Best Tarot Books

greatdane

Paul Huson's Books

Isn't Paul Huson the author of Mastering Witchcraft, Mastering Herbalism and maybe some others in the same vein? It sounds like he comes at tarot from a slightly different perspective as some authors. Le Fanu, you sound like you know quite a bit about his writing, your thoughts?

GD

Lela

greatdane said:
Isn't Paul Huson the author of Mastering Witchcraft, Mastering Herbalism and maybe some others in the same vein? It sounds like he comes at tarot from a slightly different perspective as some authors. Le Fanu, you sound like you know quite a bit about his writing, your thoughts?
Why yes, it is the same Paul Huson. I too have read Mystical Origins and it's straight forward Tarot history, no new-age nonsense. What I liked about this book is that it lists an extensive bibliography from numerous sources for further reading, which is one thing I always look at to see where the author is basing their information on. To me this is the hallmark of a well-researched book. I also have read Mastering Witchcraft and Mastering Herbalism, but found Mystical Origins void of any influence from his involvement with Witchcraft at all.

daphne

Greg Stanton said:
They weren't conceived together, but I do think that if you like the deck (I do), Huson's insights into the cards as explained in his book will be invaluable.

I did not know this, I thought they go together from the start.
I heard about the deack after I aster inquiring about the Huson`s book.

Le Fanu

greatdane said:
I don't know that much about his writing, I've only read his book! :) I also reviewed his deck Dame Fortune's Wheel here at AT and deliberately did it before reading the book to know how/if the deck can be understood without it. It can. And Greg's right, the deck doen't "go with" the book. He wrote the book and then some time later designed the deck; so obviously the perspective has everything in common but the book is NOT a companion book, though I felt after reading it that his deck was a synthesis of his thoughts & perspectives on tarot.

His perspective to me simply feels wider and more informed than other authors. He examines different cartomantic tradition with equal attention so it isn't RWS-weighted. He looks at Etteilla and others. This is what tarot books should be doing and so rarely do. And - yes - gregory and others wisely recommended it to me...

greatdane

Thank you, Le Fanu!

Just noticed this thread updated! Gee, it's hard to keep up. Thank you for your thoughts. I have seen his name around and wondered.

GD

Greg Stanton

Mastering Witchcraft, Mastering Herbalism, and The Devil's Picturebook were written 40 years ago (or more) during the occult boom of the 60s and 70s. The Mystical Origins of the Tarot is a huge leap — Huson is older, wiser, and a much more mature writer than he was back then.

Oh Le Fanu, I just read your review - wonderful and inspired.

greatdane

Thanks, Greg!

Didn't know who Paul Huson really was, as I'm new, just remembered looking up his book re tarot and seeing those other titles. Obviously, you are more familiar with his work than I. Thanks for sharing.

GD

Michelina57

talk about inspiration!!

I go back again & again to "Tarot Celebrations : Honoring the Inner Voice"
1997 Geraldine Amaral & Nancy Brady Cunningham ISBN 1-57863-0114-2

Gets into archetypes, light work, shadow work, ritual, reading, spreads, Jung, poetry, quizzes and more. All while celebrating the individual cards, indepth Majors cards, with illustrations also! hope you can find this one! Michelina M

Rob

I'm a big fan of the Special Topics in Tarot series. While not necessarily "beginner" books, they all give excellent insights and inspirations into reading and make me want to pick up my deck and experiment.

There are 5 books in the series, and you can find them here:
http://www.llewellyn.com/browse_series.php?series=42

Freddie

'Mastering The Tarot' - Eden Gray (A 100% classic that maybe kickstarted the modern Tarot movement)

'Pictorial Key To The Tarot' - Arthur Edward Waite (Maybe the most classic book on Tarot ever)

'Tarot of the Bohemians'- Papus (The best book ever written about The tarot in my opinion)

I have recently taken to the works of Mary Greer and I would say She offers a refreshing view of the Tarot. She respects the Tarot and treats it like a living book that is ever unfolding its' knowledge.

Freddie