Best Egyptian mythology book of Thoth study

ravenest

There is also the 'Rosicrucian' (AMORC) versions written by Spencer Lewis but I would not reccommend it.

Aeon418

But will studying Egyption myth and symbolism help you understand the Thoth though? Erm...sort of...

The Egyptian imagery in the Thoth Tarot has essentially been borrowed, or co-opted, for uses that the ancient Egyptians probably wouldn't agree with or even understand. There is a degree of sympathy between the original usage and the new Thelemic use, but it would be a mistake to view them in a like-for-like fashion.

For instance the Egyptian goddess, Nut, is not the Thelemic, Nuit. Neither is Horus of Behdet the equivalent of the Thelemic Hadit. Re-Horakty is not Ra-Hoor-Khuit. In each case there is a kind of symbolic sympathy, but often the way the symbolism is used within Thelema, and expressed in the Thoth deck, is not quite what the ancient Egyptians intended.

Freddie

Great suggestions all. I have been reading all I can on the Sacred Texts site as I discovered a whole section there on ancient Egypt. I must read 'The Book of dead' again as I feel I might have been too young and unknowledgable to understand it properly.

Thanks,

Freddie

gregory

Ravenest, there was a version of the Book of the Dead that you recommended previously. I can't find the link now, do you remember the one that was discussed?

I don't know which was discussed before, though if that's what ravenest thinks today... but I was in a used bookstore the other day and while I do have a lovely copy in the UK, with pretty photos, I was interested to find the Dover edition of Budge for a mere $7. It has all the original hieroglyphs alongside the translation - which I find fascinating - my other one doesn't and it is hard to match them up. It was originally published in 1895, so won't be the Latest Theory or anything - but it looks interesting, if - heavy, rather than dusty !

ETA I think the one I have in the UK is the Faulkner / Andrews from the British Museum...

Freddie

But will studying Egyption myth and symbolism help you understand the Thoth though? Erm...sort of...

The Egyptian imagery in the Thoth Tarot has essentially been borrowed, or co-opted, for uses that the ancient Egyptians probably wouldn't agree with or even understand. There is a degree of sympathy between the original usage and the new Thelemic use, but it would be a mistake to view them in a like-for-like fashion.

For instance the Egyptian goddess, Nut, is not the Thelemic, Nuit. Neither is Horus of Behdet the equivalent of the Thelemic Hadit. Re-Horakty is not Ra-Hoor-Khuit. In each case there is a kind of symbolic sympathy, but often the way the symbolism is used within Thelema, and expressed in the Thoth deck, is not quite what the ancient Egyptians intended.

Indeed you are right Aeon. I enjoy the correct Egyptian symbolism the deck has to offer as opposed to the many decks that seem to misunderstand Egyptian mythology. I find the Thelemic tones of the Thoth interesting (and worthwhile to study), but I am not a huge fan of religion although I do believe in God.

For example I struggled with 'The Aeon' for a long time until I came across images and brief information on the Child Horus. Even though the information is not Thelemic based it still helped me to grasp what the image on the card is trying to convey. At any rate, I find ancient Egypt interesting (as well as the Eastern beliefs laden within the Thoth) and the deck only increases my desire to know more in an old school hermetic manner.

http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/religion/harpocrates.htm

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...rpocrates_Horus_the_Child_in_Double_Crown.jpg

Freddie

ravenest

Indeed you are right Aeon. I enjoy the correct Egyptian symbolism the deck has to offer as opposed to the many decks that seem to misunderstand Egyptian mythology. I find the Thelemic tones of the Thoth interesting (and worthwhile to study), but I am not a huge fan of religion although I do believe in God.
Yes, well I noticed you were asking what book(s) on Egyptian mythology/religion are the best for hermetic study, not what book(s) on Egyptian mythology/religion are the best for understanding the Thoth deck.

In any case, as you probably realise, its all background, and studying the originals will help with some understanding of the 'Thelemic-neo-Egyptophilosophy' in the Thoth deck.

At any rate, I find ancient Egypt interesting (as well as the Eastern beliefs laden within the Thoth) and the deck only increases my desire to know more in an old school hermetic manner.

Hermetics seems to be behind the advancements of Western and Middle-eastern Culture. It was one of the main reason ancient Egypt flourished as it did, when it went to Greece, their civilization bloomed, the same with Islamic culture. Eventually Hermetics infiltrated into Europe via Moorish Spain and the reconquister via Sicily and eventually began to lead Europe out of the Dark Ages. Perhaps it has even revitalised the Tarot?

There is a lot to be said for Hermetics and it is a worthwhile study.

Aeon418

Yes, well I noticed you were asking what book(s) on Egyptian mythology/religion are the best for hermetic study, not what book(s) on Egyptian mythology/religion are the best for understanding the Thoth deck.
This thread is titled, "Best Egyptian mythology book of Thoth study."

Freddie

This thread is titled, "Best Egyptian mythology book of Thoth study."

Hi Aeon,

I am interested in anything in relation to Ancient Egypt and how it is used in this deck mate..general Hermetic knowledge.

Love the posts guys as they are very informative. Aeon I always learn something from your posts here, thanks man.

Freddie