Are you focussed on one aspect of Tarot, or a jack/jill of all trades?

euripides

Tarot is something I keep coming back to but it's always a bit of a 'guilty pleasure' given the number of time-consuming activities I'm committed to. I've been trying to 'unclutter' my hobbies - knitting is reduced to just one box of yarn (no collecting a stash!) and music just one instrument. Gaming, only one online game with one character - no playing dozens of 'alts'.

Tarot is a bit tricky because there's so much within it - different decks, artwork, approaches. But it ties in really well with my love of symbolism.

Has this been a problem for you? Or is Tarot a major focus of your life that you can allow it to 'take over' somewhat?

I find at the moment when I want to 'do Tarot' I end up with a dozen decks and books out - it's a major production! I'm leaning toward the idea of focusing on Historical decks and putting away my modern decks for a while.

nisaba

I enjoy collecting, buying, talking about, reading with, thinking about. With readings, I enjoy mundane real-world readings, intellectual readings and spiritual readings.

I can't think of an aspect of Tarot I don't enjoy. I suppose I'm a Jill of All trades, although I have undoubtedly better skills in some areas than others.

Moonbow

I'm probably in a similar situation in that I settle down to spend some time studying Tarot and invariably run out of time before I seem to have got very far. Researching this forum and other sites just following one trail can take ages and then work or other things get in the way before I can get back to it.

I follow historical decks mainly and have an interest in playing cards too. I'm more a gatherer of information about historical decks so spend a lot of time reading the internet and books. So that makes me focussed on historical decks, but still feeling a bit of Jill because I don't focus on one area of history, I get side-tracked.

Libra8ca

I'm focused on modern RWS style cards as well as having some interest in oracles and playing cards. My main goal is to improve my card-reading skills and intuition as much as I can.
Lack of time is an issue as I currently have about 20 books on other paranormal subjects that I want to read :bugeyed:

turtlebite

I can't keep stashes either because I have too many hobbies. I've noticed they tend to go in cycles like I'll be really into sewing for a few months then move onto soap..

With tarot I make myself focus on only one deck at a time and only pull out something else out for a special reading. Decks are the easy part for me, books are the hard part. I'm currently reading Tarot Journaling, Understanding the Tarot Court and trying to keep myself from diving into Tarot Magic as well. Plus, I never finished 21 ways to read a Tarot card, maybe I should have another look at that one as well. And what about the Thoth? Feeling the urge to learn more about that lately, almost like I'm handicapped only knowing RWS.

I sometimes do get that saying in my head when I think about all the things I like to do. I'm a jack of all trades, master of none.

Le Fanu

Been thinking about this too of late...

Tarot is such a major part of my life. I'm beginning to think I should step down a a little and give myself time for other things; do more sport, buy fewer decks, go back to reading novels and not just tarot related books.

But it's tough!

I envy these people who pack 98% of their decks away in a box and just have a few out that they work with. There are decks that I love but every now and then, one which I haven't thought of in months and months springs to mind and I really want to get it out. I think; if I have an extensive library of decks, it would be wrong to deny myself the luxury of enjoying them.

The focus has definitely narrowed over the last year or so. But sometimes it's Thoth I want to read about & with, then only MRP decks, then only RWS in all its editions, then something which requires no external reading whatsoever and I can just lay out on the table and READ. Or something fluffy (Paulina), or something Pagan or Oracle-y.

I feel myself on the verge of a seismic shift of my tarot orientation and what it means to me, the place it has / should have in my life. Something is definitely happening. In answer to the question, however, I'd say I'm a jack of all trades (but - no - not master of none!) and the focus would be - of course - collecting, but also the artwork & editions.

poivre

~ guilty pleasure! :)

I try to concentrate on Tarot then I end up looking at Astrology,
then the year 2010 then...I need a new deck but don't read with it
because I go back to old faithful...then Saturn moves to Libra,
got to check that out...
it goes on and on...
my intentions of Tarot are good, just my focus is all
over the place! :eek: :D

alesia

My experience as such is mostly with the Rider-Waite family, but I am trying to branch out - just got the Liber T, and the Ancient Italian is coming in the mail. I am definitely approaching the tarot from a hermetic angle, but I want to learn other approaches as well, as the more tools I find I have available, the more I can accomplish with them. Meanwhile, reading and meditating on the tarot is an integral part of my daily ritual work.

I have a little focus, but get sidetracked often. :)

Silver Crow

I guess a Jill of all trades. I have at least six decks on my reading table at any given time, books everywhere, all the time, runes ready to pull, pendulum for yes and no's. I do it all the best I can, if I really had to focus on one deck only with nothing else, I would become bored and complacent and just give up. I need variety and stimulation to keep the spark going.

bonnycat

I am a Jill of all trades and tend to go from one thing to the next. A couple of years ago tarot over took my life so I put it way to focus on other things but it never really went very far from my life I tend to have a deck close at hand. My plan was to just stop reading for others and about tarot. However I feel the cycle is back and I want to focus more on it again