Anyone familiar w Tarot Certification Board?

GreenMoonBeam

I don not personally think you need forgiveness DG. My feeling is that the site
is an effort to quantify ability. {? is that the word?}

Demon Goddess

greenbean said:
I don not personally think you need forgiveness DG. My feeling is that the site
is an effort to quantify ability. {? is that the word?}

Maybe, my difficulty is when one looks at what is required to be qualified and decides that I am unqualifiable because I don't cut the mustard. Can't I read? Do I really need to know the difference between Aries and Capricorn? Cause I don't and worse... I don't care either!

I dunno about you... but frankly, someone saying, YOU, DG aren't eligible for certification as a professional reader... well, they've got to be certifiable....

I'm nuts... don't mind me.... Bedtime.

I hate certification boards, they mostly don't know their elbows from mine.

You know what "certification" is to me? If I'm a good reader, my clients will come back... THAT is certification. If they don't come back... Well, it's because I can't read, isn't it?

I don't need readers who are younger than my children deciding whether or not I can read based on what such and such a card is "supposed to mean" or whether or not I know anything about astrology or numerology.

Aaargh... don't get me started. ;)

FaeryGodmother

TAROT CERTIFICATION BOARD OF AMERICA said:
Tarot readers are not qualified to predict the future
Er, excuse me? You can get certified but not for the one thing that most people expect when they get a tarot reading???

Floss

Hmmm...

What gives me the giggles about all this is how people expect to 'regulate' a right brain activity with left brain structure ... ?? Did Mozart have to pass exams in order to be recognised as a bloody good composer????? I think not. My repeat clients, and my clients who regularly refer others to me are MY certification.... !

Milfoil

Even if this certification is not about generating money or building a business there are always those who NEED validation of some sort. I'm one in some ways, I feel that being validated by someone who knows more than me somehow makes me justified in what I am doing.

I'm getting over that now, I think its partly why I am on the path I am (can't certify it HAHAHA!) but its very easy for some people to feel that they need to have that certificate to give them the confidence they need to do whatever it is they do.

Of course, it also helps people who have no clue about these things to have a sort of benchmark. As you say, nothing like this can really be proved in Tarot and to be honest, a reader's best advertising is their reputation so if you can't cut it you won't last long. In that case, no need for bits of paper . . .

gregory

TAROT CERTIFICATION BOARD OF AMERICA said:
Tarot readers are not qualified to predict the future

Er, excuse me? You can get certified but not for the one thing that most people expect when they get a tarot reading???

FaeryGodmother said:
Not in my book that isn't what they expect. I don't happen to think it is all about telling the future.... ;)

But I think the whole site is more about making money....

Milfoil - I know what you mean, but tarot (and the path you are on !!) are not really things I would call certifiable !

Apollonia

gregory said:
Not in my book that isn't what they expect. I don't happen to think it is all about telling the future.... ;)

But I think the whole site is more about making money....

Expectations must differ from place to place or something, because if I turned away everyone who wanted to hear about their future, I'd be cutting my business in half. It's not all about tellng the future, but certainly that's a big part of what I do.

I agree with you, though, that it's about making money. I just hope our local government doesn't get wind of this, because they'll be rigging up silly certification tests so they can license us for an annual fee, all in the name of protecting the public.

Has anyone done a reading about this group? I'd be interested in what the cards had to say. About the only certification group I would trust would be one made up of elected members of Aeclectic Tarot.

Disa

Well that's my point. How do you know that the people who are doing the certifications are not members of Aecletic? I understand where all of you are coming from, but I just don't see anything wrong with a person who studies tarot gettting certification if they learn more in the process. I'm sure that I've read in various bios that some writers/tarot readers/leaders of various tarot related things are certified in some capacity. To each his own, but why try to trivialize the hard work and effort people have put into their tarot studies? I mean, really could it not just be a next step on the path to learning for some people? If they got something out of it is it not valuable to them? Haven't you ever read a good tarot book or article and found that the author was a certified tarot reader? Just like you can't say that a person who is not certified is not a good reader, you also can't say that every reader who is certified is not good.

Oh, and about the future-telling, I've only read for about 5 people face to face- every single one of those wanted to know their future. That's pretty much what's expected around here no matter how you want to skirt around it.

gregory

Apollonia said:
Expectations must differ from place to place or something, because if I turned away everyone who wanted to hear about their future, I'd be cutting my business in half. It's not all about telling the future, but certainly that's a big part of what I do.
I did say not ALL about fortune telling ! :D

Maybe the certification people are members here. And I do agree that you can't say that someone who is certified isn't good - but you can't say that being able to show they are certified means that they ARE good, either. That's what bugs me about all these places. I know some people here have worked their butts off for their certification and got a hell of a lot out of it; on the other hand I have a certification from someone here (I forget who) that isn't worth a thing and for which I did nothing at all except say "oh go on then, send me one...." That sort of thing happens a lot, both on line and IRL....

Demon Goddess

Disa said:
Well that's my point. How do you know that the people who are doing the certifications are not members of Aecletic? I understand where all of you are coming from, but I just don't see anything wrong with a person who studies tarot gettting certification if they learn more in the process. I'm sure that I've read in various bios that some writers/tarot readers/leaders of various tarot related things are certified in some capacity. To each his own, but why try to trivialize the hard work and effort people have put into their tarot studies? I mean, really could it not just be a next step on the path to learning for some people? If they got something out of it is it not valuable to them? Haven't you ever read a good tarot book or article and found that the author was a certified tarot reader? Just like you can't say that a person who is not certified is not a good reader, you also can't say that every reader who is certified is not good.

I don't believe that anyone is trying to "trivialize" the work that goes into getting a certification. I think everyone is making the point that just because someone put the work into getting a certification doesn't make them a better reader than those of us who started reading long before someone decided to make a business out of certifying readers.

Lets talk about "certification" for a second while looking at what is 'expected' of the reader... Here are the "certification levels" of the Tarot Certification Board of America...

Certified Apprentice Tarot Reader (CATR)

Knows the meanings of the 78 tarot cards in the upright position
Is able to use spreads of one, two and three cards
details

Certified Tarot Reader (CTR)

Knows the meanings and uses of reversed cards or
Can explain an alternate system that contains equivalent information
Is able to use spreads of four, five, six and seven cards
details

Certified Professional Tarot Reader (CPTR)

Qualified as a CTR
Has written a personal Code of Ethics for doing tarot readings
Is able to rephrase improper or impossible questions
Is able to use spreads of eight or more cards
Knows how to teach others how to read tarot cards
Performed 25 or more professional readings
details

Certified Tarot Consultant (CTC)

Qualified as a CPTR
Can explain in his or her own words what a tarot consultant does
Has written a curriculum for teaching the Major Arcana or
o Has written a tarot meditation for each of the Major Arcana or
o Has written a tarot ritual for each of the Major Arcana or
o Has written a tarot spell for each of the Major Arcana or
o Has written a tarot poem for each of the Major Arcana
Can attribute the seventy-eight tarot cards to another esoteric or occult paradigm and justify their particular attributions
details

Certified Tarot Master (CTM)

Qualified as a CTC
Taught at least five other people how to read the tarot cards.
Published in approved tarot publications:
- a minimum of seven tarot deck reviews
- a minimum of five articles on using the tarot
- a minimum of three tarot book reviews
details

Certified Tarot Instructor (CTI)

Qualified as a CTM
Written a curriculum for teaching tarot to others
Taught students who qualify to become certified for a total of twenty-five certification levels
details

Certified Tarot Grandmaster (CTGM)

Qualified as a CTI
Nationally or internationally recognized tarot expert, teacher, author or reader
Maintains high ethical and professional standards
details

And the cost for certification???

Drumroll please...

$575 USD

One question...

Just what exactly might one consider "alternate system that contains equivalent information"

Never mind "spells"? :rolleyes: