Back in print: The Buckland Romani

FLizarraga

For those of us who missed out the first time(s), the Buckland Romani Tarot is back in print by Galde Press. I received my deck yesterday.

The deck is here http://www.galdepress.com/book/buckland-romani-tarot-deck/, and the kit is here http://www.galdepress.com/book/buckland-romani-tarot-kit/.

I foolishly ordered the deck thinking that I could do without the book. Then I saw that the Magician was a woman with a knife, and the Hierophant a blacksmith :bugeyed:, and had to buy the book anyway. (Of course I saved a few bucks by getting the ebook on Amazon.)

It would be interesting to know how it compares to the previous edition(s). So far, I'm liking it. The art is pleasantly naïve, the colors and overall energy are lovely. Some cards, however, I just don't like --the 7 of Cups (Koros) is an example.

Oni

This in print again at a normal price! Thanks i never knew and would not know if you did not say this. I knew someone that had the original and i wanted it then. Now years later i have to rediscover this and see if i still want it

nisaba

Then I saw that the Magician was a woman with a knife,
That works for me as an expression of that Magician energy.

and the Hierophant a blacksmith :bugeyed:,
<rubbing hands> Hephaestos as Hierophant - excellent! Hephaestos (or he probably called him Wayland) works well for that kind of energy, too. :)

My dollars are committed for a little while, but on the strength of your descriptions of those cards, I'm lining it up for my Next Available Money.

Some cards, however, I just don't like --the 7 of Cups (Koros) is an example.
Sadly, every deck has one or more cards that don't work. It doesn't detract from the deck as a whole.

FLizarraga

Those particular images are very hard to read. You would have to see them. Like, I don't know, I get Kat Black's Fool, that white-clad woman with the tambourine, but this particular woman playing with a knife is not very "Magician-y" --if that were a word.

And I would completely embrace the idea of Hephaestos or Wayland as the Hierophant (well, probably in a non-Romani deck, anyway), but a handsome young guy shoeing a horse?

There's probably a good explanation for all that in the book, I guess. I haven't had time to check it out. What doesn't work for me (so far) is that you get cards like that and then others that are too cookie-cutter RWS. It's a vibrant deck, though.

That works for me as an expression of that Magician energy.

<rubbing hands> Hephaestos as Hierophant - excellent! Hephaestos (or he probably called him Wayland) works well for that kind of energy, too. :)

My dollars are committed for a little while, but on the strength of your descriptions of those cards, I'm lining it up for my Next Available Money.

Sadly, every deck has one or more cards that don't work. It doesn't detract from the deck as a whole.

Le Fanu

Am I missing something, wasn't this reprinted a long time ago?

I must have bought the 2nd edition 2009-ish. Or later. Is this a third edition?

It's the edition which has the titles in a white strip rather than in the little banners. That's the main difference, though some said the cardstock was different but I didn't notice a massive difference after comparing.

One of the other diferences is that the reissue of the book had colour plates then another printing used black and white pictures of the cards which miffed a of of people.

But are we now talking about a third edition?

Disa

I'm wondering the same thing, Le Fanu.

I got the second edition with the book in color several years ago.

I never realized the second edition went out of print?

karen0205

Am I missing something, wasn't this reprinted a long time ago?

I must have bought the 2nd edition 2009-ish. Or later. Is this a third edition?

It's the edition which has the titles in a white strip rather than in the little banners. That's the main difference, though some said the cardstock was different but I didn't notice a massive difference after comparing.

One of the other diferences is that the reissue of the book had colour plates then another printing used black and white pictures of the cards which miffed a of of people.

But are we now talking about a third edition?

No it's been printed again by Galde Press so it's the 3rd time it's being printed but it's not the 3rd edition.
It's the exact same version as they have been selling all along. I bet they didn't even change the
info inside the front of the book. We wouldn't even know it had been printed again unless someone here
mentioned they were sold out and asked about it. Galde Press is run by a woman out of her house and
she decided to print again because the existing stock ran out. I know she has no idea about editions
because I have talked to her on the phone about it. It's just a reprint, same as with the Deviant Moon,
that's been reprinted several times but the deck itself hasn't changed.

FLizarraga

Well, that's VERY precise intel! Thanks, Karen! You would make an excellent spy (009? 666?). :D

As for the Deviant Moon, the latest edition is a little different. The new cards are borderless (hence the name Borderless Edition), and one or two has minor changes. I have the China print of the previous one and have been on the fence ever since the new one came out.

No it's been printed again by Galde Press so it's the 3rd time it's being printed but it's not the 3rd edition.
It's the exact same version as they have been selling all along. I bet they didn't even change the
info inside the front of the book. We wouldn't even know it had been printed again unless someone here
mentioned they were sold out and asked about it. Galde Press is run by a woman out of her house and
she decided to print again because the existing stock ran out. I know she has no idea about editions
because I have talked to her on the phone about it. It's just a reprint, same as with the Deviant Moon,
that's been reprinted several times but the deck itself hasn't changed.

FLizarraga

Titles are on a white strip under the images, not in that raggedy-looking banner that the AT scans show. And the images seem to be the same as always. So it's a new reprint of whatever that edition was, like Karen said. Cardstock seems nice, but I haven't shuffled it yet --I'm trying to acquaint myself with it first-- so can't really tell.

The ebook has color plates, but then I don't know whether that's the same edition of the book that is being sold with the deck. I don't quite get why people wold be miffed about that sort of thing --although in my experience a lot of people are just waiting for ANY excuse to declare themselves miffed. Oh, well.

gregory

Oh hum do I NEED the new edition (I have the original...)

Leffy - do I ?

Oh - they don't do paypal anyway. That's annoying...