Best deck cuts

Anna333

Hello

I would be interested in how you all cut your deck. I only read about one way that I stick to, which is holding a deck in left hand and loosely dropping into three piles before collecting back into one starting from the first dropped pile.

How do you cut yours, and is there a better way?

Thank you xx

AJ

a brand new deck I shuffle quite a bit, but after that I shuffle twice, take the back third and put it in the front and shuffle once again. I never order my decks except for when I get them, and if I sell them.

nisaba

Hello

I would be interested in how you all cut your deck. I only read about one way that I stick to, which is holding a deck in left hand and loosely dropping into three piles before collecting back into one starting from the first dropped pile.

How do you cut yours, and is there a better way?

Thank you xx

I get clients to cut the deck into four piles (not three, for a reason!), then put them back together. I don't care how they do it, with what hand, whether the piles are even or not.

When I'm reading for myself, I cut only once (because the four-cut thingie is about surprising the clients and adding extra randomness they weren't expecting after their shuffle), and I do it where the DECK wants to cut, I sorta nurse it in my hand and see where it wants to open. Sometimes that's near the bottom, sometimes it's near the top, sometimes it's near the middle. I don't care - as long as it's where the deck wants to open.

Yesterday, when I cut, it cut at the second card from the top <grin>.

Wendywu

I shuffle thoroughly, cut into three piles by dropping small stacks off the bottom of the stack, size of each stack varies with what feels good at the time, and then I use whichever one of the three heaps draws my eye most.

I'm reading for a person who is with me then they do the shuffling, cutting and stack choosing. I just deal and read.

Zephyros

I don't. Actually I don't do anything "by the book," not even my own book! Sometimes I shuffle, sometimes the querent does; sometimes the deck is cut and sometimes not; sometimes the sitter chooses the cards and sometimes I do. I always meant to formulate some sort of system but I never got around to it, and I'm far too old to begin now.

Tarot Orat

I don't cut the cards after shuffling, but I do have a shuffling system.

I shuffle seven times - I read somewhere that that's the magic number to randomize a deck - and each time I take some of the cards from the top and put them on the bottom. That way the cards get a chance to move around inside the deck. I guess in a way that does count as cutting the deck, I'm just doing it within the shuffle instead of afterwards.

BodhiSeed

This thread made me go in search of an old thread on shuffling by a former member:

THE FULGOUR SHUFFLE:

I start with Six piles from left to right...
1 2 3 4 5 6 but then put the 1st card on the 2nd pile
6 1 2 3 4 5 and so on...
5 6 1 2 3 4
4 5 6 1 2 3
3 4 5 6 1 2
2 3 4 5 6 1
It does something that's almost breathtaking...
which I can't describe, it must be experienced.

Beginning with laying down six cards ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 )
then for the next six, you skip to the second pile...
card 1 goes on card 2 ~ but then it's 1 2 3 4 5 6

Each set of six cards is laid down, with a skip over,
so the third 1 2 3 4 5 6 starts on the first 3rd pile.

It's easy (doing it once makes it easier) and the last
pile ends up being 1 2 3 4 5 6 right over the first set.

jolie_amethyst

This thread made me go in search of an old thread on shuffling by a former member:

THE FULGOUR SHUFFLE:

I start with Six piles from left to right...
1 2 3 4 5 6 but then put the 1st card on the 2nd pile
6 1 2 3 4 5 and so on...
5 6 1 2 3 4
4 5 6 1 2 3
3 4 5 6 1 2
2 3 4 5 6 1
It does something that's almost breathtaking...
which I can't describe, it must be experienced.

Beginning with laying down six cards ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 )
then for the next six, you skip to the second pile...
card 1 goes on card 2 ~ but then it's 1 2 3 4 5 6

Each set of six cards is laid down, with a skip over,
so the third 1 2 3 4 5 6 starts on the first 3rd pile.

It's easy (doing it once makes it easier) and the last
pile ends up being 1 2 3 4 5 6 right over the first set.

Thank you for digging this up; I hadn't seen it before. Tried it out and it certainly seems like a pretty good way to mix up a deck.

Put me in the category of "no set method" for cutting a deck. Sometimes I'll do three, others four, but mostly I won't bother. And I'm one who draws from a fanned deck rather than the top cards. I figure that potentially compensates for my sometimes poor shuffling. :D

Anna333

Thank you everyone. It's very interesting what others do to cut the deck. I should have been more precise and said when you cut for yourself. I m a very new to tarot so don't read for others, just did few for myself and having difficulties with interpreting. I will be trying your suggestions and see what will work for me. I also read about 7 being a special number...)) and that old method looks interesting.

Thanks again for your input :)

rwcarter

I shuffle thoroughly, cut into three piles by dropping small stacks off the bottom of the stack, size of each stack varies with what feels good at the time, and then I use whichever one of the three heaps draws my eye most.
This is the closest to what I do. I shuffle 7x, put the deck on the table and use my left hand to cut the deck into 3 piles from right to left, letting the deck tell me where it wants to be cut. My eyes are closed while I cut and also while holding my hand over each pile to feel which pile's energy draws my hand to choose it. I take that pile and put it on top, reassembling the remaining piles from right to left.

Then I do this 2 more times for a total of 21 shuffles.

Fulgour's shuffle is close to what I do with an ordered deck (whether brand new, bought used or just reordered by me for some reason). I randomly deal the deck into six piles (614325, 421635, 315246, etc) 13x. Once I've done that, I randomly take three of the piles, assemble them and shuffle them together. Then I take the remaining three piles, assemble them and shuffle them together. Then I shuffle the two piles together and continue with my shuffling method listed above.

Rodney