Annoyed

Little Hare

Okay i have to post this because i'm in a p*ssy mood, i know its juvinile but i'm frustrated with myself. My sister in law asked me to read her cards today, i told her sure no problem, but the reading may not be objective because i know her really well... She said fine... well i pulled out the cards and do you think i could read for her?....

Nope i tried three times and got hardly anything... She could read the cards for herself... which had me flawed and which i thought was great. (i'm actually going to buy her a deck now) She then gave me a reading and was spot on... and she has no prior knowledge of tarot.

I know i shouldn't be annoyed due to the fact that i couldn't read for her but i can't help it :( Does anyone have any advice about what i can do to stop being a brat about it....

Liralen

Well, maybe this wasn't about your reading abilities at all, maybe your sister in law was supposed to find her way to tarot through you. So there might have been a block preventing you from giving her a reading - and your reading abilities are just fine!

Little Hare

i never thought about it like that! thanks :) I'm actually really excited for her and am going to buy her a deck as a surprise

Sulis

Don't read for family.

I think you were just too close so you couldn't read the cards.

I've tried reading for family before and I can either get nothing out of my cards or I get stuff that I really don't want to know.
There are some folks heads that I just don't want to delve into and family members fall into that bracket :)

And as Liralen has said, now your sister in law has had a chance to work with the cards and realised that she may be very good at it.
So it turned out to be a good reading after all :)

MeeWah

peace_pixie: Reading for family can be difficult to nigh impossible, similar to reading for self because of the relationship & accompanying lack of detachment. & worse of all: family members more apt to shoot the messenger than a stranger would. So my general advice is to not (in the same way I tend to advise do not lend $ to family nor friends unless one willing to give as a gift).

I read for family upon request & offer whence 'prompted'. Thus far, not had any complaints. My kids the only folks who largely do not want me reading for them. They say I am "scary", & I know that to be because I end up knowing more than they want me to know. They have, however, mellowed out over the years & do ask if I can "see" whatever.

I think your giving a deck to your sister-in-law a wonderful gesture! This strikes more as an opportunity to encourage her interest & efforts than anything else.

& of course, do refer her to Aeclectic Tarot :)

AJ

what deck were you using, and what deck will you gift her with?
What a wonderful gift to yourself if you end up with a real live tarot buddy!

Umbrae

One: Reading for family and friends sucks. Personal bias can kill objective results.

Two: So what was the pressure? Lay the cards out - get up and walk away, who says you 'gotta have the answer pronto?' give yourself a break. Go dust a chandelier or something…peel a grape…that undue pressure to KNOW and KNOW NOW will bring your reading career to a halt sooner or later.

Tois: Like what deck was it? It weren’t the Voyager and it weren’t Thoth. So when you gonna get a real deck…? Hmmm? images that don't resonate should be avoided.

Little Hare

thanks everyone, i was just being a sook about it (i'm going to blame my aries nature here :)

The deck i used was the universal waite; i got it about one month ago, which is something i thought i would never do, but i find myself gravitating to it more and more! i've given readings on here with pretty good results (so i've been told)

In regards to reading for family i have read for my cousin before and that was fine (except she knew what the cards already meant even tho she had no prior knowlede of tarot or oracle so i gave her deck!)

But my sister-in law actually did mention how close we are (which was nice) and i explained to her why i couldn't get any results.

Thanks everyone... i have alot better perspective about it :D

you guys are fab!

Little Hare

AJ said:
what deck were you using, and what deck will you gift her with?
What a wonderful gift to yourself if you end up with a real live tarot buddy!

:D i was using universal waite, which is slowly drawing me closer and closer in... i'm going to gift her with a copy of universal waite, because in her words.... "the cards are so beautiful, are easy to read and the backs with the stars are gorgeous!" :D

Miren

That's also a good deck for a beginner, since it's got classic imagery, but it's prettier than the plainer RWS. :)

I would agree with others that it seems like this experience was more for you to introduce her to the cards than to do a specific reading for her. Perhaps this will create a new bond between the two of you. :)