Any way to soften card edges?

Grizabella

My Green Witch is one of the most gentle to shuffle. I never had any problem at all with it even when it was brand new. It's been used a lot now and is wonderfully worn so that it shuffles like a dream. Over the years I've found that separate printings can be really different, even from the same publisher so maybe they switched to a different card stock after I got mine.

I hope you find a solution that will work for you. If nothing else works, at least I think it will soften up pretty quickly for you just from shuffling it a lot. It did for me.

Tigerangel

Yes, I believe emery paper is what I meant. Even the ultra-fine grit sandpaper doesn't go that fine, if I recall correctly.

You can get emery upto 2000 grade, but that is so ultra fine I don't even use it in my silver work, max I've ever used has been 1200, for card smoothing though I would think anything between the the rage of 600 to 1200 would work, you just need to repeat with a new piece once the bit that's bing used has worn down.

MaeWasteland

My Green Witch is one of the most gentle to shuffle. I never had any problem at all with it even when it was brand new. It's been used a lot now and is wonderfully worn so that it shuffles like a dream. Over the years I've found that separate printings can be really different, even from the same publisher so maybe they switched to a different card stock after I got mine.

I hope you find a solution that will work for you. If nothing else works, at least I think it will soften up pretty quickly for you just from shuffling it a lot. It did for me.

Yeah, I believe Llewellyn has changed their card stock/boxes - it's my first Llewellyn deck so I've nothing to compare it to, but that's what I've read and the box has a sturdy insert so I'm assuming it's the new one!

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone, I'm going to look for some emery paper - I vaguely remember something about dampening the paper making it less likely to split edges of stuff, so I may experiment with that with my blank card...

SarahJoy

Hardware stores don't always stock the really fine sandpapers (not sure about the difference between emery and sand papers), but auto parts stores often have up to 2000 grit sandpaper -- it's used for wet-sanding when painting cars.

Here is an inexpensive pack on Amazon with grits from 400 to 1500.