At what point in your journey did you learn to really trust in the cards?

trisheart

And in your own intuition?
I am a great believer in following intuition/guides and seldom have a problem with this with other people. I tend to get stuck if I am reading for someone I know really well or for myself. I doubt what I see in front of me and start to think I am simply reading my own known history into anything. It's not the cards I don't trust it's ME.
I would love to hear other's views on how to overcome this - how long it took - if it was ever a problem etc.

MysticHope

I completely agree with you and understand where your coming from. Sometimes i read for a close friend or family member and come to realize that I'm putting my own 2 cents in without fully realizing it until the end of the reading. So, now i do one of two things 1.) Concentrate on the basic meaning of the cards and interpret them at face value, vaguely and objectively for that matter. or 2.) don't read for them at all because sometimes it's difficult for me to do the first.

As for my personal intuition... i only trust it when it concerns me directly.

Good luck.

Steph

Sinduction

On my very first reading for someone else!

Of course, at the time I thought I was pulling it out of my you-know-what. My friend asked for a reading and I pulled 4 cards. I told him a woman had a secret about a man and she would tell him soon. He called me a few days later to tell me about what his mother had just told him about his grandfather.

I was surprised then, and still am today, but that was the moment I trusted my cards. It's also the only reading I've ever done that I remember.

I try to keep myself out of it. I don't think the message comes from me. It is in the cards, it's my job to properly decipher it and pass it along. As long as I can keep my ego out of it, I'm ok.

In all honesty, I do what a popular tv psychic did, though I'm ashamed to put it that way. He explained that the spirits on the other side would show him something, let's say an apple, so the message had to do with what an apple meant to him, not to the person he was relaying the message to. And I see it like that. Certain cards mean something to me and that is why they come up. It makes a lot of sense if you look at it as the cards are trying the simplest way to pass on the message. It isn't what the card means to your sitter, they don't know what the cards mean.

If that makes any sense at all... :D

MysticHope

Sinduction said:
In all honesty, I do what a popular tv psychic did, though I'm ashamed to put it that way. He explained that the spirits on the other side would show him something, let's say an apple, so the message had to do with what an apple meant to him, not to the person he was relaying the message to. And I see it like that. Certain cards mean something to me and that is why they come up. It makes a lot of sense if you look at it as the cards are trying the simplest way to pass on the message. It isn't what the card means to your sitter, they don't know what the cards mean.

If that makes any sense at all... :D

that actually makes a lot of sense. to each their own, right?

trisheart

I hear you Steph, but somehow just reading the cards at complete face value never feels quite right for me- in some ways it does but it feels stilted - if that makes sense.

Sinduction - makes perfect sense and as it should be

motsa

In all honesty, I do what a popular tv psychic did, though I'm ashamed to put it that way
I can guess what psychic you're talking about. ;) Whatever else anyone might think of him, he made some pretty sensible comments and that was one that always stuck with me.

Thenameis

I think intuition is the capacity of listening to yourself, to your feelings and to learn to follow their counsel (which is not that evident at first especially when we are told that logic is always the best advisor).Know yourself! A tarot reading is an interaction were a person try to convey the best information and the querant is trying to receive it. Personally, I learned that it did not matter so much what I was saying but what the querant was hearing and this I have absolutely no control over. Often, people will come back to me a few months after a reading and they will tell me how amazing it was because of x,y,z which was not in my mind the highlight of the reading. When I read for others, I try to put myself in a position of speaking and feeling the truth and when I speak, my highest objective is always to empower the querant. The rest is not up to me.

It reminds me of a story in greck's mythology where a person is gifted with foresight but cursed that no one would listen to her. Hmm..

Thenameis

Vadella

I had been hearing things come into my head for a while as I turned the cards but wouldn't say anything. Until one day I was offering readings to artists on my list over at Deviantart. I decided just to go with it and tell them what I was hearing. The very first person told me I was right on and that what I said his ex had said to him as he was leaving. So it was pretty cool. From there on that's what I do.

xx
Vad

schmedrake

Tris, I've been reading for over 20 years and I still have doubts from time to time.

That said, it took me a long time and I can't even locate a time when it happened because it happened so gradually. For years, I went by my memorized book meanings because I didn't even know intuition played a part. Then when my mind opened up to that, intuition gradually seeped in and I gradually earned my confidence.

Certainly over the past 10 years or so, I've made great strides. That has been helped a lot by finding a strong tarot community, dedicating myself to my psychic development outside of tarot, and also by giving professional readings. Today I'm pretty confident, but like I said, still have my moments.

frelkins

Don't trust the cards - they are just paper and ink. Trust yourself. If you have problems with this, consider starting a regular yoga practice. I know it sounds odd, but really, you will find that it helps quickly - within just 4 to 6 months.