Birthdays

csdude

My birthday is coming up in less than a week :'-( This leads me to ask... do you think that a reading for yourself on your birthday has any special significance? If so, why?

nisaba

No, not really.

A day is a day is a day. On your birthday you only get a single day older, not a year older. I haven't even noticed my own birthday since I was a child and I've never memorised other people's birthdays, even my own family. It's just a day. The sun rises, you do fun stuff, the sun sets.

nisaba

Other people's mileage may differ. :)

Citrin

I either do a Year Ahead Reading on my birthday or on New Year's Eve. But I mean, in theory I could do it at any time of the year seeings it's a forecast a year ahead and can start at any time...?

If you feel that your birthday is very significant to you then I think a reading on that day could be extra meaningful. :)

Onaorkal

I personally have a thing for 'special days'. ;)
I like to discover new ways to feel in touch with my higher self and Mother Nature.

So a special spread for a birthday? Why not!
It's true that in itself a day is like any other day, but it's true of so many days during the year where we do celebrate for any reason.
I think the important is the meaning WE put into it. As one of my science teachers said "You have to see the extraordinary in the ordinary." :)

Tanga

It's important if you wish it to be.
Some years I can't be bothered.
Other years I'm in the mood, to skip work on that day (because I can - as I'm self employed), and throw a party complete with fancy dress and dancing/singing performances. :)

Birthdays - are a great big excuse to gather all your friends and family together in one place and eat cake in good company (they all get to meet each other if they haven't already and build new bridges or learn new things), acknowledge all you have accomplished and/or sustained, and walk forward into the adventure that is your life.
(and I write all my friends birthday's down so I never forget).
I don't look at it as "getting older" but rather as how many more years I've been able to hold my own and grow. And be in connection with other fabulous people.

Having said that - I never read for myself on my birthday. Lol.
I never read for myself much fullstop. Mostly - I use cards in ritual, meditation, or in ways to practice as a reader. And If I suddenly had the urge to have a 'year reading' done on my birthday - I think I'd book myself in for one with a favourite reader.

:) :)

Barleywine

It might be a good day to do a full astrological spread using all 78 cards, in the same way you would do an astrological solar return chart. I seldom read for myself any more, but this is something that might be useful as a full year look-ahead.

Apollonia

My birthday is coming up in less than a week :'-( This leads me to ask... do you think that a reading for yourself on your birthday has any special significance? If so, why?
Happy Upcoming Birthday! That to me is a special day (well, maybe for me especially because I nearly died on my day of birth, and so every year I am grateful that didn't happen).

I like to do a Wheel of the Year spread, this one:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=18992

I've also sometimes done a Horseshoe Spread asking what the year will be like, with the following positions:
1) Body
2) Mind
3) Spirit
4) Friends
5) Family
6) Spouse/Relationship
7) Pets
8) Career
9) Finances
10) Challenge
11) Blessing
12) Surprise

Whichever one I've done as the year goes on, I like to look back in my journal and see how everything played out.

EmpyreanKnight

I do put great store on special days and holidays, and my birthday is one of them. It just feels so good to celebrate milestones and, well, holidays do spread some infectious cheer so I might as well join jn the party. :D

I think a 12-card Birthday Spread for each month of my nth year would sound great. My birthday also falls on the first of a month, so it feels very apt. Once I become more proficient, I would try 36-card spreads, since 3 cards would more likely provide me with a clearer vision for each month. I am curious about trying three decks for that, with each of the three cards in a month coming from different decks, but that might be very complex so we'll see. :)

celticnoodle

[size=3+]:party: HAPPY UPCOMING BIRTHDAY! :party:
[/size]

I also hold my birth date as a great day to enjoy myself and I do that completely! It may be just another day to some--but its the day I hold very dear, just like special holidays and our Anniversary day.

Sure! do a reading for yourself! I do like Apollonia's spread shared here. I also like Barleywines idea of a 78 card spread but wow! that would take a long time to read, so don't do it on your birthday. That day is a day when you should really celebrate and enjoy yourself! Pamper yourself with a day doing just what YOU want to do. :)

EmpyreanKnight's idea of a 12 card reading would be much easier of course. :D and won't require as much room. You'd have to have a HUGE table (or maybe floor would be better) to lay out 78 cards!!! :bugeyed:

If nothing else, just figure out what your card of the year will be. Just add your birth month, birth day and the current year together. For instance, this year my birthday will be 10 + 01 + 2016. This adds up to 11 and also a 2. So I'll read the major arcana for those two numbers for what this new year will be for me.

This is Justice and the High Priestess. I already understand both exactly. You should try that if nothing else!

and, ENJOY YOUR SPECIAL DAY!!! :party: