Astrological Symbolism

Minderwiz

I've attached a chart taken from Geoffrey Cornelius' book 'The Moment of Astrology' The chart relates to a couple of incidents (an event chart) that two separate groups of his students experienced on the same day at virtually the same time.

Given that a conjunction of Mercury and the Sun occurred on that day, Cornelius cast a chart for the time of the conjunction and at the groups location. The two incidents occurred within 10 minutes of the conjunction.

My original intention was to give Cornelius' description of the event and his interpretation of the chart using modern rulerships and then give my own interpretation using traditional rulerships and invite comments.

However, Cornelius says that he has used the chart under 'blind' conditions with other Astrologers, to see what they see as the main features of the chart, so here's a bit of a challenge - Take a look at the chart and say what you think the main features are and what, if any, symbolism you see in it. Once we've got a provisional feeling for the chart we'll take a look at Cornelius' description of the events and his interpretation.

One of the events is reasonably well symbolised, Cornelius says he has struggled to find the symbolism of the second. So if you can see one major symbolism, that's all you need bother with.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 144

Minderwiz

Clue

Look at where the conjunction is placed in the chart and the position of the sign (and house) ruler. The two houses carry some of the symbolism and so does the sign of the conjunction and the sign of the ruler adds a litle more.

BlueFox

No.. not times, its not in an order to be times, what are those Numbers beside everything?

Minderwiz

BlueFox said:
No.. not times, its not in an order to be times, what are those Numbers beside everything?

The numbers are the positions by degree and minutes of the planets, house cusps, nodes and part of fortune.

Cornelius reckons that this chart not only symbolises the literal event witnessed but also BOTH event and chart carry much deeper religious symbolism.

Edited to add

The Sun/Mercury conjunction is simply an indicator of where to look for the symbolism, though one might interpret it as the Sun sending a message (Cornelius doesn't actually attribute any specific meaning to the conjunction but takes it's position in the chart as providing the symbolism)

BlueFox

I get nothing, I also don't have my book, or any reference materials, though I'll be following this with great interest.

Minderwiz

The Event

OK, No takers, on the 'blind' test. I'm not surprised as I was trying to test Cornelius' claim that the symbolism was so obvious that it could be seen with only the prompt to look at the ninth house.

So I'll revert to my original intention and post Cornelius' account of the 'main event' and then post his interpretation (including the 'religious significance) tomorrow. The aim now is to take up a theme - Do the outer planets enhance our ability to interpret a chart?

The event occured on a weekend gathering to look at issues of appearance, reality and illusion. On the Saturday afternoon the members split into two groups for walks along the coast. The first group (accompanied by Cornelius) went along the shore line and at one point they saw a dead sheep, on the rocks below the cliff. The cause of death was not apparent but, by the way the sheep was jammed in the rocks, the group felt that it had got caught in the rocks and then drowned as the tide came in. That 'appeared' to be the manner of death, whatever the reality.

They timed the observation and it was just 4 minutes after the Sun/Mercury conjunction. The group was not simply Astrologers, but also included parapsychologists, mythologists, I Ching, and various New Age students.

Cornelius said that there is not only the literal event shown in the chart but also the the event and the chart symbolised the 'sacrificial lamb'.

I'll give his explanation tomorrow. In the meantime if there are any queries or observations I'd welcome them. If any one can't see the symbolism please say so because I'm by no means convinced that it is as 'easy' as Cornelius claims.

BlueFox

what are the upward and downward horseshoes supposed to be? my book doesen't have them in the planet listings. (copied the symbols used in the book for reference) neither of them associate with planets in the book's symbols.

Bernice

BlueFox said:
what are the upward and downward horseshoes supposed to be? my book doesen't have them in the planet listings. (copied the symbols used in the book for reference) neither of them associate with planets in the book's symbols.
The Moons Nodes. North Node 17.Virgo.25, the other one (opposite) is the South Node.

Bee :)

Minderwiz

Quite a few Astrologers associate the nodes with the spiritual journey we face in life. The South Node (horseshoe with open end at top) showing what we bring into life and the North Node (horseshoe with open end at bottom) showing where we should aspire to go.

This has been linked in to past lives and reincarnation by several authors.

PS Anybody see a dead sheep in the chart?

sapienza

Interesting thread. Now that you have explained the situation I guess I can 'see' the dead (8th house/Mars), drowned (Pisces) sheep (Aries) and how it might have religious significance (9th House). I certainly didn't 'see' it until I read the explanation though. Not what I'd call clear. I'm quite a novice though so maybe I'm right off track. Would you look at the ruler of the 7th House at all? Jupiter in the 12th?