asking cards same question more than once

psychedelicprincess

I've just recently started doing spreads and I don't always make the best spreads.
I asked my cards a question: "why is he ignoring me"
and assigned positions to te three cards I pulled.
#1. his feelings towards me
#2. advice for me
#3. outcome

pretty terrible spread considering I was trying to gain insight on why he's ignoring me but hey, we were all beginners once lol.
so my question is, can I ask the cards the same question again and use a different spread?

dancing_moon

For a 'why' question I usually pull 1 to 3 cards and have them answer the question directly, without any additional positions.

If you feel your previous spread hasn't answered your actual question, go ahead and do another one. However, when you have a simple question, it's often best to just ask it and get a straightforward answer.

Good luck! :)

Grizabella

There are a lot of things you'll find here and concerning Tarot in general that you may, if you're new, think are hard and fast rules in using the cards. But what they are is people's opinions and you know what they say about opinions. ;)

There are no hard and fast rules in actuality, except that you be an honest reader who isn't scamming people with the cards. Ask what you will when you will. If you're asking questions too many times, you'll confuse yourself and you'll naturally stop doing it. Just because you see a post by an experienced reader saying something doesn't make it iron clad. It's just their own opinion and they're sharing it. It's what they've learned that works for them.

ETA: I'm not referring to anyone who posted before me, by the way. Just wanted to make that clear. We're all free to share what works for us. :)

DavidMcCann

Five minutes ago, I posted this answer to some-one else (a nice example of synchronicity):

In the Yi Jing, the 4th hexagram says "I do not seek the ignorant youth, but the ignorant youth seeks me. The first time he seeks advice, I shall answer. If he asks repeatedly, he is impertinent and I shall not answer." Never repeat a divination unless there has been a change of circumstances.

psychedelicprincess

Five minutes ago, I posted this answer to some-one else (a nice example of synchronicity):

In the Yi Jing, the 4th hexagram says "I do not seek the ignorant youth, but the ignorant youth seeks me. The first time he seeks advice, I shall answer. If he asks repeatedly, he is impertinent and I shall not answer." Never repeat a divination unless there has been a change of circumstances.

I completely agree with you that the cards should not be consulted ceaselessly on the same matter, unless the circumstances have changed.
My question, rather, is that I am new at tarot and I used a very haphazard spread ( I made one up, didn't really feel confident in it) to answer a question. As a result, it was hard to interpret the cards.

Is it okay to ask this same question again using a clear and organized spread?

psychedelicprincess

For a 'why' question I usually pull 1 to 3 cards and have them answer the question directly, without any additional positions.

If you feel your previous spread hasn't answered your actual question, go ahead and do another one. However, when you have a simple question, it's often best to just ask it and get a straightforward answer.

Good luck! :)

I think next time I ask a 'why' question I won't use any card positions. I'll just try to read the cards as a whole. Which brings me to my next question for you. When reading cards without positions do you read them left to right? or...?

psychedelicprincess

There are a lot of things you'll find here and concerning Tarot in general that you may, if you're new, think are hard and fast rules in using the cards. But what they are is people's opinions and you know what they say about opinions. ;)

There are no hard and fast rules in actuality, except that you be an honest reader who isn't scamming people with the cards. Ask what you will when you will. If you're asking questions too many times, you'll confuse yourself and you'll naturally stop doing it. Just because you see a post by an experienced reader saying something doesn't make it iron clad. It's just their own opinion and they're sharing it. It's what they've learned that works for them.

ETA: I'm not referring to anyone who posted before me, by the way. Just wanted to make that clear. We're all free to share what works for us. :)

Haha yes, I just mentioned that line about everyone having an opinion the other day to my friend.
Thanks for yours. :)

dancing_moon

I think next time I ask a 'why' question I won't use any card positions. I'll just try to read the cards as a whole. Which brings me to my next question for you. When reading cards without positions do you read them left to right? or...?

It's usually left to right, but sometimes center to sides. I usually let the pictures guide me. Sometimes the cards clearly show two people and their interaction, sometimes one person, sometimes just circumstances. I guess you need to try and see for yourself.

Scibility

Say that again?

David, :) this is so true with the iching, and when it happens, it always makes me laugh!

psychedelicprincess, maybe try pulling one clarifying card? But remember that the clarifying card is not telling you more per se, it should be telling you the "same thing", just in another way. So it can offer you the opportunity to look for a common thread between the card you pulled previously, and the actual clarifier itself. Hope that makes sense. Best of Luck!

nisaba

I've just recently started doing spreads and I don't always make the best spreads.
I asked my cards a question: "why is he ignoring me"
and assigned positions to te three cards I pulled.
#1. his feelings towards me
#2. advice for me
#3. outcome

<smile> Try something like these:

Two cards for: What is it inside me that makes me feel like this?

Two cards for: What can I do about these feelings?

One card for the link between us.

One card for progression into the future.

Make the reading about YOU - it's your feelings you're trying to deal with.