Ancient Tarot of Bologna

sapienza

I recieved this deck in the mail today. I wasn't expecting to like it all that much, but have been very surprised by how much I do. I've done a bit of a search but there is really very little information around about this deck.

I was really wondering how it fitted in with other historical decks. I'm assuming that it isn't technically a Marseille deck but it certainly follows a the pattern very closely (to my novice eyes anyway). I notice on the tarothermit site that it's classified as a 'Lombardy' pattern

http://www.tarothermit.com/decks.htm

So, am I right to assume that this was a deck created in Italy but influenced by the Marseille pattern? I think what excites me about this deck is that I understand it was the deck on which the 1835 della roca/soprafino deck was based, which I love. It's interesting to compare the two.

I've actually started comparing different historical decks and different Marseille decks.....I think this means I'm officially 'hooked' :)

Le Fanu

Just seen this. What is odd about this deck (much as I like it, I can't quite get into it...) is that although it is Bologna, it is very very similar, almost identical to a gem of a deck I found in Barcelona and which was published in a limited edition by the Card Museum in Victoria and is listed as an 18th Century Venetian deck.

Not very helpful if I don't post scans, I know. Im just stating facts....:)

Bernice

There seems to be a bit more information about this deck in other threads where posters mention it. But like Sapienza, I think this Bologna Tarot deserves a thread of it's own.

It just arrived today and I've been loooking through the images. Quirky & delightful! Aside from the occasional reversed image (left/right) there are other 'goodies'.

The noticably tipped scales in Justice. The higher 'bowl' is on the right side closest to the Sword.

The crowned eagle on the Four of Coins.

The crown at the foot of the King of Coins.

.....still browing through this deck.

I'm not a lover of images with blotches, bleeds & splodges, and these are rife with them! But the lines are clearly discernable and most of the faces are cleanly drawn and quite attractive, unlike faces in other old decks.

The image colourings - although seeming haphazard - are appealingly gentle on the eye. In all, I have to say that for me the Bologna has an atmosphere. It's not in-your-face pushy, nor so heavily splodged that you can't see the details. I LIKE it!

Bee :)

Le Fanu

Yes, this deck really is wonderful... I love it more and more each day (so ignore what I posted above about not quite getting into it!). I have the Meneghello version on the way, but I love the LoS version... I go more and more to his deck and I've noticed a bit of a groundswell here at AT for this deck too (watch it become the new desirable historical deck!). Everyone seems to like the friendly faces and gentle feel. None of the faces are unreadable in terms of the firmness of the line. Some of these woodcut decks lose character in the faces because of lines missing etc, but here, the gentle smiles are all there! Even the horses of the Knights smile...

(love the details; La Papesse trying not to peek at her book! The man with his arm round one of the congregation listening to Le Pape, the mysterious ghostly face peering from under the Roue de Fortuna. The Hermit looks like he's braving the wind and I love that WTF hat on the King of Deniers!)

Bernice

.....the mysterious ghostly face peering from under the Roue de Fortuna.
Ah! Le Fanu, I got the magnifying glass out to make sure that is a face - so pleased you agree. Isn't it so mystifying! :laugh:

Cannot think why there is a crown at the foot of the King Coins, perhaps his values arn't as material as we are led to believe?

Bee :)

More discussion about this deck here in the Decks forum;

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=128395

sapienza

So glad you like the deck Bernice. :) I love 'La Force' in this deck. Also, what a beautiful Empress....and with wings. I think the faces have so much expression compared to some of the other woodcut decks.

Le Fanu, I'll be keen to hear how you like the Meneghello one when it arrives. Not that I want it or anything. :) I'm still considering getting a second copy of the LS edition to trim. But in saying that, perhaps a second copy isn't a bad idea whether I trim or not....I'm sure you are right and it will soon be OOP and HTF.

sapienza

Cross-posted with you Bee. I hadn't noticed the crown at his feet. Shame on me. I think I was too focused on the fact that his chair has no legs on one side. His hat is very 'special' though isn't it? :) I really must spend some more quality time with this deck.

sapienza

It is my absolute pleasure :)

Right....that's it.....I'm going to have to get a back-up now :D

Le Fanu

If I remember rightly, didn't I enable you on this one sapienza? It was the only Italian one you didn't have and I was pushing you over the edge! :D

sapienza

I think I have a list somewhere of decks you enabled me on :laugh: and yes, I'm sure this was one of them.