Book of thoth etteilla tarot

crystal dawn

I have just purchashed this deck. One of the things thats stood out when first glancing at the deck was that the major arcana are different to other decks in their numbering and some of the card names. Upon reading the lwb I found that etteilla had done this on purpose as he thought the tarot figures had become distorted ans so wanted to return them to their original appearance. This is a lovely deck. After some study of the major arcana of this deck the majors seem to make sense to me to correspond to the traditional majors as follows

standard tarot deck--------------------book of thoth etteilla tarot

0) The Fool-------------------------------0) Folly
1) The Magician---------------------- --15) Magician
2) The High Priestess-------------------12) Prudence
3) The Empress--------------------------8) Rest
4) The Emperor--------------------------1) Chaos
5) The Hierophant------------------------7) Birds And Fish
6) The Lovers---------------------------13) Marriage
7) The Chariot---------------------------21) Carriage (The African Despot)
8) Strength----------------------------- 11) Strength
9) The Hermit---------------------------18) Hermit
10) The Wheel Of Fortune-----------------20) Wheel
11) Justice--------------------------------9) Justice
12) The Hanged Man----------------------4) Heavens
13) Death---------------------------------7) Death
14) Temperance-------------------------10) Temperance
15) The Devil----------------------------14) Force Majeure
16) The Tower---------------------------19) Temple
17) The Star------------------------------6) Stars
18) The Moon----------------------------3) Plants And Birds
19) The Sun------------------------------2) Light
20) Judgement--------------------------16) Judgement
21 The World-----------------------------5) Person

blessings

crystal

Myrrha

It is a beautiful deck and very interesting to work with. I already have a lot of decks where the Trumps have the TdM/Golden Dawn names so it was more interesting to me to just let Trump 2 be Prudence and let "The Heavens" be "The Heavens" rather than try to match them to the names and order that we are more used to.

Paul Huson's book Mystical Origins of the Tarot is somewhat useful for the Pips as it gives a broader range of Etteilla's interpretations for them.

Myrrha

There is a list of astrological correspondences in one of the first posts in this thread, and a lot of historical info about "Julia Orsini" and the publishing history of Etteilla's deck although not much of use for actually trying to read with it.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=122602

Freddie

Well done to those sticking with and trying to use this deck. I find it to be a goodlooking deck and I still really enjoy the court cards in this one. I tried with it, but I just couldn't make it work for me.

Blessings and keep up the good work!!!

Freddie

Marilyn20

I'm also very interested in these Etteilla decks. It seem like another system: RWS, Thoth, Marseilles and now Etteilla. I like the look of this Book of Thoth, but which would be the best to start with?

The Grimaud Grand Etteilla?
www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/grand-etteilla/

The Book of Thoth Etteilla?
www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/book-of-thoth-etteilla/

Or the Lismon Etteilla?
This version: www.historicalretrospective.wordpress.com/2012/12/24/the-lismon-etteilla-tarot/
or this one: www.thegamecrafter.com/games/lismon-etteilla-tarot

I'm trying to build a small collection of one of each "system" of deck. Would this be the Etteilla deck to go with?

Myrrha

Well done to those sticking with and trying to use this deck. I find it to be a goodlooking deck and I still really enjoy the court cards in this one. I tried with it, but I just couldn't make it work for me.

Blessings and keep up the good work!!!

Freddie

Aren't the courts amazing? I didn't realize until actually trying to read with the deck but they are very expressive for all their subtlety. Each one has a real personality and character expressed with body language and facial expression. Maybe if you come back to it at some point it will click more? The interpretations are very fortune-teller style sometimes though.

Marilyn20 - I would pick the one that appealed to me most. That said, the Grimaud Grand Etteilla is an "Etteilla I" type deck, the one that was supposedly designed during Etteilla's life time and might be the design he actually used. I don't know if it actually was. Maybe someone who does know will post about it.

The Lismon is the next oldest and the one from Lo Scarabeo called Book of Thoth is a nineteenth century deck designed in the Etteilla pattern, Etteilla III. It has those gothic curly-que backgrounds that are very nineteenth century looking. I think it is really beautiful. There is more Masonic-looking symbolism in the Grimaud one which could be interesting.

crystal dawn

yes its a lovely deck, I did not mean to take anything away by adding my correspondances on the contary really, I thought that it can only add something. This would make a lovely majors only deck. The courts are lovely too. In fact the only minus is the minors, but even they are okay.
I really like the colours in this deck.

blessings

crystal

Freddie

yes its a lovely deck, I did not mean to take anything away by adding my correspondances on the contary really, I thought that it can only add something. This would make a lovely majors only deck. The courts are lovely too. In fact the only minus is the minors, but even they are okay.
I really like the colours in this deck.

blessings

crystal

Hi Crystal,

I like your correspondances and you haven't taken anything away from the deck.

Freddie

Penthasilia

I use my Etteilla quite a bit. And for anyone interested, I compiled meanings from a few sources to include the book that came with my 1890 deck, the book from Papus as well as the book from the Dusserre Ed- thought to be by Orsini. Anyone who would like a copy is welcome to it- just PM your email addy and I am always happy to send it along.

I'm also very interested in these Etteilla decks. It seem like another system: RWS, Thoth, Marseilles and now Etteilla. I like the look of this Book of Thoth, but which would be the best to start with?

The Grimaud Grand Etteilla?
www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/grand-etteilla/

The Book of Thoth Etteilla?
www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/book-of-thoth-etteilla/

Or the Lismon Etteilla?
This version: www.historicalretrospective.wordpress.com/2012/12/24/the-lismon-etteilla-tarot/
or this one: www.thegamecrafter.com/games/lismon-etteilla-tarot

I'm trying to build a small collection of one of each "system" of deck. Would this be the Etteilla deck to go with?

I find the Grimaud the most beautiful in all honesty. It is my favorite. But they all fall in the same line for meaning and so forth- so pick whichever calls to you art-wise. :)