As much Thoth as a person could get in one book?

Stark Raven

I am trying to figure the Thoth Tarot deck out. I want my second book on Thoth to be more comprehensive than the first one I bought. I have the book 'Mirror of the Soul' by Gerd Ziegler. But I would prefer something chock full of all of the secrets held within the Thoth deck. Hopefully in one or two books. Please tell me your first choice for a comprehensive book on Thoth.

I have plenty of Tarot experience, but none with the Thoth deck.

Zephyros

Personally I don't really like Ziegler, and didn't find his book to be of much use. I have his book "Mirror of your relationships" (found it in a bargain bin) which is even worse than the other one.

The going recommendation is Lon Milo DuQuette's Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot which is a wonderful introduction. Be warned though, that if you're looking for "secrets," it is an introduction only, and you will (hopefully) reach a stage where it will be limited. However, as an introduction, to get you in the door, there is no better book. It towers high above any other introductory texts.

You might also want to check out DuQuette's The Chicken Qabalah of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford. Qabalah is the backbone of the Thoth (all Golden Dawn decks, for that matter) and in my opinion this book is just as important as his Thoth book. It will noticeably open the Thoth to you dramatically, really. It is a very friendly and personable book, explaining the basics of Qabalah in a completely un-threatening and approachable way. DuQuette is very, very good at making the obtuse digestible.

Apart from those, the real secrets are in Aleister Crowley's own Book of Thoth. It is free to download. However, it is a difficult book, and I couldn't make heads or tails of it before studying the two books I recommended above. Get those two, download the Book of Thoth and you will have practically all you need for many years of happy study.

Richard

I am trying to figure the Thoth Tarot deck out. I want my second book on Thoth to be more comprehensive than the first one I bought. I have the book 'Mirror of the Soul' by Gerd Ziegler. But I would prefer something chock full of all of the secrets held within the Thoth deck. Hopefully in one or two books. Please tell me your first choice for a comprehensive book on Thoth.

Forget Ziegler. There is no substitute: The Book of Thoth by Aleister Crowley is an absolute must. The DuQuette books mentioned by closrapexa will supply some of the background material if you need it. For the "secrets held within the Thoth deck," consider reading Crowley's The Book of the Law.

Ipseity

Book of Thoth by Aleister Crowley. Reading it is like fighting in the trenches during World War I, with a gas mask and stuff, except the gas mask is broken, and you're getting progressive nerve damage and shell shock, but you're happy because you're making the world a safer place for democracy.

Zephyros

Forget Ziegler. There is no substitute: The Book of Thoth by Aleister Crowley is an absolute must. The DuQuette books mentioned by closrapexa will supply some of the background material if you need it. For the "secrets held within the Thoth deck," consider reading Crowley's The Book of the Law.

True. I always fall in that pit because I don't consider the Book of Thoth introductory. It is the real deal, it goes with the deck and can be as impenetrable. Same goes for the Book of Law. I doubt I would have made much headway with either if it hadn't been for other books that, at the very least, made clear what I didn't know and gave hints as to the direction in which to proceed.

Richard

book of thoth by aleister crowley. Reading it is like fighting in the trenches during world war i, with a gas mask and stuff, except the gas mask is broken, and you're getting progressive nerve damage and shell shock, but you're happy because you're making the world a safer place for democracy.
As the Brits say: Keep a stiff upper lip. LOL!

gregory

Ziegler is dire.

Book of Thoth is the BIZ (and free on line :D) - but if you aren't up to it, Banzhaf or Snuffin will help you ease in. DuQuette isn't quite as gentle, but any or all of these knock the pants off Ziegler. Ugh.

Stark Raven

Ziegler is dire.

Book of Thoth is the BIZ (and free on line :D) - but if you aren't up to it, Banzhaf or Snuffin will help you ease in. DuQuette isn't quite as gentle, but any or all of these knock the pants off Ziegler. Ugh.

Lol, at least one person has misunderstood me, I felt the book by Ziegler was trash. I was trying to be kind by saying that I was simply looking for something else. No, I wouldn't be looking for anything else akin to the Gerd Ziegler book.

Thanks to all that offered their insight so far. I prefer to jump into the deep end. I usually end up getting bored fast with simple explanations.

gregory

Lol, at least one person has misunderstood me, I felt the book by Ziegler was trash. I was trying to be kind by saying that I was simply looking for something else. No, I wouldn't be looking for anything else akin to the Gerd Ziegler book.

Thanks to all that offered their insight so far. I prefer to jump into the deep end. I usually end up getting bored fast with simple explanations.
I'd hate anyone to see your politeness as an endorsement, is all...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEK and that !

Well, the deep end is definitely the source code - and at least it's online for no moneys ! I can't say it's easy - that's why I decided to do the deck for the 78card thing. I am FINALLY getting there.

I think.

Superficially...

Richard

......I want my second book on Thoth to be more comprehensive than the first one I bought. I have the book 'Mirror of the Soul' by Gerd Ziegler.......

Lol, at least one person has misunderstood me, I felt the book by Ziegler was trash. I was trying to be kind by saying that I was simply looking for something else. No, I wouldn't be looking for anything else akin to the Gerd Ziegler book.......
How on earth could anyone have misunderstood your first post? It merely stated that the Ziegler book was not sufficiently comprehensive. There was no hint whatsoever that you had a negative opinion of it. It therefore would be extremely interesting to hear about your reaction to The Book of Thoth, if you decide to take that ominous plunge. :) In any event, good luck.