Another resource on reading Saturn?

seaweed

Looks like another trip to the bookstore for me :)

There definitely have to be more moderate opinions on Saturn and I love the idea that Saturn can be grandmotherly, a non-extremest, gently guiding sage.

Yep, I'll positively haunt the bookstores this week and whatever I can't find at the chains, I'll drive on down to the AFA :)

Thanks again, everybody!

Fulgour

I would also recommend spending time with Saturn.
She is visible now, rising behind Orion, by Regulus.

star-lover

ok, is this visible to the naked eye? i've read up on how to recognise orion but if saturn is behind this how do i know its saturn and not just another star?

ive read saturn will rise in the east just after 9pm here UK time - and luckily there is a clear night tonight so fingers crossed will spot something - its a dull yellowish colour i believe

wish i knew where my binoculars were

Fulgour

It's very easy to see Saturn with the naked eye
once it rises above the usually hazy horizon line.

When there are other planets, to align together,
you can trace the plane of the ecliptic to reveal
which stars may actually be planets ~ but lately
they've all been gathered around to Sun for now.

If you keep in mind that Saturn is in the sign Leo
and Leo is in the constellation Virgo...it may help.

star-lover

yup everything seems to be in sagitarius at the mo or very soon - mind you I read you can see mercury at dawn or thereabouts for a change

hazy it turned out tonight though at around 5pm the sky was clear and that dusky bluey green - wonderful
lets see tomorrow
thank you fulgour x

Fulgour

Hazy in the Dark too

Saturn will be out for hours... right up until dawn.
If you can find Orion, look East about 35 degrees
and at an angle to the North... there'll be a box,
or what looks like a square: Saturn is upper right.

seaweed

:) o.k. I've been dragging my feet to join the local astronomy club because I don't have a telescope, but they're promising beautiful views through Feb. (they say Venus will be awesome through their 16" 'scope)...and if I can catch sight of Saturn...well, it might just be worth going every Friday.

Love the tip about Orion. Whenever I walk the dog outside (esp. when it's cold and windy and she gets scared) I tell her that as long as the great hunter is up in the sky with his big and little dogs, he looks out for all dogs. Does my dog understand astronomy? Probably not :) She probably even misses my allusions to Orion and the building of the pyramids...but it was the second constellation I ever learned, so I have to pass it on to someone, right? :)

Fulgour

Starry Arizona Skies

If this link works click here you will be looking East tonight at midnight in Arizona.

Here is the homepage:
http://www.wunderground.com

Just enter your Country, State, or City...(it's easy)
then scroll down to where it says: Astronomy
and click on: View the Full Star Chart!

You can customize any and all of the settings.

Enjoy!