are there psychic detectives using tarot

MandMaud

I'm sure the word of any "alternative practitioner" (for want of a better term) would never be accepted in court. But when the police have to choose what to put their time and money into, it may help them follow one lead today and leave another for tomorrow.

I don't know of any specific cases, but it's always been said that sometimes a psychic is consulted when they want to know where a body, or a haul, is hidden (for example).

Maybe it depends on the police force, or rather the individual making the decisions? They wouldn't want the tabloid press to get hold of something like that, so we'll probably never find out either way. I find it easier to believe in an individual detective, with a fair amount of personal freedom how s/he approaches each investigation, going to psychics or tarot readers (or praying for guidance, for that matter), than in a whole department making suchlike a matter of policy.

MandMaud

PS. I completely agree about needing to move from cold reason towards a more intuitive way. Not instead, but as well. I do think society's moving that way, actually. The balance has been tipped too far one way for a long time.

There are also studies (can't cite them, but I have read some) about having hunches and how most of our "logical" decisions and beliefs are in fact emotional and instinctive. :)

Laurelle

PS. I completely agree about needing to move from cold reason towards a more intuitive way. Not instead, but as well. I do think society's moving that way, actually. The balance has been tipped too far one way for a long time.

There are also studies (can't cite them, but I have read some) about having hunches and how most of our "logical" decisions and beliefs are in fact emotional and instinctive. :)

I am glad there are those studies. :)

MissNine

I don't know of any specific cases, but it's always been said that sometimes a psychic is consulted when they want to know where a body, or a haul, is hidden (for example).

Maybe it depends on the police force, or rather the individual making the decisions?

Locating evidence and using it a criminal case to convict a defendant all must follow the rules of evidence.
I think it's true society as a whole needs to become more loving and respectful of others and the planet. However, the justice system, at least in the US, has specific safeguards in place in order to keep bias and personal feelings out of a courtroom.

In this way, I can understand why tarot is not a credible avenue by which to obtain evidence to convict someone for a crime. I wouldn't want a jury relying on a tarot card reading to decide if I committed a crime. I don't want a tarot card reading to be enough to provide the probable cause for police to get a warrant to search my home. If that were possible, what kind if standard would be used to decide a credible card reader police can rely on? It gets dicey.

As far as actual cases in which readers were helpful in court...no tarot readers, but there has been one case in US criminal justice in which a psychic from California, Rosemarie Kerr, was found credible enough to be a witness and testify in court. Maybe this is the show you were referring to in your OP? Kerr's testimony helped to convict two individuals in Louisiana of murdering a man. I believe the case is covered in episode 2 of Psychic Detectives, which is currently on Netflix. The show explains that this is the only case to date in which a psychic has testified in a courtroom as a credible witness, and helped to convict the defendants. Kerr did not use cards.
It's a really impressive case.

lucid_dawn

I think you guys might be on to a new cop drama where the protagonist psychic reads the cards to help channel the visions to solve the crime.

Grizabella

During my civilian service I knew an old lady who was a psychic. She would talk with animals, spirits, the dearly departed and so on. She claimed that with her gift, she had helped the police in her younger days. She didn't mention using Tarot or something like that, though...

My colleagues all thought she was crazy. I'm not so sure...

Read Dean Radin's books. Very very enlightening about this kind of stuff. People aren't crazy but they've been conditioned to think negatively that anything they can't feel with their bodies, see with their eyes or taste is bunk.

Thanks everyone. Though I am not sure whether there are real good tarotists nowadays.

Hello? :bugeyed: :p

The police deal with a very, very logical frame work. They don't go with "feelings" or intuition. In fact, if you did come to the police with a "feeling" and told them you were psychic there is a strong possibility that they would put you in a suspect list. I know this because it happened to me....They suddenly wanted to know how I knew things and how I knew this and that .....

Yeah, good point. I'm sure they would definitely wonder. lol Awkward, huh?

I'm a true crime buff so I read a lot of stuff and watch a lot of documentaries about that. There have been lots of instances where, if a psychic contacted the police and the detectives were really stymied, they've at least checked out what the psychic told them. And there was a TV show where psychics helped the police, but I think it centered more on where bodies were located. It was one of those reality shows. I never watched it much, but I think I got the gist of it.

I think in the 90% of our brains that we don't know how to access purposely, there are a lot of abilities that we don't know how to use at will. I suspect that the reason is that we're either not meant to be able to or else we don't know how to heed it or maybe both. I think some are born with a more keen ability than others and that most of us, if we give ourselves to it, can learn to listen to that part more.

Smiling

@ Disa on this thread -

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=211731&page=4A

mentioned this book "A Mind for Murder" by psychic detective Noreen Renier, and I recently finished the kindle book (thank you, Disa!) It was an interesting, although creepy, read! Ms. Renier documents case after case, a lot in the 80's, where she helped the police solve cases, and it's filled with lots of footnotes that show documentation that verifies her work.

She did over and over again state that the police she worked with were usually very skeptical, and came to her when they had exhausted other leads. By the end of each case, they usually became supporters of her work and would recommend her to other police departments needing help.

No mention of tarot though! She talks about going into a trance state to tune in to each case.

gregory

This "feels" :D like exactly it. I believe very much that psychics can help the police, and I actually wish they were used more often; I think they could save a lot of time - but NOT with tarot cards; POSSIBLY with Lennies, but not Tarot. They are just not specific enough, I think.

danieljuk

last year there was quite a critical report in the UK about using psychics and mediums for detective work or for leads in crimes. It showed that often it wasted money and time and in some famous crimes, it had sent investigations in the wrong direction with false leads! Statistically the outcomes were worse than not using them. However the Royal College of Policing issued a response saying that psychics and mediums should be taken into account. There is an article exploring both sides here

They don't mention the tools used sadly just that it's psychics and mediums. But bringing it back to AT, we have had threads where people have used Tarot to find things and someone posts a card and people discuss it. It is fascinating the number of ways you can look at a card and get many different locations or crime clues from it! But I do think people using their intuitive feeling in the divination "missing item" threads seems to get more specific than the tarot! However we have found people's stuff sometimes on AT using tarot, oracles and just intuition, scrying and other methods! I am not sure what our success rate overall is though :p

Smiling

last year there was quite a critical report in the UK about using psychics and mediums for detective work or for leads in crimes. It showed that often it wasted money and time and in some famous crimes, it had sent investigations in the wrong direction with false leads! Statistically the outcomes were worse than not using them. However the Royal College of Policing issued a response saying that psychics and mediums should be taken into account. There is an article exploring both sides here

It's true that there are a lot of frauds out there, and it's something that Renier addresses in her book. In one of the chapters, she talks about someone she comes across who made a living claiming to be psychic, but was really using magic tricks and cold reading techniques to trick people, and was really brazen with her in admitting it and showing how he did it.

It's too bad, but unfortunately a sad fact that there are 'psychic' con artists out there who take advantage of trusting, sometimes gullible, people.