Are decks more valuable sealed?

nisaba

Sometimes a deck's value is in how it's been used and how that makes it feel in the hands to the next person. Undisturbed shrinkwrapping isn't always an advantage.

Briar Rose

SphinYote said:
Yes, and it's not just tarot....

I do know that there was no guarantee that all components of a given item were re-shrinkwrapped together before some of the employees put them back on the shelves.

Of course, one of my coworkers liked to mess around and shrinkwrap all the tools in the frameshop on quiet evenings....we were quite annoyed when he shrinkwrapped our staple guns (they have a hair-trigger and a lot of power, bump them wrong and you have staples stuck in the ceiling...fortunately not yet a customer, though one narrowly missed ME one day!).

We had to unhook them from the air tank before we dared try taking the shrinkwrap off....

Retail makes me sick, that's why I never want to go back! I do have to say that I have worked for some remarkable cosmetic companies that won't even re-sell an unused returned product.

I was worried I would end up appalling everyone with my post. I am glad I didn't. Thank you.

VGimlet

Shrink wrapped decks, especially rare ones, are worth more. Just like any collectible.

BUT even if I know something might be collectible someday, I am opening it. There have been a few times I've had the choice of a shrink-wrapped copy of a valuble deck, or one that wasn't sealed. I always take the "used" copy. No deck is too valuble to leave encased in a little plastic coffin, untouched by human hands. That's one of the reasons I started collecting tarot, I want a collection I can USE. That's just me.

I leave the sealed decks for "real" collectors. :D

Simsy

i open all my decks... ifi was a collector and want to resell them then yes they would be more valuable sealed and still in its wrapping, but i dont prescribe to that cos i love my decks so much i use all of them in various ways

that opition tho is subject to change in the future as my collection expands natch

Simsy

WalesWoman

SphinYote said:
Yes, and it's not just tarot....

I do know that there was no guarantee that all components of a given item were re-shrinkwrapped together before some of the employees put them back on the shelves.

Of course, one of my coworkers liked to mess around and shrinkwrap all the tools in the frameshop on quiet evenings....we were quite annoyed when he shrinkwrapped our staple guns (they have a hair-trigger and a lot of power, bump them wrong and you have staples stuck in the ceiling...fortunately not yet a customer, though one narrowly missed ME one day!).

We had to unhook them from the air tank before we dared try taking the shrinkwrap off....

hehe sounds like someone has too much time on their hands

Dusk Till Dawn

Le Fanu said:
(Touch wood...)

I've never had a deck missing a card and Ive bought over 300 - maybe 400 including oracles and back-ups. Maybe more. Only once, actually; I had a missing Justice card from my Sheridan Douglas but that was bought (opened) 2nd hand from an amazon seller.

But I think that really, tarot decks are such small business. They really are never BIG, BIG, [size=+2]BIG[/size] bucks. The extra earned from not opening them seems so small to me.

If I were given a choice between buying a "rare" deck, e.g VR Gold, opened but unused, or sealed, I'd rather buy the open and unused one.

Man. you are so lucky! When I get a Deck, I leave it on a shelf about 2 days, won't touch it, until I am brave enough to open it.
I had missing cards so many times. And it takes the fun out of a new Deck, when you open it up so fearfully, that you can hardly enjoy the images.

I keep Backup's shrinkwrapped. When I buy a shrinkwrapped Deck of a Seller, and it's missing a card, I end up E-mailing the Publisher anyway.
Often the Seller can't replace it. So, the ones that are for me, I open, and the others I leave shrinkwrapped .
Even though when I look at the Boxes ( the Shrinkwrapped Gothic is an issue, could include the Danse Macabre, I migh have to open that one) I feel like I want to open them, but with my luck, I'd rather have the other Person find out. If I ever sell, or trade them. ( I prefer trades anyway)