ATC Tarot Deck LWB - discussion thread

April

It's finally finished! It took a while, there were some hurdles, but we did it and we did it darn good! Visitors can see some of the coming together of our latest ATC (artist trading cards) deck here: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=97009

Most of us now have our copy of our deck or will have it very soon, so here is the place to discuss it. Tell us about your creative process, how your card(s) came about. Did it come easy for you or did you struggle? Why did you use the colors, symbols, etc. that you did? This thread will stand as our little white booklet for our deck, so what do you want your fellow artists to know about your card(s)? Also, if you have any questions about anyone else's cards this is the place to ask them.

I've added pics below (thanks Gregory!) for visitors. I'm only allowed to put 5 pics per post so majors in this post and minors in the one right underneath. The pics are designed to avoid any stealing so feel free to post pics of your own cards (only!) if you want to disuss any details that might be lost in these pics.

Special thanks to Alta, Gregory, and Colly34 for insight and support when we needed it and rebecca-smiles for the original kick-off and all of the artists who contributed. And extra special thanks to DraagonStorm for doing all the manual labor and for putting up with all of our hooey.

Attachments

• majors 1.jpg
    majors 1.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 149
  • majors 2.jpg
    majors 2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 127

April

And here are the minors...

Attachments

• wands.jpg
    wands.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 117
  • cups.jpg
    cups.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 112
  • swords.jpg
    swords.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 108
  • coins.jpg
    coins.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 100

blackroseivy

Heyhey, looks like I hit this thread 1st! :D

Ok, 1 entry per card then, see below:

(sorry extra post :p )

blackroseivy

I did 3 majors, which I will post about in order (natch! ;) ).

The Star:

I am interested in doing an entire deck that will be a hand-painted 1-off; these images are foreshadowings, though not precisely exact to every detail, of what I plan on doing with the full-size cards.

The Star concept I have in my head is based upon the oldest images, with The Star above an on-looking female figure. This figure either was holding the Star up, or as in the Cary-Yale, gazing upon it in a kind of rapture. I chose the latter tradition as being more to my own idea; but The Star is somehow still "supported" by her will, by her own force, without direct contact with the Star itself. Many of my images involve an invisible force that radiates from the figures.

I based my celestial images upon ones in the collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art - they are fine with a deck not for sale, I even wrote about it because I am interested in using these images in my own decks.

They are adapted from a stained-glass window of the late 14th century, from a castle chapel in Germany.

They are painted in egg tempera in the traditional manner on a background of 23-kt gold. There was an unexpected effect in these cards - a kind of what they call "craquelure", which is the top layer showing cracks that reveal what is underneath. I think that it makes the originals look ancient & genuine.

This card is the "Card of Hope" to me - the Star that follows the complete destruction of The Tower; it is something to follow into the future, if uncertain - still positive in many ways for the querent.

Attachments

• n1610771696_30152366_6776.jpg
    n1610771696_30152366_6776.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 117

blackroseivy

The Moon

Again, adapted from a 14th-c. window from a castle in Germany.

This one varies from my more preferred concepts that follow the earlier traditions of the images more closely. Rather, it has a RWS-style background, with the 2 towers & the Moon shining above a baying dog & wolf, with water between, reflecting the Moon & the stars surrounding it. The same techniques - egg-tempera over gold - was used.

This one is about instincts prevailing to me; not seeing the way ahead very clearly, possible treachery but more like a gentle warning than an outright alarm.

Attachments

• n1610771696_30152365_6482.jpg
    n1610771696_30152365_6482.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 116

blackroseivy

The Sun

This one speaks to me of rewards after a difficult period; but it is a mere soujourn, rather than the end of the journey. More trials lie ahead - but one is far more prepared by this point than earlier on.

The 2 figures, again, radiate a force that "holds" the sun invisibly - they are a part of it without being directly in contact with it.

I enjoy making images that look like they have already been around for centuries - I hope that this is what is conveyed to the viewer by them.

Attachments

• n1610771696_30152367_7074.jpg
    n1610771696_30152367_7074.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 102

blackroseivy

2 of Cups

This one is based upon RWS, but also ideas from images of the 15th-c. period. I tried to make it like an illustrated 2 of Cups might have looked - & as I say, looking at period images to make it more genuine.

The flower that grows between their meeting cups is a Tudor rose, which is the red rose of passion. It is crowned by a golden crown.

As per the Major card, "The Lovers", they appear underneath a marriage awning.

My technique is the same for all cards: egg tempera over 23-kt gold.

I find this to be the blooming of a new romance - with a lot of physical chemistry involved, on the everyday level.

(P.S. - I will be adding watermarks VERY soon to these!)

Attachments

• n1610771696_30152368_7367.jpg
    n1610771696_30152368_7367.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 103

sacredashes

blackroseivy said:
(P.S. - I will be adding watermarks VERY soon to these!)

Good idea... ;)

I like the rich, bright colors, they add a feel of jubilace to the cards. Haven't got my deck yet but they will get here soon. My husband's friend from LA has confirmed he got them in the post.. can't wait to see them.

Ash

gregory

OK. Hermit. Photo collage. I like photo collage; I can do it !

It was originally for another deck, but another card won the slot, and when we had a Hermit shortage here, I offered it up.

Someone said he looks like Santa. Well, I have never seen why the Hermit should of necessity be destitute and hungry. You can meditate and come up with wisdom in comfort as well as by being ascetic. He is as alone as any other. He can still ponder his past life (he's old !) and what he has got right or wrong; where he can go from here.

I found him in a window in a store - I THINK in Brussels, but I can't swear to it. The street light is certainly from there.

8 cups.

The cat leaves the castle. Leaves everything behind to seek something new. He is also the cat who walks by himself, like the one in the Just So stories. He goes by choice, but still to the unknown.

Also photo collage.

I had a lot of trouble getting the glasses transparent. I know how better now.... And the green of the grass did not agree with my printer, which hacked me off.

8 Swords.

Collage, not photos, but with photoshop just the same. Improbably, this was the hardest in terms of putting it together; the swords wouldn't stay where I wanted them to the naughty things.....

The butterfly thinks it is trapped; it could perfectly well get away if it just looked what it was doing. But it is afraid to look; like a bird trapped in your house, it just will not see the window. The longer it stays there, the more trapped it will feel. Vicious circle - hence the swords being IN a circle.

sacredashes

The Devil, The Hanged Man and The King of Coins

This has always been something I wanted to clarify; so there is an understanding of why the images are depicted the way they are in the cards I contributed.

The Devil

Smiling innocence; beguiling beauty; non-threatening demeanor... that is how we get drawn in. The bait cannot be hedious for we cringe in horror at something we perceive as unattractive; we will reject or banish that which we hate.

In a package soothing to our eyes, The Devil wraps its wares; it is an invitation to offer. It is up to us to make an offer but The Devil is not stupid.. no... it knows that by taking away that which we desire; it increases our level of desire and our obsession to own the thing that is forbidden. Proven track record to show for it too!

So, The Devil takes the form of a smiling girl cuddling a serpent; the dangers are there.. her horns are showing and the snake is HUGE but we'll see only what we wish to see.. a naked girl smiling come hither.

The Hanged Man

I first read the meaning of the Hanged Man here. However, this is what I wish to clarify; the image was done out of respect for a legacy that is both divine and a defination of what mankind is capable of.

I hope that there are those who can view it with an open mind for the focus is not one of religious connotations; but rather the teachings of one who lived by his word. He epitomizes the energy of ultimate surrender and sacrifice not forced, coerced or done for self-gain.

This image was not done in disrespect; in fact, I hoped to capture serenity in this card to depict the willingness to let go; of having faith in something greater than ourselves.

Though I removed the cross in this drawing to minimize religious association as much as possible; such an iconic image would never escape associations with or without the cross.

King of Pentacles

Reference of this image was taken from a photo of Amitabh Bachan in a plain white Indian traditional costume. I still can't fathom how someone can possibly look so regal in such plain clothings. A lot of changes was made to his face and hair.. for copyright reasons, of course ;) ...Mr. Bachan has a very distinguished face... beautiful looking man indeed.

Deep in thought, I imagined this King biding his time; so he can collect his hidden treasure... lots of hidden treasure. Wily and shrewd, his power lies not in crowns or septors.

It lies in that innate knowledge of how to use his resources so well that if he chooses, if it makes "cents", he'll buy his own kindgom.. when the time is right.

Ash