BLUE BIRD LENORMAND.....It's Coming!

Cocobird55

I don't see it as a replacement either. I think the Lenormand World is large enough to support both decks.

Linfang

I saw it in stock on the Book Depository last night, by which time I'd already bought it from an ebay seller.

It is up for pre-order on Amazon Germany now, but without a delivery date. I am tempted, but not entirely sure I really need it.

greatdane

Really interesting comments...

What struck me were the images and I really don't care for inserts, but the images, the inserts and sayings (and I just ignore the last two) seem cohesive.

I don't see this as somehow a substitute for the Blue Owl either as the imagery is different for me.

I can understand what you're saying, IHeart, about direction of certain images. If one did larger spreads I get some would want things facing a certain or different way. With three cards, it just doesn't affect me so which way something is facing doesn't matter to me if I like a deck.

I do also like the card stock and how it shuffles.

This was a deck I wanted IN SPITE of the inserts and sayings, because those images just rocked my world.

MoonGypsy

I don't really understand why US Games is replacing the Blue Owl with this deck, as IMO they are quite different and not equivalent. The BB is pretty, and I do appreciate the deck in its own right, but the Blue Owl is...well, the Blue Owl. The BB features some lovely graphics, but for me the playing card insets are disproportionately large, and several images have been stretched; I could do without the doggerel, too. It would have been nice to have had a verse/no verse option. And I can see no reason for changing the Child to Children, or for making Crossroads/Paths into a single lane. Those alterations are not dealbreakers, but they matter to me as a traditionalist. I'll choose my Blue Owl every time over the Blue Bird.

I understand the BB's appeal and I don't regret adding it to the collection, I just don't see it as a replacement for the Blue Owl.

Well said, Astraea! i couldn't agree more! i don't mind PC inserts OR poems--but both are just too much IMHO. :love: i am not sure if i will purchase the Blue Bird, but i certainly do understand its appeal to some.

Le Fanu

I think there's more to it than this.

I really don't believe that one substitutes another. I suspect the Blue Bird has been done to maybe upstage the other and get its share of the market. The Blue Owl is one of those decks (like the Thoth) that I don't really think of as U.S Games. They distribute it. And the editions I see in Europe are Konigsfurt or AG Muller or Time Life. Maybe it's just so that U.S Games now has its own traditional Lenormand because the Blue Owl belongs to somebody else. Do buyers in the U.S assume that the Blue Owl is a U.S Games deck?

Cocobird55

I never thought of The Blue Owl as a US Games deck. All of mine are A G Muller.

Le Fanu

I never thought of The Blue Owl as a US Games deck. All of mine are A G Muller.
Maybe something's "run out" and they need a "historical" Lenormand fast? Otherwise I see no connection between the Blue Owl and the Blue Bird, except a suspiciously similar name.

LynnRA

Blue Bird Lenormand

It's been interesting following this discussion about the Blue Bird deck. As someone rightfully pointed out, the Blue Owl deck is still available but not through US Games. We were distributing it for years but it was often unavailable and we didn't want to make our customers wait for months so we created our own traditional Lenormand deck. While U.S. Games did not publish the Blue Owl deck, Stuart Kaplan was very involved in its original creation; He wrote all those verses nearly 40 years ago. So now he is reclaiming them as his own in the Blue Bird deck. Having the inset verses follows a long fortune-telling tradition (for example in the Gypsy Witch there are both playing card inserts and verses). We hope the classic design of the cards appeals to people and helps them learn the meanings. We are also publishing a guidebook to the Blue Bird system by Donnaleigh de LeRose. We offer numerous other Lenormand deck with different art styles, so it seemed fitting to have the classically inspired Blue Bird complete our lineup which includes Gilded Reverie, Celtic Lenormand, Under the Roses, and Maybe Lenormand and Dreaming Way Lenormand (coming in the spring). Hopefully something for everyone!
Thanks for your interest!

IHeartRescues

Blue Bird

Since the cards are a little wider than the Blue Owl, I think they hold the inset and verses quite well. It just adds to the feel of all the drapery on the Queens! It's my only deck w/ verses, while not being so busy as say Les Vieux Jours. Nice feel too!

LynnRA: I also feel the insets are crowding the ICONS out a bit (beautiful for the Courts but those GIGANTIC Aces...happy medium?)
And some cards imo of course, should be changed or modified in the next issue. (See below) A "classic" deck begs for traditional reading cues! Also noticing that w/some cards the coloring for the L. icons are very MUDDY-monotone (us. the Mice in other decks) which makes them hard to distinguish fm one another and adds a rather depressing feel (spec: garden, house, moon, roads).

I am holding them in my hands--How about a House that looks less like 2 paths, Clouds more distinctly dark and light, a Scythe that actually points in a DIRECTION, the single Road(s) has already been pointed out and so has the Key. As you can see I choose to work w/ directionality (as well as card order) so I agree w/ some of the more experienced traditionalists on these things.

I only CARE bc I really really love working w/ these cards and I feel improvements are "in order" to make this a really stand-out Lenormand go-to deck. My hope is US Games will listen to the forums' considerations when it's time for the next production (and up-coming Blue Bird book).

Thanks for reading Lynn :)

Astraea

LynnRA: I also feel the insets are crowding the ICONS out a bit (beautiful for the Courts but those GIGANTIC Aces...happy medium?)
And some cards imo of course, should be changed or modified in the next issue. (See below) A "classic" deck begs for traditional reading cues! Also noticing that w/some cards the coloring for the L. icons are very MUDDY-monotone (us. the Mice in other decks) which makes them hard to distinguish fm one another and adds a rather depressing feel (spec: garden, house, moon, roads).

I am holding them in my hands--How about a House that looks less like 2 paths, Clouds more distinctly dark and light, a Scythe that actually points in a DIRECTION, the single Road(s) has already been pointed out and so has the Key. As you can see I choose to work w/ directionality (as well as card order) so I agree w/ some of the more experienced traditionalists on these things.

I only CARE bc I really really love working w/ these cards and I feel improvements are "in order" to make this a really stand-out Lenormand go-to deck. My hope is US Games will listen to the forums' considerations when it's time for the next production (and up-coming Blue Bird book).
Well stated, IHeartRescues. I agree, and would add that If there are future additions, I'd like to see a non-verse option made available.