Book written by Tarot

Honeysun

Hi everyone,

I've had this idea for a while...
I've been thinking of writing a book or a story, helped by Tarot cards.
I'd think of names for characters and let the cards determine their personalities, events and their reactions to these events. Of course, I wouldn't publish it or anything, but I believe it's a great exercise that could help me to apply the meanings of the cards to real life situations and I'd do research which would give me more knowledge.
Do you think this would be beneficial? Or completely unnecessary?
Do you think it'd work? Since the characters are fictional, that means they won't have any energy that Tarot cards could pick up on.

What are your thoughts?

seedcake

Story-telling techniques :heart:

You can check Tarot Spreads section - you can find many interesting spreads for this purpose. You can find the book too - "Tarot for Writers" and check YouTube for this subject. You'll find a lot :)

Honeysun

Story-telling techniques :heart:

You can check Tarot Spreads section - you can find many interesting spreads for this purpose. You can find the book too - "Tarot for Writers" and check YouTube for this subject. You'll find a lot :)

Thank you! May I ask, have you ever tried that?

Falcons + Pentacles

Fun!

Hey hey Honeysun!

I have done this, sort of, with one of my books. It was really fun! It was a 21 chapter book, one for each major arcana card, obviously. Each chapter marked a progression of the protagonists' growth from the Fool to the World.

In addition, for every chapter I pulled three cards and then drew up the plot, theme, and character interactions based on those cards under the umbrella theme of that chapter's corresponding major arcana card. The connections I found between all the cards were amazing. It was so fun to create in a moment to moment sense with the synchronicity of Tarot.

I also had characters based on all the kings and queens of the minor arcana, and that made it easier because I was in the beginning stages of learning to write and so I had some framework of each personality to work with, rather than having to create new people out of total thin air.

You can look at Youtube videos or books for this, or just completely go off your intuition and whatever ideas come up as you create. Enjoy! It sounds like you have a wonderful creative writing project ahead of you.

seedcake

Thank you! May I ask, have you ever tried that?

I still haven't got the book... I should change it soon. But I used cards for story-telling. Few times I wrote short stories based on three cards.

Tanga

"The Tarot of Perfection" by Rachel Pollack (author of The Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom).
A collection of short stories inspired just as you suggest Honeysun.
Have fun. :)

nisaba

You might be interested in reading a book called "Tarot for Writers" by Corinne Kenner.

fractalgranny

You might be interested in reading a book called "Tarot for Writers" by Corinne Kenner.

i just got that book.

i've written two short stories inspired by the tarot. i think there are quite a few books out there inspired by tarot.