Are there any crystals that could help with depression?

velocitygirl

I'm going through a hard time emotionally, and would like to know if there is a crystal that might help me with that a bit.

Could you tell me of any you know? Thanks.

FantasyWorld

Kunzite has natural Lithium in it and I think a few others do as wel but I'll have to get back to you on it...

ps
from someone who also has depression:
a positive outlook as OFTEN as possible is needed
pay attention to foods to see if that helps trigger it
be around positive,happy people
look for a joy all around you where ever you are as OFTEN as possible
(example: hawks flying overhead,birds singng or putting on shows in flocks,children laughing,etc.)
try using essentials oils:maybe someone else can psot some good ones to use

Good luck and many blessings to you

Alanna

seaweed

Hi Velocitygirl,

I'm so sorry to hear about the depression and I hope with every lucky star out there that this isn't something you'll battle chronically. I know it probably doesn't help to hear this, but I've been battling depression, myself for the last 20-odd years. Here's some of what I've learned (naturally, though, I'm not a medical professional, so if things become too heavy...reach out to someone who is a professional...you probably know that whole litany, so I won't go there :)

Aromatherapy:

Depending on your own likes/dislikes you might get some relief, aromatherapy-wise, from Lavender, Chamomile, Neroli, Frankincense or Grapefruit. (The Discovery Store used to carry a Neroli/Frankincense paste perfume and, I think, The Body Shop has a line of Grapefruit/Citrus products.)

Tea-wise, there are also choices:
(organic teas seem to be the strongest)

A good, strong Chamomile

Chamomile/Lavender (also good for a nervous stomach)

Valerian (a mild, natural tranquilizer, avoid if you have a heart condition—This stuff tastes like you’ve brewed dirty sweat socks, but with enough honey it’s very, very calming.)

Or my favorite, a blend of Chamomile/Lavender/Valerian/Skullcap/Lemon Balm (There's a good one out of this blend by Republic of Tea. It’s called “Chamomile Lemon: Surrender to Sleep Tea.”)

Herbs:

Basil is supposed to contain anti-depressive properties (although I haven't found it to be more effective than the teas, but it's good in tomato soup.)

Foods:
Anything Peppermint is supposed to be a mood-lifter.

Anything else:
I've seen creative visualization therapy works pretty well, esp. when combined w/ lavender oil. It's just a matter of escaping your own head/thoughts for a few moments and slipping away to somewhere peaceful and safe and focusing hard on something else. In order for creative visualization to be successful, you have to really devote yourself to forming a full visual panorama to let yourself escape within. Most CDs that you can find are about as effective as a therapist doing the same thing, IMHO.

Music/Chanting can help occupy your mind and distract your thoughts.

Doing something physically/mentally engaging--I realize you probably don't have the energy for much right now, but it's been shown where it can work. What I've seen work most successfully (in myself and others) is either getting out in nature-- labyrinth walking with an ipod would be great, doing something artistic or watching a comedy movie, like Miss Congeniality. I know these all sound like crazy suggestions, but the idea is to distract yourself as much as possible from the loop of depressive thinking, do something that makes you feel productive, do something that's repetitive and therefore calming or trick yourself into finding something (no matter how stupid or unlikely) to laugh at. For a non-depressed person, one session of laughing really hard is enough to supply their bodies with enough seretonin and dopamine to work like an anti-depression-suit-of-armor for 1 full day.

Colors:
Supposedly scientists have tested that yellow and orange are the most effective colors for battling depression. (Although you might also want to see where Venus is in your Natal Chart for more personalized suggestions.)

Animals:
Having a pet and interacting with them positively can lower your blood pressure and increase your dopamine naturally. Hug your dog or your cat if you have one. They have heightened senses for things like depression and will usually stick close when they know you're feeling down. Watching a fish tank works, too.

Elementally:
If you're someone who really identifies with a particular element (probabally with the exception of Fire, though,) it sometimes helps to just re-charge yourself by being by that element. Earth people tend to like strolls in the woods. Water people can sometimes re-balance by being by a river or lake. This is one of the more subtle pick-me-ups, though, so I might not rely on it entirely.

Otherwise...
I've read that you can imagine your aura as an egg of either white light (for spiritual energy,) green light (healing energy,) or pink (for loving energy.) Again, this can be a long shot.

When you start getting your energy back again, random acts of kindness can help because it's a very literal way to feel appreciated. When other people thank you, it boosts your brain's happy chemicals and it makes you feel that people are sincerely glad they share the earth with you. Bake a batch of cookies or print out extra coupons for a bookstore you're going to--give them out to relative strangers (like giving the cookies to someone you know at the garden nursery or an elderly person.) At first, people won't understand why you're being so nice to them, but once they realize it's just good dumb luck and *you* made it happen...well, they can beam waves of happiness back in your direction.

I know this is a lot to digest, but I hope something might help,

Take care,

seaweed

Apollonia

Hi, VelocityGirl! I've also been battling depression for many years. What I know is that it is often the most sensitive, kind, smart, loving, and intuitive people who tend to suffer with depression.

I believe (from reading one of your previous posts) that you are quite young still, and I know that being young often means that one is relatively powerless over key issues in one's own life. Depression is often anger turned inward, because it feels too dangerous to express your rage. Also, hormones have a lot to do with our mental state, and there's a lot going on physically at your age. Speaking of which, before ingesting any herbal remedy, make sure to look it up in a reputable herbal reference book, and heed the precautions. Some of them can cause flooding during your period, and some are not safe to use long term. There are those that are safe in low doses short term, those that are safe in high doses long term, and all shades in between, so be aware that these can be effective, but must be used wisely.

Following are a few things that have helped me the most, in no particular order. Feel free to use or ignore as you will.

1) My counselor told me that Buddhists say depression is like a cloud passing over the sun. The sun hasn't left, it is just obscured. Keep in mind that this feeling will pass. Sometimes I say I have "brain flu" which keeps it in perspective. Like the flu, I feel horrible, but I know if I take care of myself and coddle myself a bit, it will pass. A hot bath helps!

2) I don't know what kinds of food additives and chemicals are sanctioned in your part of the world, but it might be a good idea to stay away from artificial sweeteners of any kind. Some, if not all, of them seem to have a depressive effect on brain chemistry.

3) Watch as many inane comedies as you can, and laugh, laugh, laugh.

4) If you are depressed for more than a couple of days, tell someone who can help you get some relief, through counseling or whatever path seems applicable. Your job now, as I see it, is to get yourself to adulthood intact in mind, body and spirit.

5)I have found that isolating myself only makes things worse. People care about me, and they want to be with me, even when I don't feel lovable or particularly entertaining. Those who love you need their regular VelocityGirl fix, and it makes them feel less desperate if you let them be with you.

6) Since you are a Tarot reader, you could well be very physically sensitive, and you may be picking up on other people's energy and problems without even knowing it. The website http://www.kyramesich.com/ is a good resource to begin with if this tends to be the case for you. In particular, she recommends the use of the Bach flower essence Yarrow.

Many blessings,
Amanda

einhverfr

Apollonia said:
2) I don't know what kinds of food additives and chemicals are sanctioned in your part of the world, but it might be a good idea to stay away from artificial sweeteners of any kind. Some, if not all, of them seem to have a depressive effect on brain chemistry.

Nutrasweet/Aspertame in particular is known to cause some issues with depression in a few people.

As for what you are going through, there are a few possibilities that might require different approaches.

Now, you said you were having a difficult time emotionally. This can mean all different things and I tend to think that it is better to be a little more precise than that when looking for a program to help.

If you are meditating, you should know that it is natural to go through a profound spiritual crisis at some point (mine was a deep spiritual darkness that lasted for a few years puncuated by moments of unearthly beauty). In this case in no event should you stop your meditations. They are necessary to carry you through the clouds to the higher realms of consciousness. I don't believe that the spiritual crisis is a form of clinical depression but rather something else that is distinct (though it can feel like the same thing sometimes). Know that this crisis doesn't last forever and it is certainly worth pursuing.

If you are feeling lazy, lethargic, not sleeping well, and just not feeling very vibrant, I would suggest bloodstone, as it is associated both with the sun and with happiness. This is especially true if these don't have an obvious source in one's environment and have been affecting you for at least a few months.

If you already have had the spiritual crisis (and you will certainly know if you have), and you are feeling disconnected spiritually, then going back to meditation (maybe on a variety of crystals you associate with your practice) will help.

If you have just had a traumatic experience or lost a loved one, I would suggest using a grounding/earthy stone, like brown jasper or schorl.

Hope this helps.

velocitygirl

Thanks heaps, all of you :) I'll take a lot of that advice into account
-considers watching Monty Python DVDs today-...

einhverfr - Yeah, I'm not that much into meditating yet, kind of doing a bit here and there. But no, no spiritual crisis yet XDD

I'm going to try and make sure today, it being Christmas eve, that I will NOT be all emo on Christmas day. And despite the fact that I'm not keen on doing so, I suppose I'd better steer clear of the alcohol, and try to have fun without being a precocious little pain who acts like she's thirty =D

wizzle

I guess I've got a totally different take from your other advisors. You are going through puberty right now which means massive hormonal changes, at the least. Spiritually, it is also what we astrologers see as the first time the planet Saturn stresses your natal horoscope.

All in all, I'd say what you are experiencing is fairly normal for your age. You are getting ready to move into a larger world mentally and your body is changing to make this change into a reality. In other words, you are moving out of childhood with it's limited view and involvement with the world.

I doubt very much that what you are feeling at the moment is a classical depression and you should NOT think that you are in any way shape or whatever abnormal. You are going through one of the most stressful periods in anyone's life, however. You don't have a lot of control over your hormonal changes, but just stay aware that they are influencing your moods. This is a great time to evaluate what you have been taught so far. Are the things you take for granted in line with where you might want to go in life? This should be a period where you can begin to dream your own dreams and not just reflect the expectations of your friends and family.

velocitygirl

I get that a lot. I don't want to sound like a pain, but I'm pretty sure I'm probably actually depressed.
I suppose I wouldn't know, but I know that I've had a lot of the syptoms of it too, annoyingly enough XD

But yeah, it's been going on for two years, and for a long time I went through a period of self-mutilation, however stupid that is. But yeah, it doesn't seem to be that normal. It's not like I wish it was different but it's just like... yeah. I dunno. You may well be right.

einhverfr

velocitygirl said:
Thanks heaps, all of you :) I'll take a lot of that advice into account
-considers watching Monty Python DVDs today-...

einhverfr - Yeah, I'm not that much into meditating yet, kind of doing a bit here and there. But no, no spiritual crisis yet XDD

I'm going to try and make sure today, it being Christmas eve, that I will NOT be all emo on Christmas day. And despite the fact that I'm not keen on doing so, I suppose I'd better steer clear of the alcohol, and try to have fun without being a precocious little pain who acts like she's thirty =D

This response suggests that you might find the grounding solutions helpful. Ideally something like brown jasper, schorl (black tourmaline), etc. As for herbs associated with grounding and lightening of the mood, I would suggest dandelion root (Saturnian/Solar). Add a little honey if you like and make into a bittersweet tea.

Here is another excersize I would suggest. It is best done outdoors. Stand outdoors (I like to face north, but I don't think the direction makes much difference). Breath in slowly counting heartbeats (I count to 9, but many people find that 5 is a good number). As you breath in, feel the energy of the earth entering you and providing stability. Hold your breath for a couple of heartbeats. Then as you exhale, feel the turmoil leave with the energy from the earth. I prefer 9 counts in, 3 holding in, 9 counts out, 3 holding out, but 5-2-5-2 works better for those who don't have much breath control yet. The same can be done with the stones I mentioned above.

In the end, we all have times in our lives when we go through turmoil, and I suppose we males have it easier in this regard. I myself am going through a tough time (in my case, i think it is mostly that I haven't kept my spiritual health up). The most important thing to remember (if you forget all else) is that you can continue to make it through whatever the universe throws at you. Unconditional faith in oneself is the most important thing to remember.

As a final thought, it being the Yuletide.... The Christmas Tree is a useful symbol to think about. We usually use evergreen trees because they are green in the winter. As the Indo-Europeans (generally) saw a metaphorical connection between the tree and the self (think Kundalini wrapped around the base of the tree, Yggdrassil as being a metaphore for the human condition, etc), this is also a metaphore for the immortality of the soul and the fact that life goes on even in the most bleak frozen time of winter. That the new spring will come.

velocitygirl

That's a great idea... will do, definitely. Mm, it would probably best that I go down the street to the empty little beach/bush reserve to do it... so my rather large family do not manage to see me looking like a moron. XD

Thanks heaps.