best beginner spreads?

MantraTarot

i was wondering if anyone could recommend any spreads that would be good for a beginner to try?

Major Tom

I do hundreds of readings during the course of a year.

The spread I use most is the three card spread. Do a search. You can decide what the positions mean as you go. Start with past, present future but do be sure to pay attention to the question.

Another good one for a beginner is a cover and cross - two cards crossed. ;) Get used to card combinations. Do a cover and cross every day. Use your imagination.

GreenMoonBeam

Great question and super answers. Getting complacent with the 3 card
Past Present Future spreads. Many thanks
GMB!

littlestar

Depending on what you need to know i actually am starting to find the simpler spreads with less cards actually give more information than the larger spreads with more cards.

WinterRose

I agree with Littlestar - sometimes the more cards there are, the more confusing the answers, especially for the beginner. I'd also recommend the single card spread. Focussing on your question or problem, draw one card. It's a great way of getting to learn your deck and the meanings of the card, as well as teaching you how to relate those meanings to the happenings in your life.

There's also a great little spread from the Gilded Tarot book, designed by Kathie Vyvyan. She suggests using five cards a day (one for each aspect of the day), and she writes down her interpretation in the morning, then in the evening revisits it, and in a different colour writes down what actually happened, compared to the predictions she made from the cards. It's like a creative diary, and I think it's a great idea. This is her spread:

1 = Works (pertains to things you accomplish in a day, wether at a job or personal tasks)
2 = Home (Reflects people and activities connected with your home life - Personally, I've found that these two can actually overlap)
3 = Unexpected (Surprises and unexpected events - can be spiritual as well as physical!)
4 = Your Role (Your mood, actions, or reactions to people and events)
5 = Outcome (Often predicts a lesson learned or spiritual revelation)

tarotgimp

CelticDruidess said:
I agree with Littlestar - sometimes the more cards there are, the more confusing the answers, especially for the beginner. I'd also recommend the single card spread. Focussing on your question or problem, draw one card. It's a great way of getting to learn your deck and the meanings of the card, as well as teaching you how to relate those meanings to the happenings in your life.

There's also a great little spread from the Gilded Tarot book, designed by Kathie Vyvyan. She suggests using five cards a day (one for each aspect of the day), and she writes down her interpretation in the morning, then in the evening revisits it, and in a different colour writes down what actually happened, compared to the predictions she made from the cards. It's like a creative diary, and I think it's a great idea. This is her spread:

1 = Works (pertains to things you accomplish in a day, wether at a job or personal tasks)
2 = Home (Reflects people and activities connected with your home life - Personally, I've found that these two can actually overlap)
3 = Unexpected (Surprises and unexpected events - can be spiritual as well as physical!)
4 = Your Role (Your mood, actions, or reactions to people and events)
5 = Outcome (Often predicts a lesson learned or spiritual revelation)

I was going to mention the daily card for the same reason but i see it's allready ben mentioned. Another fun thing I find useful is to split the deck up into Major and Minor arcana, do your 3 card daily with just the minors and then spread the majors on a table face-down picking one at random. whenever I do this, I get the details of the day as well as a general "theme" from the majors. good luck. and welcome to AT :)

tarot gimp

-blessed be

thorhammer

I'm still a fan of My "Daily" Spread, which (IMO) helps me to learn the different dimensions and facets of each card, and really helps me not only relate the cards to my life and events of my day, but take the messages I receive and apply them to my life . . . after all, if I don't, then I'm just wasting my time reading, aren't I?

\m/ Kat

tarotgimp

thorhammer said:
I'm still a fan of My "Daily" Spread, which (IMO) helps me to learn the different dimensions and facets of each card, and really helps me not only relate the cards to my life and events of my day, but take the messages I receive and apply them to my life . . . after all, if I don't, then I'm just wasting my time reading, aren't I?

\m/ Kat

Not everyone reads solely for themselves but if that's your goal, sure I can get on with that :). With that said this could be fun to pull out at parties. Ocassionally I read for friends who've come over just to have a good time :)

thorhammer

tarotgimp said:
Not everyone reads solely for themselves but if that's your goal, sure I can get on with that :). With that said this could be fun to pull out at parties. Ocassionally I read for friends who've come over just to have a good time :)
Of course - I never meant it to be used other than for introspection, really. Gee, I never even thought of using it on others :laugh: but I guess that nothing's stopping you, is there?

\m/ Kat