Any Good Spread Cloth

Golden Moon

Hello, I've been searching for a good fabric that I can lay on top of my table and fan my cards out without damaging them. I don't like fanning my cards out on regular hard wood table due to the fact that they can get damaged and what worries me is that they can get scratched and ruin where the pictures are at. I've tried polyester and other soft fabrics but they don't seem to work anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Debra

Fuzzy stuff is terrific for fanning--faux suede, corduroy, cotton velvet. The weight also keeps it from sliding off the table.

shadowdancer

I am surprised the cloth materials you mentioned are damaging the cards as you fan them out.

I guess one to consider is velvet material. Might be soft enough not to scratch

Davina

Golden Moon

Debra said:
Fuzzy stuff is terrific for fanning--faux suede, corduroy, cotton velvet. The weight also keeps it from sliding off the table.

Thanks for the advice Debra. I'll look into that. :)

shadowdancer said:
I am surprised the cloth materials you mentioned are damaging the cards as you fan them out.

I guess one to consider is velvet material. Might be soft enough not to scratch

Davina

Can you imagine the look on my face when I fan my cards out on so called "soft fabric"? I've had to buy a replacement deck of cards.

Golden Moon

Thanks alot serenaserendipity. I'm going to look into it. :)

WolfyJames

How about felt? It's cheap and easy to sew, heck, you don't even need to sew felt. You sew or glue (with clothing glue) any soft cloth you like on top of the felt and voila, you get the pretty side of the soft cloth on top and the firmness side of the felt on bottom, your cards will not get harmed anymore. My spread cloth is like that.

Le Fanu

Felt's great! No need to even hem; just cut it to the size you want.

I also have a big black, velvet one. A good weight; doesn't ruffle when you fan your cards out.

Glass Owl

Instead of a cloth I have been using a soft cushioned playmat (card gaming mat) that is normally used when playing Magic The Gathering card game. The back of the play mat grips to smooth tables so it doesn't slide around.

Mine is similar to this one. I have also seen game playmats made by Yugioh that are available in plain colors if you don't care for a design.

Attachments

• 51d8sEOxhgL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    51d8sEOxhgL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 80

Golden Moon

WolfyJames said:
How about felt? It's cheap and easy to sew, heck, you don't even need to sew felt. You sew or glue (with clothing glue) any soft cloth you like on top of the felt and voila, you get the pretty side of the soft cloth on top and the firmness side of the felt on bottom, your cards will not get harmed anymore. My spread cloth is like that.

I have looked into it and it looks very familiar like those teddy bears we were suppose to make when I was in kindergarden. LOL Thanks alot:)

Le Fanu said:
Felt's great! No need to even hem; just cut it to the size you want.

I also have a big black, velvet one. A good weight; doesn't ruffle when you fan your cards out.

I've looked into velvet, but if it gets dirty, how do I clean it? I know those velvet fabrics are suppose to be cleaned vy a dry cleaners. :( Thank you. :)

Glass Owl said:
Instead of a cloth I have been using a soft cushioned playmat (card gaming mat) that is normally used when playing Magic The Gathering card game. The back of the play mat grips to smooth tables so it doesn't slide around.

Mine is similar to this one. I have also seen game playmats made by Yugioh that are available in plain colors if you don't care for a design.

I've seen those before I just don't recall where. Thank you anyways. :)