Antique ~ Vintage ~ Circa ~ Retro ~ Age & Time: Our decks and definitions

Elven

Logiatrix said:
:laugh:

Or, how about 'ancient'? Lots of tarot titles seem to involve 'ancient', but I've purchased from a few sellers who really take that literally!:rolleyes:

LOL! Everytime I see "Ancient" I think of Egypt or somewhere with a lot of camels ... or stone tablets ... and dusty decks ...

Elven

Debra said:
I really appreciate Elven trying to pin all this down.

As a practical matter, unfortunately it's only art and antique dealers who are likely to use the proper terminology for "old" stuff.

People say "antique" all the time, meaning "made before I was born."

And "vintage" seems to be a totally vague word. I think it was orginally adopted, like the car salesman's "pre-owned," as a highbrow-sounding synonym for "used." "Used" evokes someone else's feet in the thrift shop shoes, someone else driving the car into the ground before you buy it, some else's fingerprints on the cards. A lot of people believe that NEW and UNUSED is better. Social snobbery, in my opinion, just my opinion and I'm sticking with it :p

But "vintage"! Now THERE'S a word! Like a fine wine, a vintage object, perhaps not a real antique but gosh, so classy-sounding!

Professional art and antique dealers, they are legally bound not to misrepresent their items, and terminology is important to them for that reason. Your average E-bay Ed or Edna--what do they care.

True. I was looking at a thread on the Ebay site about how does a person classify those Age & Time terms, and becasue there is such a variety of items, lets say Proper Antiques from a licensed antique dealer - to clothes, which have there own category of era and age, and then jewellery which was different again - cars/wine/toys ... and then take into consideration that different countries classify them differently as wel .... well no one could really agree on anything :p
But the timing of the eras and the circa stuff had a commonality - it was mainly the words vintage and retro which seemed in so much dispute.

Thanks for the reply Debra :)
Cheers
Elven x

Elven

Shade said:
Very interesting topic. "Classic" is such a fluid term. I have a "classic" Mythic but I only bought it about 6 years ago :)

I think that with current fashion trends people like to use "vintage" liberally to describe something that just looks like it came from another era. My Morgan Greer has a "vintage" feel with it's funky color scheme but was recently printed.

If I were to auction things on ebay I would choose language with my intended buyer in mind and not the merchandise. If I wanted to sell a very rare and valuable deck, I would use language that would make sense to the true tarot collectors. It's a signal that "ok this guy knows what he has and I can trust him." Very specific, non-emotive terminology that tells the buyer what it is and when it's from to justify how much I am asking.

If I were trying to sell a deck that anyone could order from Amazon.com I would most definitely employ emotive language and try to depict the experience of reading tarot rather than the publishing history of the deck in question.

So a $500 rare deck's description will be all about the year of printing and the condition of the cards themselves. A 2008 fairy deck would be a "Mystical tarot deck, perfect for psychic intuition and opening the doorway to the future"

Hi Shade, nice to see you here :D
I guess thats true too - if your looking to a category of buyer and have something 'serious' to sell, I can see the worth in the words being important to translate the sale as accurately as possible without the fluff.
Mystical is another word ...
Maybe I should add a list of 'adjectives and desrciptives' to the list :D just so there's more reference words to use.
I like your thoughts!

Thanks Shade

Cheers
Elven x