Bicycle/Ellusionist & other dark playing card decks

Belinda2

Le Fanu said:
I think that these decks (call them novelty if you will) are great for encouraging Playing Card Reading. Something a bit different when compared to the standard Poker deck, which I personally find a bit unexciting.
yes I am looking forward to doing some readings with these kinds of cards, having fun and learning as I go. I will have to get the book that you recommenced earlier, and start to studying the cards meanings. By using darker theme playing cards, the whole experience will seem more special, less common place.

Belinda2

paulrosk said:
I agree, there are plenty of decks out there to pick from! My Grandma used to read the Tarot with a standard Poker deck, but that was a long time ago! They didn't have the decks they have today! I'm sure you'll find a deck that inspires you.
well I have seen a few already I will just try to make myself buy one to start since I am a newbie, and see if it's for me and than go from there.

paulrosk

There are hundreds of decks to pick from, it hurts your head sometimes just thinking about it! So are you looking for "dark" cards, "fantasy" decks, or just something "different"?

Belinda2

paulrosk said:
There are hundreds of decks to pick from, it hurts your head sometimes just thinking about it! So are you looking for "dark" cards, "fantasy" decks, or just something "different"?
I am into dark cards right now so I was thinking about some of the Ellusionist decks like karnival the dead eyes deck ( that look like they have blood on them) or the karnival Assassin deck ( with the skeletons). I like a deck where the same theme is in each of the cards, all through the deck, many decks just have the color of the deck changed from standard card colors and only the joker is different.

paulrosk

I have the entire Karnival collection, the boxes and card backs are really cool, but the cards are just a standard Poker deck. The only cards with artwork are the Jokers and Ace Of Spades. Karnival decks come with a few GAFF cards, double-backs, etc. The Black Ghost deck is pretty dark so are the Alchemist X and Raider decks. The only problem with "black" cards is the edges get worn and turn white. Check out the Anne Stokes collection, she has some pretty "dark" themes.

http://www.annestokescollection.com/

http://www.annestokes.com/

Rhinemaiden

Le Fanu said:
you need the 1800 deck!

Le Fanu... please enable me on the 1800 deck! :)

to me it looks like old dirty cards... I know you are enamoured of the card stock... how it is different from other Bicycle decks??? I'm on the verge of buying, but just can't bring myself to hit the "buy now" button ... I have Tragic Royalty, Black Ghost... why do I need this deck?

thanks! :)

Le Fanu

It's dirty without the dirt, but well-loved with all the love!

What I especially love about it, even without the ageing, is that the courts are detailed like in the old-fashioned cards. So many courts nowadays cut corners and all the decoration and detail are minimised. These courts, behind the muck and filth, are boldly beautiful. Even if this were a non-aged deck, it would still be beautiful, the ageing just adds to it. Of course there's the cardstock. I have the blue backs which - to me - looks nicer than the red backs. It feels like a good, solid, useable, all-round charming deck, with the white glare taken off! and so cheap (ish!)

Rhinemaiden

Le Fanu said:
It's dirty without the dirt, but well-loved with all the love!

What I especially love about it, even without the ageing, is that the courts are detailed like in the old-fashioned cards. So many courts nowadays cut corners and all the decoration and detail are minimised. These courts, behind the muck and filth, are boldly beautiful. Even if this were a non-aged deck, it would still be beautiful, the ageing just adds to it. Of course there's the cardstock. I have the blue backs which - to me - looks nicer than the red backs. It feels like a good, solid, useable, all-round charming deck, with the white glare taken off! and so cheap (ish!)

Le Fanu... YOU are the best! :) Thank you for the detailed enabling! I, too, favor the blue backs and have that 1800 deck on my watch list... your comments on the court cards (I hadn't seen scans of the courts) tipped the scales for me. I'm going to press that buy button! :D

Again, my sincere thanks for your beautifully detailed enabling! :thumbsup:

Le Fanu

arrived!

Got my Karnival Dead Eyes. Totally in love. That and my 1800s are my official Top faves. It's morbid, it's heavy, it's creepy, it's threatening. A truly dark playing card deck, blood spattered and with those ransom note graphics and censored eyes and filthy edges. Everything about it is superb. The backs show an engraving of an anatomised corpse from the dissecting table. It's gruesome, it's sick and I love it! :heart:

Essjay

Le Fanu said:
Got my Karnival Dead Eyes. Totally in love. That and my 1800s are my official Top faves. It's morbid, it's heavy, it's creepy, it's threatening. A truly dark playing card deck, blood spattered and with those ransom note graphics and censored eyes and filthy edges. Everything about it is superb. The backs show an engraving of an anatomised corpse from the dissecting table. It's gruesome, it's sick and I love it! :heart:

A corpse back - I don't know if I could face that!