the various elements of the psyche.

I may be talking circles around myself here (it's quite late in France right now, but I really want to get this reply off to you), so I apologize if I'm not getting to the point as expediently as I would be. What I'm driving at is that I agree with you in a very broad sense--atheism does not have to preclude spirituality, and working with spiritual themes in a ritualized context can have immense psychological value that I as an atheist still recognize. However, I personally draw the line when that spirituality starts to cross over into a literal belief in cosmic entities, forces or events that can't actually be shown externally.

ravenest

It's interesting that you say this. I understand that, theoretically, atheism does not have to entail a lack of spirituality. Ostensibly, the word merely means a lack of belief in (or, if you really want to stretch it, a non-acknowledgement of) deity or deities. However, speaking for myself and the majority of other self-identified atheists with whom I've interacted in person, I find that atheism is derived from an empirical worldview which precludes other forms of untestable spirituality as well.

Let's take the example of magick. Yes, in theory, magick doesn't require belief in a deity, but at the same time, I personally find myself unable to dance that particular tango because I come back to the perpetual sticking point of the lack of external (non-anecdotal) evidence that it works. It's the same qualm that prevents me from subscribing to religious beliefs. It's not just a question of there not being "scientific jargon" to describe magick, but of me having no reason to believe it any more than in a God or gods.

You raise points about hermeticism and the various rituals of the Golden Dawn and Thelema as not requiring belief in deity, which is interesting. (Contained somewhere in this quote of yours is the seed of a very interesting debate about the respective values of orthodoxy and orthopraxy, but I think that probably belongs more in the Spirituality sub-forum, so I'll leave off on that one.)

In magic, practice and belief are intertwined but belief is used like practice ... it is a tool not a reality ... it is seen as 'belief' and not 'reality - how things actually are'. This may not apply to a Magician that is 'religious' or conforms to a religion ... although such a person can be a magician (of a different type). Its a hard thing to define , e.g. do I believe I will survive death and continue on in some form ? Absolutely ! Do I KNOW I will ? ... I have no idea ... no one 'knows' that !

- Now ask the same question of a devout Christian or Muslim and observe the answers.

It is like fishing ... you have to be connected to the lure via the line to catch the fish ... but you have to disguise the line ... you have to 'trick the fish' ( or one's 'soul' * ) to not seeing the line ... it works even better if the fisherman (magician) can 'trick himself' into believing the line isnt there too - like it easier to tell if a lie is being told when the person telling the lie doesnt even believe it themselves.

A religionist wholeheartedly and without doubt believes in a deity ... a magician uses that process of the psyche, but the belief does not permeate his whole being. According to Crowley this is THE most dangerous magical practice of all ... convincing yourself so much of the reality of a deity, by working the deep unconscious processes for a conscious end, that you actually transfer from being a magician to a religious devotee.

Anyways, yes, you're right that the power of ritual and initiatory traditions does not have to be lessened by a lack of religious belief, although I would add the caveat that for me, this is only true insofar as those rituals and traditions don't rely fundamentally on the belief in supernatural forces or the defiance of the known laws of physics. This is actually a very interesting and relevant point to me, because I do quite a lot of work with the Major Arcana that could be variously described as meditation, active imagination, ritual, or I suppose even a "secularized" form of devotional polytheism. I have worked with the cards to the extent that they've developed autonomous personalities in my mind, and I can interact with them freely, even though I don't literally believe that they exist as entities outside of my own consciousness.

That is a very magical approach. Actually ... you can just drop that belief ... it is immaterial ... in Thelemic magic ( NOT Thelemic 'religion' ! ) - or 'Scientific Illuminism' "entities outside of my own consciousness" is actually immaterial

See http://hermetic.com/crowley/libers/lib6.html points 1 - 4

And the value of my work with these cards is in no way lessened by that lack of belief. It's very similar to what you describe as working with "anthropomorphised forces of nature", although my work with the Major Arcana would probably better be described as an anthropomorphism of the various elements of the psyche.

I may be talking circles around myself here (it's quite late in France right now, but I really want to get this reply off to you), so I apologize if I'm not getting to the point as expediently as I would be. What I'm driving at is that I agree with you in a very broad sense--atheism does not have to preclude spirituality, and working with spiritual themes in a ritualized context can have immense psychological value that I as an atheist still recognize. However, I personally draw the line when that spirituality starts to cross over into a literal belief in cosmic entities, forces or events that can't actually be shown externally.

Dont worry, you are coming across quiet clear IMO. yes, a BIG danger in misunderstanding is literal belief.

A magical, hermetic or perhaps what you outline, approach is perceived the WORST way via literal belief ... unless that literal belief is part of and identical within the components of the set.

Much of the ideas behind tarot and other 'magical' or 'occult' things we study are totally confused by approaching them with an old/modern mind set ( a modern mind set that has not caught up with 'forefront research' while trying to interpret the old mindset literally ... it just wont work ! ) eg.

there are different levels of knowledge (about 'a' thing ) in all cultures, that operate in similar ways. (The Sufis say to look at a thing 7 ways to understand it )

In many cases, at the deeper levels, the knowledge becomes expressed in a similar form (aboriginal story has deep psychology, base hermetic principles seem reflected in concepts in quantum physics, - and here is a favourite of mine - cultures with no previous contact have the same type of mythological story for some asterisms ).

One has to start operating on that same multi level / view reality oneself to try to understand it.

You need to be introduced into the culture to get the benefit - many of the higher or deeper mysteries require their own language or symbol system ( general eg. alchemical symbolism ) - complex and deeply psychological / mystical experience is often beyond words ... it may take time and familiarity with the communication system of the method and symbols first , before deeper communication can take place.

The indigenous I stay with have several 'creatures' hanging around .... they are like scary boogiemen that are real to many of them. " Their faces and their shapes, are terrible and strange " ... weird forms , like the man that will chase you, ".. he throws one leg over his shoulder and hops after you ... he can hop faster than you can run." .... yet an elder, in private conversation with me, refers to them as spiritual beings and his guardians' and how he has love for them.

For them; this 'here now' , what we call 'reality' is seen as spiritmatter ... not spirit and/or matter (this is a crucial element in understanding too ... to comprehend any of this we have to get out of the dualistic Cartesian mind-set).

Another way of looking at this 'reality' ... to be able to understand this viewpoint (which is really all viewpoints) ... that is, the 7 views of the Sufi { or the 7 / 12 of the astrologer or ... } all meld into one. So really all the levels (including the literal) are THE meaning at the same time ... the only 'one reality' is all of them ... perhaps even 'all possible realities'.

This might help ?

http://www.harpur.or...onicreality.htm

I would add there is a danger in literal interpretation alone ... that is that one might miss the significance;. Aboriginal culture is like Egyptian culture in this regard ... in that just because people of that culture (cultures actually; there were over 600 different Aboriginal languages) in different locations and times said very different things ( creator was a giant snake ... creator was a woman walking out the ocean, etc ) doesnt mean one was right and another wrong ... they are describing different things in different ways; generation, fertility, relationships, laws and NOT ONLY perceived as literal.

One big jigsaw puzzle ... that here would be followed and lived out, moving through the land and country and songs and stories you had access to and where part of your dreaming, your extended family connections, totem and totemic rights ... eventually to build up a big picture.

It is actually the modern mind that sees a distinction in them ... a distinction that they mean one literal thing. And the modern mind is only a few hundred years old and trying to deal with millennia of previous deep programmings - a magician understands that and uses them (well, an 'enlightened' magician does).

* by soul I mean 'that imaginative capacity that demands the consciousness experience certain permeated and 'shuffled' , linear or random, organised or chaotic archetypal themes that 'need' to be brought into a literal reality (or as close to it as possible) and ego-consciousness.

Zephyros

Thank you ravenest, I was hoping you would take this, I was out of my depth. Very thought provoking response.

Poor Wandering One

I also approach tarot from an atheistic perspective. I started studying tarot and Qabalah in its relation to it way back in my twenties. I wasn't an atheist at that point, but I knew I definitely wasn't Christian (I was raised in a Catholic family). I explored neo-paganism and various New Age writings--simple non-belief didn't even occur to me as an option until I was about thirty years old. Since that time (I'm 47 now), I've become a convinced atheist. I don't believe in any gods or other forces that could be described as supernatural.

After putting my esoteric interests on hold for about seventeen years, I've recently been drawn back to tarot and I've been reading a lot about it in relation to Qabalah and Hermetic philosophy. Though opinion and practice seems to vary widely, the general impression I've been getting in my studies these past few months is that god belief is largely beside the point. The wonderful thing about mysticism is that nothing is literally what the ordinary definition of the words would imply. Once you get past that barrier, nearly anything goes!

I have a background in theater, so I liken it very much to portraying a character. As an actor in a play, I have the conviction of everything I do and say--even though what I do has been directed by someone, and everything I say has been written by someone else. Still, it all seemingly comes together in an organic form so that the character has a life. It's all a physicalized, and ritualized, act of imagination. Good plays and good actors have real emotions, and express human truths relevant to their cultural context--it isn't so much that belief is required as much as suspension of disbelief. It's art.

ravenest

I have a background in theater, so I liken it very much to portraying a character. As an actor in a play, I have the conviction of everything I do and say--even though what I do has been directed by someone, and everything I say has been written by someone else. Still, it all seemingly comes together in an organic form so that the character has a life. It's all a physicalized, and ritualized, act of imagination. Good plays and good actors have real emotions, and express human truths relevant to their cultural context--it isn't so much that belief is required as much as suspension of disbelief. It's art.

YES !

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i268/Itzlzha/applause.gif

Now ... when you are an actor (or being a magician working the 3rd path {note its adverse effects; fanatacism } - see magick and Yoga section http://hermetic.com/crowley/equinox/i/ii/eqi02016.html - its VERY brief - in something like Liber Astarte ... or assumption of God forms, or even 'assumption of Tarot majors' ) on stage or 'in the circle' you cant be an actor ... you are the character (if you are a good actor) but you aren't really the character ... getting lost in the character is like adopting a religion (for a magician) ... the magical invocation of the 'character' (or 'worship' ) is more effective on multiple planes and hence, more 'dangerous'.

Which leads to 'ritual drama' the most potent of magical ceremonies ; it is utilized strongly in initiation (where you may be unaware. at first, which character you are or what is an appropriate response, so learning and teaching is attempted to be emulated by copying a 'life process' of learning (by mimicking certain events. perhaps from mythology, and learning on multiple levels how to respond).

Then there is ritual drama where roles are previously known understood and acted out , in some cases, as liturgical religious ritual and in other cases as dramatic ritual (one of the oldest and primeval magical forms).

I did multiple series of these over a period of 7 years (when we had a working group) - fantastic ! With proper resources and multiple performances you cab change roles and characters and experience the stories on multiple levels and viewpoints ... some characters repeat and re-emerge in different plays and you can act those ones and progress through the series of plays : planets " mythological themes and down the Tree of Life Sephiroth - great stuff

POOR WANDERING ONE ... do check these out :

http://hermetic.com/crowley/the-rites-of-eleusis/

[ And just think ... all this stuff has its specifically designed own Tarot deck to go with it ! :) ]