Anyone here a deck hopper?

Mystic_Blue_Jay

Anyone here a deck hopper? By that I mean, do you use a deck for so many months before switching to another? And is it good to deck hop?

I've decided to start to use my Lover's Path Tarot. But before that I swore I'd always use my Thoth. And before that I'd swore I'd always use my World Spirit. And before that.... you get the picture.

kmartin60

LOL, I defininetly get the pic!

I had to chuckle when you were talking about "this deck, but before that this deck," ....etc. I also just cant keep to just one! (Just like M & M's!) :-}
I only do readings on this forum under COS or newbie exchange, and also do some practice ones on another forum, other than those just read for myself (At least for now) My part of the country is not as progressive as I had though or hoped! So.....(Big sigh) but when reading for those online I have to pick one deck, but usually once I have posted my reading will go ahead and do it again with one of my other ones to see how close they come to one another! (Just noted for my own curiosity!) I keep my tarot journal and do my daily readings and skip a line between deck reads, and on outside perimieter jot down shorthand what deck the read was from. Some decks I just "Get" a better reading from The others are new and am still trying to know them better. But YES Im a deck hopper! And proud of it! LOL, LOL Have a wonderful holiday, Kim

tarobones

enjoy

Some people are confirmed deck hoppers, others are experimenting with using the same deck for 6 months or longer, and putting away all others. It's up to you. Whatever you do, enjoy the tarot journey! BB, Michael

Blue Fury

Until about a year ago I owned just the one deck and that was Thoth. Even though I have a profound respect for my favourite deck I have increased my collection to something close to 12 or 13 and have used them all over the last year. I find that I tend to favour specific decks for certain types of readings. For example, for self development issues I tend to reach for my Tarot of Trransformation, for male empowerment I like Rohrig, for female empowerment I prefer the Goddess tarot, for romance I like the Gilded, for hearth and home I like Druidcraft, for career I like the Ancient Egyptian etc etc. For me, Thoth is still the ultimate deck, but I also love matching the deck to the reading and am sure that using more than one deck has helped me develop as a reader and increased my enjoyment of the subject as a whole.

Do whatever works for you and enjoy it ;)

Right, am now off to look at the Lovers Path which has been sitting on my wishlist for an age,

Fury x

sharpchick

Oh yes, I am a bona fide deck hopper. I get a new deck, study and read with it till it fits like an old glove. . . then I start feeling some angst for my last "favorite" and go back to it again, until one of the many enablers on this message board starts raving about another deck, either one which I find I must acquire, or one I already have. Then the cycle starts all over again.

Great, isn't it? :D

Asher

Oh, yeah...

sharpchick said:
Oh yes, I am a bona fide deck hopper. Great, isn't it? :D

It certainly _is_ great! I jump right in with a new deck, read the companion book (if there is one) and just start reading with it. Then, when I feel the call, it's off to another deck, and so on...

Having a weekly Tarot Circle allows me to often use a different deck each week, and our members get to see many decks from my collection. Some of them have started to collect as well! It makes me so proud! Now, several folks bring more than 1 deck to circle and use the one they feel best suits the reading or activity we have planned.

Being a deck-hopper also allows me to re-connect with many of my decks that I have not used in awhile. I try to take each one out and look at/use it at least once a year, but it's not always possible.

Asher

Abrac

I'm not really a deck hopper - I just have a couple of decks I read with - but I have found that using other kinds of divination too keeps things interesting. I only used one deck for a long time, the RWS, then I discovered, quite by accident, that by adding different things to the mix I was able to expand my awareness and access new insights that were previously unavailable. I wouldn't hop just for the sake of hopping, but if you feel a strong impulse to try something new, give it a try. You may find it works well for you once or twice, or it may end up being something you stick with.

-fof

SunChariot

Yes I do that. :grin: Sometimes I have up to three new ones I have yet to try too. Sometimes I try one once and go onto the next.

Whether or not that is helpful or harmful depends I would think on how you read. I read very intuitively, so for me having a good variety of decks and not using the same one too many times in a row keeps my readings fresh, as in this way by the time I get back to a deck I no longer remember what I saw in it's images last time.

For people who like to learn the card meanings, this may not be such a useful technique I would imagine...

Bar

sharpchick

SunChariot said:
Whether or not that is helpful or harmful depends I would think on how you read. I read very intuitively, so for me having a good variety of decks and not using the same one too many times in a row keeps my readings fresh, as in this way by the time I get back to a deck I no longer remember what I saw in it's images last time.

For people who like to learn the card meanings, this may not be such a useful technique I would imagine...

Nodding in agreement
I think if I read consistently with just one deck over an extended period of time, I tend to use "canned" interpretations. Switching decks periodically makes me see things in each card which I might have glossed over by using just one deck. But then I'm a pretty visual person anyway, so I'd guess there would be a fair degree of variation in answers to this from a lot of people.

SunChariot

Actually, I try not to use the same deck twice in a row. I alternate amongst my 18 (now), so it can be months between usages of each deck. How's that for being a deck hopper. LOL

Bar