Are court cards the only cards that can represent people?

Queen313

I've been lookign at a lot of different spreads and sometimes there is a card that is supposed to represent the "who" in a situation. Sometimes these spreads say to divide your deck into court cards, minors, and majors, but other times they don't. So I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on this. And if other cards can represent people, how would a card like the tower, temperance, or the 2 of swords be interpreted as a person?

Thanks! I'm still learning, so sorry if this is a really "easy" question.

ana luisa

That ´s not an easy question nor should you feel ashamed to ask. To me, it really depends on the reading. Each reading has an energy, an aura to it. Because I read cards inuitively, I sometimes see the "who", as you name it, as one character in a card. For example, I may see the person as one of the boys fighting in the 5 of wands; I may also see the person as the bird on the lady´s arm in the 9 or pentacles. I may feel that the person is the tower itself, crcking in two or burning. It really depends on what you feel the moment you start reading. So, yes, any card can be a person. But here are no easy recipes for what could mean what...

balenciaga

People

Some people, sometimes, read the Hierophant, the magician, the HP, the Emperor, the Empress, the 9 of Pents, as people along with the courts. I hardly ever read pages as children, as some people do; I read them as messages, though the page of pentacles I read as a student.
Hope this does not confuse you. All depends on context and placement - type of reading.

Sophie

All of the cards can represent people, sometimes.

All of the cards (including the courts) can represent events, actions or general energies, sometimes.

And all of them, if you study, have a placement on the tree of life, an attribution and a lot of correspondences, which will help with interpretation.

But in the end, a reader deciding if this or that card has a person in it or something else takes a psychic leap of faith. Go with the Fool...

;)

Gayla

One way to help determine if a card other than a court represents a person is to consider the zodiac attibutes of the card and the personality traits associated with the sign.

Tarotpedia list the sign for each card, but not all the trumps have signs assigned to them because they are considered planetary, such as the Magician and High Priestess.

For example, the Chariot's zodiac attibute is Cancer, so it may represent a loyal, nurturing person.

Here's a good link with a list.

http://www.supertarot.co.uk/astro/attrib.htm

I don't work with astrological attibutes very often, but I find it does help to have a basic understanding.

SunChariot

In theory, any card can represent almost anything. It's what you see in it. If you ask a question and a card comes up and your first thought it that ir reminds you of someone, then to me that card is talking about then. I know that has happened to me where a card with a figure in it with goat horns has come up and it reminded me of a good friend who is a Capricorn.

So, my answer, from the way I see and do things, is yes another card can represent a person.

Bar

Queen313

Thanks for all of the responses!

celticnoodle

Fudugazi said:
All of the cards can represent people, sometimes.

All of the cards (including the courts) can represent events, actions or general energies, sometimes.

And all of them, if you study, have a placement on the tree of life, an attribution and a lot of correspondences, which will help with interpretation.

But in the end, a reader deciding if this or that card has a person in it or something else takes a psychic leap of faith. Go with the Fool...

;)
this is very, very true. even the minors can at times represent a person. today, i had a client come in for a reading, trying to connect with her mother and maternal grandparents. We took one person at a time, doing a 5 card read. the first card is suppose to represent the person you are contacting, and I turned up the 7 cups. I told my client this person coming through was someone who was always full of hope and dreams. "That's my grandmother!" she exclaimed. (I was relieved). The 2nd reading, was much the same way- with the 9cups reversed showing up to describe the next person---"my mother!" So, it goes to show you that even the minors can rep. a person. (My client was very happy with all 3 her readings, though her grandfather did not come through, she was convinced that her grandmother was who came through twice, not allowing grandfather in! :laugh:)