Bateleur's 'Wand' from 'missing' table leg?

BodhiSeed

Just wondering if there is any chance the magician made his wand from that missing table leg? As I am new to the Marseille, please forgive me if this is an idiotic question.

Thanks,
Bodhran

Moonbow

Hi Bodhran

There are no such things as silly questions in my book (a tip though... in Marseilles the Magician is known as Le Bateleur ) :D (shshhh.. I won't tell)

I found a thread which is very well worth reading, but notice that Diana mentions Le Bateleur's table leg in post #12. Have a read, and I'm sure others will also reply to you.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=1145&page=2&pp=10

Moonbow*

Fulgour

Trinity= 3 in 1

bodhran said:
Just wondering if there is any chance the magician
made his wand from that missing table leg?
There isn't a table leg missing. Three is correct for many reasons,
but basically because Le Bateleur is part of the Elemental Triad:

Aleph (Air) Le Bateleur
Mem (Water) XIII
Shin (Fire) Le Monde

And then, what Le Bateleur is holding is actually a "tube"
which works like this:

1 >.......3.......< 2

One twice equals the difference between them: Three.
Which you can illustrate this way: 1+1+1=1 Abracadabra!

Rusty Neon

Moonbow* said:
Hi Bodhran

There are no such things as silly questions in my book (a tip though... in Marseilles the Magician is known as Le Bateleur ) :D (shshhh.. I won't tell)

The 'Le Bateleur' card can be rendered into English many different ways: the most common being Magician, Mountebank, Juggler.

fyreflye

We happy few who truly understand the deeper mysteries of the Marseille will assure you that Le Bateleur's "wand" actually is the table leg, which he has removed, cleaned, and is inspecting before he replaces it. Ignore all other interpretations.
p.s. My translation of Le Bateleur is "The Trickster."

Fulgour

fyreflye said:
We happy few who truly understand the deeper mysteries of the Marseille will assure you that Le Bateleur's "wand" actually is the table leg, which he has removed, cleaned, and is inspecting before he replaces it. Ignore all other interpretations.
Now I see my error ~ I thought this question was about
the Tarot card. I didn't know a mysterious table leg had
shown up on ebay. Could this be A.E.Waite's lost brolly?

Tarotphelia

Looking here,

http://www.camoin.com/en/look/look.asp

in my opinion the table leg you see on the right of the card is a back leg. The tabletop continues on towards the right out of the picture , as you can see, and that would place the other front leg out of view. However, the legs are very uneven in length, perhaps purposely so to try to confuse the eye as much as possible . The job of any good magician.

Sophie

Rusty Neon said:
The 'Le Bateleur' card can be rendered into English many different ways: the most common being Magician, Mountebank, Juggler.

Juggler is probably the closest in spirit, although Bateleur seems to have more of a tricksy feel to it. If it's Magician, then it's to be understood as magician in the sense of conjurer, probably.

I see the Bateleur himself as the fourth table leg - he has to count on himself in all his travels, after all.

Moonbow

I agree with Dark Inquisitor that the leg on the right is the back leg of the table, and the fourth is out of view. What I see as more relevant is why is part of the table out of view. Perhaps we are not meant to consider the number four for this card because it would give the impression of stability and solidity and is not therefore representative of a travelling showman, trickster, mountebank, juggler, magician, or Bateleur.

BodhiSeed

Thanks

Thanks to all for your replies. It seems this new deck (Kris Hadar's) will take a couple of lifetimes to learn! Ah, but the journey will be an adventure!
Bodhran